DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Most Inexpensive Software That Will Allow Dlog/HLG color processing for Air 2S?

RGS2010

Reactions
I'm starting out doing real estate videos on a budget. The Air 2S was a BIG expense. What is the most inexpensive software program that will allow me to color grade D-Log and HLG files?

Thx!

I'm starting out doing real estate videos on a budget. The Air 2S was a BIG expense. What is the most inexpensive software program that will allow me to color grade D-Log and HLG files?

Thx!
Davinci Resolve. Not only is free, it’s also the best software. You would just use color management to transform D-log or HLG to your output colorspace (usually rec. 709).

There is also a paid studio version which is $299 for a lifetime license with free upgrades but nothing you have mentioned is a paid feature. Most people don’t require the paid version.

I have to say I agree: Resolve is incredible, esp. if you intend to add audio.

I've been working on a prototype YouTube post that includes stills (from both my Air 2S and my Nikon), as well as video (from both). The editing of the voiceover and Nikon audio within Resolve (once you get comfortable) is great... and you can't beat the price.

There IS a learning curve; hit YouTube to get generally familiar with Resolve and whenever you get stuck on a point.

Plus you can go full Ken Burns with the stills.

Note: the full video is something like 9 minutes long, the only drone footage happens in the first few minutes... the rest is stills and Nikon video. Further (planned) extensions will include more drone work.

Last edited:
Davinci Resolve. Not only is free, it’s also the best software. You would just use color management to transform D-log or HLG to your output colorspace (usually rec. 709).

There is also a paid studio version which is $299 for a lifetime license with free upgrades but nothing you have mentioned is a paid feature. Most people don’t require the paid version.
Thanks! I dabbled in Davinci Resolve a couple of years ago and found it difficult to use but I didn't go full in to the YT videos to learn it. After I posted this request, I found that my Adobe Premier Elements can do LUT files if you add the Logarist update to it. I'm familiar with posting videos with Premier for years so I'm going to play that string out and see if it can color grade my DJI dlogs well enough. One of the LUTS is actually a DJI LUT.

Reactions: maggior
I have to say I agree: Resolve is incredible, esp. if you intend to add audio.

I've been working on a prototype YouTube post that includes stills (from both my Air 2S and my Nikon), as well as video (from both). The editing of the voiceover and Nikon audio within Resolve (once you get comfortable) is great... and you can't beat the price.

There IS a learning curve; hit YouTube to get generally familiar with Resolve and whenever you get stuck on a point.

Plus you can go full Ken Burns with the stills.

Note: the full video is something like 9 minutes long, the only drone footage happens in the first few minutes... the rest is stills and Nikon video. Further (planned) extensions will include more drone work.
Nice video, interesting history!

Reactions: CalOldBlue
Thanks for all of the great comments and advice; very informative!

Isn't Resolve limited to h264 in free version? D-Log seems to be bound to h265.

Isn't Resolve limited to h264 in free version? D-Log seems to be bound to h265
The free version of DaVinci Resolve 17 is very liberal with the free stuff.... you can use h265 and export at 4K.

Thx!
We shoot real estate (along with other Industries) and Resolve has been excellent. When I 1st started out with a Phantom 4 years ago I learned Premiere, FCPX and Resolve. For me, Resolve was perfect because I love the color grading aspect. The color grading system is the best there currently is, especially free. Resolve 17 is much more intuitive then 15 when I was learning. You just have to find a good YT Channel that provides simple to grasp tutorials. Also, as was mentioned, the free version does indeed allow you to export 4k in h265 as well. I shoot DLog, 4k, 30fps 60 shutter, pretty much all the time now (especially since I have ND64 filters - so needed for the bright sun here in Fl) and export everything 4k h265. Can't beat free, especially when it is extremely high quality like Resolve.

Reactions: RGS2010
I have been using Resolve in my business for 4+ years. Resolve 17 is powerful and as others have mentioned, completely free. Resolve has numerous free tutorials currently available that can assist you going forward. Good luck.

Reactions: Rudiger and RGS2010
I use resolve and it is very very good for what it does.... if you are shooting in Raw formats then I can suggest a plug in that you might be interested in... you can actually take the footage from your drone and the plug in will convert it to the Arri Alexa footage ( $70K camera ) or other camera to choose from... they add new cameras pretty frequently so you get a good choice on how you want your footage to turn out... Camera Packs - FilmConvert

Reactions: RGS2010
We shoot real estate (along with other Industries) and Resolve has been excellent. When I 1st started out with a Phantom 4 years ago I learned Premiere, FCPX and Resolve. For me, Resolve was perfect because I love the color grading aspect. The color grading system is the best there currently is, especially free. Resolve 17 is much more intuitive then 15 when I was learning. You just have to find a good YT Channel that provides simple to grasp tutorials. Also, as was mentioned, the free version does indeed allow you to export 4k in h265 as well. I shoot DLog, 4k, 30fps 60 shutter, pretty much all the time now (especially since I have ND64 filters - so needed for the bright sun here in Fl) and export everything 4k h265. Can't beat free, especially when it is extremely high quality like Resolve.
Thanks for that valuable info...I'll definitely revisit Resolve on that glowing recommendation. Do you use ND filters for indoor shooting too or just outdoor? ...I imagine just outdoor since you want light and sharpness indoors (if you do indoors at all).

I use resolve and it is very very good for what it does.... if you are shooting in Raw formats then I can suggest a plug in that you might be interested in... you can actually take the footage from your drone and the plug in will convert it to the Arri Alexa footage ( $70K camera ) or other camera to choose from... they add new cameras pretty frequently so you get a good choice on how you want your footage to turn out... Camera Packs - FilmConvert
Downloaded DJI plug-in for Air 2S. I don't understand the desire to format it for other cameras if the footage was taken from Air 2S, please school me.

Okay, downloaded Davinci Resolve 17...where is the best support thread to ask for help? I will scour YouTube of course.

Reactions: maggior
you tube will be your best source... the only problem is that there can be several wqys to accomplish results in DR17... so you most likely just need to find one of the posters that you find easier to learn from... but at least you won't have to worry about finding content... also, if you get the itch to purchase the studio version try to see what if any deals they have... some times they give out the keyboard editor for free with the package or if you get a camera from them you get a free studio version that way too... they do have nice cameras... you might even find a discounted key on ebay...some of those sellers have several cameras and will sell the extra key as you only need one....and once you get a key you get life time upgrades... so its a much better deal than the money grabbers of Adobe

Okay, downloaded Davinci Resolve 17...where is the best support thread to ask for help? I will scour YouTube of course.
Check out Casey Faris on YouTube. I learned a lot from his videos, especially regarding workflow.

I use optimized media in the media pool and edit in HD rather than 4k. When I render the project, I change it to 4k. After I am done with the project I clear out the optimized media since it takes up a ton is disk space. Google those ideas for the specifics. Those few things made it so much easier to edit and scrub clips quickly.

another nice software to have is the Topaz video enhance... but you do need a pretty beefy computer for it to work well

use optimized media in the media pool and edit in HD rather than 4k. When I render the project, I change it to 4k. After I am done with the project I clear out the optimized media since it takes up a ton is disk space. Google those ideas for the specifics. Those few things made it so much easier to edit and scrub clips quickly.
Resolve automatically uses smaller proxy files to edit then renders in the higher resolution format you want on export so even a modest computer can handle the work. An old or lower spec computer will crawl on export but can still handle the editing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy