DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum The road to nowhere

I'll do a take-off on what @Dale D just started. I liked what Dale did and though it could use a little more drama. So I took his version added a bit of saturation, but then added subtle vignetting in the forground to add visual direction. I thought my first version could be brightened a bit, and created a nuanced second version, but I think I like the darker version better.

In my second version I adjusted the curbes until it just under 255 (white without detail), but sometimes, and perhaps in this instance, getting the full spectral range isn't the best thing to do. All a matter of taste, isn't it?

1607016123782.png

1607016572024.png

Last edited:
I like yours best. I liked the wet road look and I didn't like the warm tones in the corrected versions. And what would Hockney's Pearblossom Highway be without the red sign?

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
I'll do a take-off on what @Dale D just started. I liked what Dale did and though it could use a little more drama. So I took his version added a bit of saturation, but then added subtle vignetting in the forground to add visual direction. I thought my first version could be brightened a bit, and created a nuanced second version, but I think I like the darker version better.

In my second version I adjusted the curbes until it just under 255 (white without detail), but sometimes, and perhaps in this instance, getting the full spectral range isn't the best thing to do. All a matter of taste, isn't it?

View attachment 118388

View attachment 118390

Yeah I agree it’s just a matter of taste... having said that. You did a great job with my picture... thank you..

Yeah I agree it’s just a matter of taste... having said that. You did a great job with my picture... thank you..
I guess the point of this exercise it to stress that we can shoot in RAW and really make these images much better in post-production. All varieties (endless, really) of changes can be made to this photograph. Removing a road sign and a light pole would be the obvious places to start.

I guess the point of this exercise it to stress that we can shoot in RAW and really make these images much better in post-production. All varieties (endless, really) of changes can be made to this photograph. Removing a road sign and a light pole would be the obvious places to start.

Wow was it really that bad.??? Yeah I suppose it was ?

NO! Platinum4- It was not bad at all. It was really good. But when I see an image that screams out, "edit me!!!" I cannot resist. Your image of the road immediately triggered my brain to say, this can be made a better image if there were more contrast, warmth, details in the sky and clouds and leaves, and removal of distracting eye-catching objects like road signs. There is not much time to fiddle with color settings when your drone is in the air, and plenty of time to correct a RAW image (I always shoot RAW stills and equivalent of RAW in video), in post- production.

NO! Platinum4- It was not bad at all. It was really good. But when I see an image that screams out, "edit me!!!" I cannot resist. Your image of the road immediately triggered my brain to say, this can be made a better image if there were more contrast, warmth, details in the sky and clouds and leaves, and removal of distracting eye-catching objects like road signs. There is not much time to fiddle with color settings when your drone is in the air, and plenty of time to correct a RAW image (I always shoot RAW stills and equivalent of RAW in video), in post- production.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

As Dale D said... no it isn't that bad. It's that good! If it weren't it wouldn't be worth fiddling with!

As I looked again at the images I had yet another vision for it; a little wider perspective adding to the drama of the converging lines with a little more sculpted vignetting to lead the eye in a little deeper, with one or two subtle retouch elements.

1607099828420.png

As I looked again at the images I had yet another vision for it; a little wider perspective adding to the drama of the converging lines with a little more sculpted vignetting to lead the eye in a little deeper, with one or two subtle retouch elements.

View attachment 118456

OH.... now you’re just showing off....... just kidding.... thanks for turning my mediocre picture.into a postcard.... I wish that I could work this magic. With the limited editing on my iPad mini 5....

OH.... now you’re just showing off....... just kidding.... thanks for turning my mediocre picture.into a postcard.... I wish that I could work this magic. With the limited editing on my iPad mini 5....
Sorry to disagree but in may opinion, the extreme distortion from a super wide angle approach detracts from the image. I can see this especially well in those branches that stick into the road coming in from the left side. They are all distorted.

For Platinum4- You cannot wish yourself to learn, especially if your are trying to do it on a tablet. Photoshop has been my passion and hobby for many years. There are really great learning tools and videos for it. The more powerful a computer you have, the better off you will be in editing videos and images.

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree but. in may opinion, the extreme distortion from a super wide angle approach detracts from the image. I can see this especially well in these branched that stick into the road coming in from the left side. They are all distorted.

For Platinum4- You cannot wish yourself to learn, especially if your are trying to do it on a tablet. Photoshop has been my passion and hobby for many years. There are really great learning tools and videos for it. The more powerful a computer you have, the better off you will be in editing videos and images.

Maybe if and when we can get through all that is going on in the world.. and things go back to some kind of normalcy..than and only than. I will upgrade to something better. Right now I have to deal with the problem at hand....

Sorry to disagree but. in may opinion, the extreme distortion from a super wide angle approach detracts from the image. I can see this especially well in these branched that stick into the road coming in from the left side. They are all distorted.

Obviously everything comes down to taste Dale. In terms of "distortion" I'm simply not seeing what you're seeing even after having looked for it after your comment. JMO

Dale is right about learning and trying to do Photoshop on a tablet. It requires far more precision than a tablet can provide on it's best day, regardless of what Apple or Microsoft will try to have you believe. And while YouTube has a ton of tutorials, the thing to study isn't so much the "how" of editing/retouching, but the "what". Learning to have a vision far outweighs ones editing techinque, as Photoshop usually offers 3 or more ways of accomplishing the same tasks.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Obviously everything comes down to taste Dale. In terms of "distortion" I'm simply not seeing what you're seeing even after having looked for it after your comment. JMO

Dale is right about learning and trying to do Photoshop on a tablet. It requires far more precision than a tablet can provide on it's best day, regardless of what Apple or Microsoft will try to have you believe. And while YouTube has a ton of tutorials, the thing to study isn't so much the "how" of editing/retouching, but the "what". Learning to have a vision far outweighs ones editing techinque, as Photoshop usually offers 3 or more ways of accomplishing the same tasks.

What you say is true.. on the how verses what...it’s kind of like getting that perfect shot..... at least that is the way I see it....

What you say is true.. on the how verses what...it’s kind of like getting that perfect shot..... at least that is the way I see it....
There is nothing that replaces experience. And trust me, some of my early pieces were ripped to shreds in critiques in front of other professional photographers. When I finally got really serious about photography I worked for one of the finest portrait photographers in the area FOR FREE (part time) on the condition that he would teach me. So while YouTube has volumes to offer, nothing beats face to face learning.

Dismounting soap box.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder