DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Moverio Drone Soar App thread (renamed)

Got out today and did a little flying. Got what I think to be all of the features to work. The Live View head tracking is cool. Took a little getting used to, but then I was able to make it feel pretty natural. I was able to see the full screen "Drone view" which I was missing the last time, as well as the heads up display view.

I wasn't sure if "Land" meant, RTH and Land or just Land where you are - so I didn't try it...not being sure if I could stop it once it starts landing. Does the app support RTH? Is that what LAND means? If so, what is the RTH height and where is that set?

I did hit a glitch, however. I went into Moverio mode and started to try to use Live View at the same time. Live View did not seem to work and then the app froze. C1 and C2 no longer brought up the menu. Obviously, I still had connection via the controller to the MPP, but the app stopped updating video and did not seem to respond to any head movements. I landed the drone manually and then tried to get out of the app with no luck. I ended up killing the app from the system menu. It took a couple of more tries before I could get the app to connect to the MPP again...but it finally did. I launched GO4 in the interim and it all worked, so I know there was no issue with connectivity in my devices.

Now my thoughts:
  1. Head Tracking
    1. It's a cool feature. Has some really great potential
    2. For gimbal up and down, it's very natural. Look up, it looks up. Look way down, it looks way down. Very nice. It's a little sluggish on the uptake, but it's reasonable enough to figure out what to do to get to what you want.
    3. For rotation left and right, not so much. This is a feature I think I'd like the option of turning off. Here's why:
      1. Since, on the Mavic, the horizontal motion actually turns the drone, it effects the flight path. If the MPP had a 3D gimbal and could rotate horizontally independent of the flight path, I could definitely use this the same way as the vertical tracking. But having it linked to the flight path makes the feature pretty useless. If I'm focused on flight path, I'll just use the stick. I have to press a key anyway, so the stick is more natural (when flying) to rotate the bird. Again, I'd feel differently if the Mavic had horizontal travel in the gimbal...so let me turn that feature off and still use vertical tracking!
      2. So...if I use my head to turn the drone horizontally, and since rotation is a little sluggish, I need to get it started and then kind of figure out how far I turned it...then try to turn some more. Not being an owl, it's a bit tough to turn enough - particularly if I want to turn the drone 180 degrees.
      3. It would be a good feature if the device could sense the speed of my head turn and turn more if I go fast. Kind of like using a Wacom pen or a good mouse. Quick movements have larger differential on the axis. That would make it possible to spin the drone 180 degrees without having to turn my head so far that I lose visual sight of the drone!
  2. Menu system
    1. Not a fan of the C1 C2 menuing together. It's a bit awkward to have to use those buttons. I guess it's OK, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I see how not having to use the trackpad is a plus...but I wish there was another way.
    2. The menu items move around where I don't expect them to. Once you're in the air, the menu shifts...landing is not where take off was and that was confusing. Something else is in the take off position and I'm not sure what or why. It's not intuitive to me.
    3. Having to go to the menu system to turn off Moverio Mode is cumbersome (I'm also not sure why I would use Moverio Mode in real application).
  3. Heads up display and view screen
    1. The display is simple and that's a good thing. It's not cluttered like Go4. When in heads-up mode, there is plenty of room to look through and see the drone. Clever. The circular display of what the drone sees is pretty useless, though. At least to my old eyes. Maybe the young-ins can make heads or tails of what's in that circle, but it looks pretty sparse to me. I prefered to go to the Live View and look through the image at the drone for VLOS.
    2. The Live View mode is cool. Very clean and immersive. Makes good use of the Moverios. Again, that clean interface leaves so much nice real estate for the view from the cockpit. That's a really nice look that is better (IMO) than Go 4.
  4. Settings
    1. We need more settings! I'm guessing this is something you're working on...but there's SO MUCH to be tuned.
  5. Summary
    1. This is a POTENTIAL app. I think the interface is clean and minimal. The app though, seems rudimentary. There are a lot of features "missing" when compared with Go 4. Not sure if this is designed to replace Go 4, but if it is, you've got a ways to go...for.
    2. I want to see more of this app. I'm looking forward to seeing more and more functionality and usability worked into it.
Thanks for letting me play with it. I hope to upgrade and continue to try to contribute!

- Gary

Last edited:
Time to move on from these moverio glasses. We are waisting the summer waiting for a app that really works with out issues. The DJI goggles are big and clunky but work all the time with out the app crashing and you can have a second device connected for back up.

Reactions: H_copter
I wish I could be added to the beta test group. DJI Go 4 really bogs down the Moverio's... and doesn't make good use of the augmented view capabilities.

We are here and working. Beta testers can Chime in and verify we are getting very close. Don't want to put the app out there and have issues we can avoid.

We are here and working. Beta testers can Chime in and verify we are getting very close. Don't want to put the app out there and have issues we can avoid.
Great to hear from you! Please make sure Mavic Air is selectable and that the flight logs upload as well.

Agreed! They are getting very close. As a software developer, I appreciate the value of thorough evaluation and testing.

P
I heard Mavic Air is still not selectable and that flight logs don't get shared via AirData. These two things are important.

I am worried that Epson will develop an app that is out of date like the operating system they selected! if the Air is not included will the dreamed of Mavic Pro-2 be compatible?

I am worried that Epson will develop an app that is out of date like the operating system they selected! if the Air is not included will the dreamed of Mavic Pro-2 be compatible?
I understand the concern since Mavic Air was released January 23, 2018 and it's not in the new HUD apk from what I hear.

I believe that Multirotors are advancing now and technology is changing annually as the mobile phone is.People upgrade all the time! If the Epson app is working on older DJI products than the current year then the app will probably be of no use in 2019!

I believe that Multirotors are advancing now and technology is changing annually as the mobile phone is.People upgrade all the time! If the Epson app is working on older DJI products than the current year then the app will probably be of no use in 2019!

What they are doing now, is not a normal adaptive upgrade though, since Epson is trying to add new features. The more typical adaptive upgrade shouldn't be as much of a problem, as long as they are reasonably on top of them.

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
    1. For rotation left and right, not so much. This is a feature I think I'd like the option of turning off. Here's why:
      1. Since, on the Mavic, the horizontal motion actually turns the drone, it effects the flight path. If the MPP had a 3D gimbal and could rotate horizontally independent of the flight path, I could definitely use this the same way as the vertical tracking. But having it linked to the flight path makes the feature pretty useless. If I'm focused on flight path, I'll just use the stick. I have to press a key anyway, so the stick is more natural (when flying) to rotate the bird. Again, I'd feel differently if the Mavic had horizontal travel in the gimbal...so let me turn that feature off and still use vertical tracking!
I just remembered I wanted to comment on this. I do prefer "options" on features, rather than killing a feature. I think I like might like the feature as described, while others might not.

I just remembered I wanted to comment on this. I do prefer "options" on features, rather than killing a feature. I think I like might like the feature as described, while others might not.
Yes...an option is what I had in mind. Allow the use to turn off horizontal head tracking if they want to, but keep vertical working. I suppose an option on the vertical would be good for some people as well.

I still have not gotten an answer to my question about "LAND". I was hoping someone from Moverio would comment. Specifically, is LAND the same as RTH? If so, at what height will the drone return?
If not, once landing has begun, can you stop it?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas