DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The ONLY way to film yourself with a Mavic Mini when mountain biking (Mini SE, Mini 2)

hydrolift

Reactions
I am a keen mountain biker and primarly use my orignial Mavic Mini for MTB reviews on Youtube. The problem that I have is that I cannot film myself since active track on ANY DJI drone is useless when trying to film yourself when riding fast in terrain.

I am not talking about pointless and silly tracking reviews that I've seen where a cyklist is going at 5-10 km/h on asphalt. I want something that can follow me a little bit faster than that. The only drone that can do this is probably the Skydio 2, but I keep my hopes up for the Mavic Mini 3.

My contribution to this problem is a video where I show my best (only) way to film myself while riding MTB (waypoints), but I would love to hear if there are any other ways that actually work so I can ride much faster and get even more exciting footage.

Thanks!
//Olof

If there are no trees then the current non mini products all can track you to a certain extent
Hi!
I have seen some half baked attempts, but the problem is that as soon as you are going fast and change directions rapidly even the non-mini drones will fail. Rapid descends also seem to be a problem for the DJI drones, so filming downhill MTB, as far as I can see, is out of the question.

A leisurely ride in an open field without a single tree in sight - sure! DJI drones seem to me as more cinematic flying machines rather than flying action cameras.

Hi!
I have seen some half baked attempts, but the problem is that as soon as you are going fast and change directions rapidly even the non-mini drones will fail. Rapid descends also seem to be a problem for the DJI drones, so filming downhill MTB, as far as I can see, is out of the question.

A leisurely ride in an open field without a single tree in sight - sure! DJI drones seem to me as more cinematic flying machines rather than flying action cameras.
I just watched the video, excellent information and great presentation. It is true that skydio is unmatched in that regard but your waypoint method is the next best thing.

maybe program the drone to go back and forth a few times so that you get multiple ‘takes’ before needing to start the waypoint mission again?

Reactions: hydrolift
I just watched the video, excellent information and great presentation. It is true that skydio is unmatched in that regard but your waypoint method is the next best thing.

maybe program the drone to go back and forth a few times so that you get multiple ‘takes’ before needing to start the waypoint mission again?
Thanks!

That's a really good point!! Maybe it is possible to set up a loop in Litchi and let the drone lap it for about 20 minutes. Then I could go as fast as I want around the set track and still catch a few seconds or more on each lap. After that I could just stich everything together when editing.

Reactions: test2000Anafi

I wish DJI drones will someday be at this level. You could set up the entire run in mere minutes. I believe you can even have the drone track you as the subject along the set path.

but even though time consuming: your current method is still great because as evidenced it still shows amazing shots, not to mention that you were able to achieve this with just a mini

Edit: I should have mentioned your footage looks pretty darn good and your technique seems to be working well.

I’ve experimented with my Air2s doing some motorcycling footage. Even with active track, it’s a crapshoot. There are times the tracking is astonishingly good, but it often loses me, esp. when my speed is too fast (not very fast at all). At all times, movements of the drone are slow and careful, so it is definitely not the right too; for close “chase” footage.

I suggest using your drone for establishing b-roll, and for “tripod” shots near your ride path, and adding ActionCam and Insta360 clips for interest. I have found the latter pretty good for setting on a ”selfie” tripod and riding by, or setting on the ground and riding “over”. You can then frame a nice pan later in the 360 editor.

I need to do more experimentation, myself.

This video is a mix of techniques. I rode that little gravel road about eight out-and-backs!

Edit: I should have mentioned your footage looks pretty darn good and your technique seems to be working well.

I’ve experimented with my Air2s doing some motorcycling footage. Even with active track, it’s a crapshoot. There are times the tracking is astonishingly good, but it often loses me, esp. when my speed is too fast (not very fast at all). At all times, movements of the drone are slow and careful, so it is definitely not the right too; for close “chase” footage.

I suggest using your drone for establishing b-roll, and for “tripod” shots near your ride path, and adding ActionCam and Insta360 clips for interest. I have found the latter pretty good for setting on a ”selfie” tripod and riding by, or setting on the ground and riding “over”. You can then frame a nice pan later in the 360 editor.

I need to do more experimentation, myself.

This video is a mix of techniques. I rode that little gravel road about eight out-and-backs!

I think I've seen your video before. The Air2s definitely tracks better than the Litchi app. I heard that the Maven app should have better tracking, maybe I should give that a go.

Agree, DJI drones so far are not really good for following fast moving objects so tripod mode and establishing shots are probably what work best.

Great video btw!

Reactions: mathomas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder