DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The socket to the left of the SD card slot

DafyddGrif

Reactions
As you will note, I have just joined and cannot see anything in the User Manual or online which explains what the small socket is to the left of the SD card slot underneath the cover at the back of the Mavic Air - will someone please enlighten me?

As above. You can use it for transferring files directly from the Mavic. It’s quicker to take out the SD card, but obviously- if you’ve used the onboard memory, this is the only way to get it off in full resolution (you can still get low res versions from Go4).

Reactions: Thomas B
Thank you, and you are quite correct that it is page 8; however, the image is not all that obvious - and, I have read the manual - I'm somewhat used to reading them since I am a particle physicist at CERN in Switzerland, I must read around 6 a week...

As above. You can use it for transferring files directly from the Mavic. It’s quicker to take out the SD card, but obviously- if you’ve used the onboard memory, this is the only way to get it off in full resolution (you can still get low res versions from Go4).
Thanks - very useful - the SDXC card slot is a bit of a challenge...

Thanks - very useful - the SDXC card slot is a bit of a challenge...

Yep. I carry a small pocket knife that has a pair of tweezers built in, and they were handy for getting it out - but my wife lost them.

Reactions: Stormin
Yep. I carry a small pocket knife that has a pair of tweezers built in, and they were handy for getting it out - but my wife lost them.
Attach a piece of folded sellotape over the SD card, to make a tail that hangs out of the rear cover, do not cover the contacts on the card for obvious reasons, you may need to replace this at ad-hoc times, I have used this method for a year it works well and saves a lot of messing with tweesers, the re usable tape is the best, trim it to the width of the card

I have found a very creative use for that little port hidden behind door #1:

1582642190851.jpeg

I created a mount point for top and bottom anti-collision strobes on my Mavic Air. After experimenting with different types of strobe holders/enclosures and just plain old double-sided tape, nothing suited my fancy. And then, after downloading some video off of the micro SD card, it hit me. After (3) prototype variations, this one proved the most stable (and removable). Aesthetically, it’s still pretty raw, but I’m working on some form-blending ideas for function and looks.

Welcome to the forum DafyddGrif. This is a great place to find answers and ideas.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
I never remove the SD card. I always plug in my USB-C cable and transfer files. The SD card is fragile and made of plastic. Every time you take it in or out you risk damaging it, dropping it, breaking it. Plus, I keep my contract information in the Drone's folder structure so there is an additional way for a good Samaritan to return my drone to me should it become lost. Just copy / move the files with the USB and delete what's in the drone afterward. No need to format all the time.

Reactions: Richiow
I've never heard of an SD card breaking. Getting lost maybe, or wearing out. It can wear out even when left mounted. If one didn't have to power on the AC to gain access to card contents when mounted, I could see leaving it in there, but having to prep the quad almost as if to fly it just to get to the card doesn't suit me.

I never remove the SD card. I always plug in my USB-C cable and transfer files. The SD card is fragile and made of plastic. Every time you take it in or out you risk damaging it, dropping it, breaking it. Plus, I keep my contract information in the Drone's folder structure so there is an additional way for a good Samaritan to return my drone to me should it become lost. Just copy / move the files with the USB and delete what's in the drone afterward. No need to format all the time.

I use multiple SD cards in all of my drones, and cameras and never had a single one get damaged. They’re very sturdy.

SD cards are sturdier than they look, even the micro ones. The main concern I have is with you deleting rather than formatting. Conventional wisdom has it that formatting is the better, safer option. You're just asking for problems.

SD cards are sturdier than they look, even the micro ones. The main concern I have is with you deleting rather than formatting. Conventional wisdom has it that formatting is the better, safer option. You're just asking for problems.
I have never seen evidence that formatting is better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair