DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Proposed Amendment to Section 336: Test for Recreational Drone Operators

"Flying model aircraft is much more than a hobby; it is an effective tool for teaching science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to many kids and teenagers. For many of these young people, the hobby leads to successful careers in aviation and engineering – jobs that are increasingly vital to our future. In fact, many famous aviators started flying model airplanes at a young age, including astronaut Neil Armstrong and aerospace pioneer Burt Rutan. I am deeply concerned that eliminating the Special Rule for Model Aircraft will not only impact me, but future generations."

I wouldn't sign it just because of this attempt at evocative nonsense, that was if I actually believed in what they're saying. I see nothing wrong with this, because now drone owners would not be able to feign ignorance about the rules and use that to do whatever they want, because they think their version of VLOS is more fitting that what it actually means. Quite frankly, based on the sheer stupidity of the actions of others, people should be happy that the rules in this proposal aren't more severe.

The only question I have is, will they differentiate little toy planes that kids fly from the drones that are causing the issues?

Yet another example that any idiot can propose laws. The way the proposal is written indicates to me that this yet another person that does not have a clue about the subject. I think someone should administer a quiz to these people to test their knowledge of the situation before they are allowed to propose laws. However, this is probably why we see very few of these proposals pass.

upload_2018-4-25_10-12-5.png

Chapter 441 applies to "aircraft"... as in manned aircraft. She is proposing that model airplane fliers all need to register their hobby planes with the FAA. Just like a manned aircraft would. Yeah, because me wanting to fly a model plane in a park one afternoon is the same as flying a manned aircraft so the registration should be the same. How is the registration of a UAV going to serve to prevent it from being flown near an airport? How are the numbers on the side of the UAV going to help it be identified like a manned aircraft? We are already required to have this identification someone on the UAV.

upload_2018-4-25_10-18-6.png

Again an example of someone that does not understand the difference between a UAV and manned aircraft.

I could go on and on about how stupid this proposal is. Bottom line, it's simply another proposal. There have been a lot of these proposals in the past. None of them have made it very far. Nothing new here.

Reactions: Lopez0015
Hobbyists, hiding behind CBO rules, to violate FAA regulations are making this happen. Stand by for more.

Well one thing is for sure. Whenever you get the Govt involved the outcome usually reduces your ability to do whatever it is that they say they are making more safe. The idiots will always be there ignoring the rules that others follow so nothing really changes except their ability to screw you.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Well one thing is for sure. Whenever you get the Govt involved the outcome usually reduces your ability to do whatever it is that they say they are making more safe. The idiots will always be there ignoring the rules that others follow so nothing really changes except their ability to screw you.

That is how laws usually work. You are free to do anything... and then laws are made. However, in this case Section 336 actually stated that only certain rules would apply to hobby flight and that the FAA could _not_make additional rules (which they did under the guise of safety).

The AMA has done a great job with the model aircraft community. They have made rules that the feel will keep the hobby safe and enjoyable.
Unfortunately, the AMA has refused to adjust their safety rules to accommodate FAA regulations. Therefore, this "all or nothing" attitude from the AMA, means that the AMA regulations, as the apply to drones, have got to go. If that means revoking section 336 then so be it.
This is not freedom of speech, or freedom of the press. This is flying drones, which is a privilege not a right. You don't get to be unsafe in the eyes of the government and the public just because the AMA won't change.

The AMA has done a great job with the model aircraft community. They have made rules that the feel will keep the hobby safe and enjoyable.
Unfortunately, the AMA has refused to adjust their safety rules to accommodate FAA regulations. Therefore, this "all or nothing" attitude from the AMA, means that the AMA regulations, as the apply to drones, have got to go. If that means revoking section 336 then so be it.
This is not freedom of speech, or freedom of the press. This is flying drones, which is a privilege not a right. You don't get to be unsafe in the eyes of the government and the public just because the AMA won't change.

I don't think its an "all or nothing" attitude. I think its a fight for basic rights. I have been flying RC for 30 years and been a member of the AMA for many of those. They have done a great job watching my back. During those years I got married and had kids. I have not had really any time to fly RC as I would like but have gotten in to drones now.

I find that as I get closer to retirement my goal of being able to fly again is going out the window in favor of being judged incompetent or guilty of doing something wrong and being treated accordingly which is frustrating as hell. What else are they supposed to do? Just roll over for the FAA? If that is the case then what is the point of standing up for our rights?

I don't think its an "all or nothing" attitude. I think its a fight for basic rights. I have been flying RC for 30 years and been a member of the AMA for many of those. They have done a great job watching my back. During those years I got married and had kids. I have not had really any time to fly RC as I would like but have gotten in to drones now.

I find that as I get closer to retirement my goal of being able to fly again is going out the window in favor of being judged incompetent or guilty of doing something wrong and being treated accordingly which is frustrating as ****. What else are they supposed to do? Just roll over for the FAA? If that is the case then what is the point of standing up for our rights?
I am sure that the AMA will be doing good work for many years to come. Especially with dedicated members such as yourself supporting the cause. Happy Flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S