DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The slow SD card drama

Dave edmunds

Reactions
Hi all
I just spent the weekend shooting some footage on my Air2s on the west coast . I was using the smart controller and was reviewing footage each day on that and stupidly not checking the actual 4K material on the card , when I finally popped the card out and looked at it the video was unusable it’s skipping and jumping. I was using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB microSDXC Memory Card . Anyway frustrated I set off back home . On the way I decided to stop and check my drone with another card . Where I stopped my controller gave me a altitude limit warning and when I looked more closely there was also a slow sd card earring there as well , I put a different card in and formatted it in the drone , it was a sandisk ultra 128gb , the warning was still there , I put another card in and formatted the warning disappeared . I then put the original Extreme pro card back in and no warning . I have used all these cards on my M2P with no issue at , anyone have a similar issue ? What should I do to prevent a reoccurrence ?

Reactions: Thor0565
I use a SanDisk 256GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I (U3/V30) and a SAMSUNG EVO Select 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I (U3) and neither has given me any trouble with 4k video. The Samsung has a newer version that includes the V30 rating. I would check to see what the speed ratings of your cards are, it seems U3/V30 is the standard.

Check your speed ratings (as suggested in previous post) and report back. I suspect you will find some deficiencies there.
The only other suggestion: I tend to limit SD card sizes to <64GB: helps with Windows/device compatibility.

The only other suggestion: I tend to limit SD card sizes to <64GB: helps with Windows/device compatibility.
What compatibility issues are you trying to avoid? I have none other than you have to use a 3rd party app to format large drives FAT32...

What compatibility issues are you trying to avoid? I have none other than you have to use a 3rd party app to format large drives FAT32...
Some hardware platform (and even some older Windows versions) are not able to address locations beyond the 64GB barrier. This is one of those "you can fool some of the people some of the time" things...but if you don't really need that much flash storage (and I certainly don't on a drone), it's not worth the risk.

Some hardware platform (and even some older Windows versions) are not able to address locations beyond the 64GB barrier. This is one of those "you can fool some of the people some of the time" things...but if you don't really need that much flash storage (and I certainly don't on a drone), it's not worth the risk.
OMG... that hasn't been a problem for any hardware or OS made in the last 10-15 years! And certainly does not apply to exFat or NTFS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1