DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thermal paste

Haloweenhamster

Reactions
Hi I was wondering what people use when they reassemble?
I have only used bog standard white stuff in a green and white tube brand begins with m I think

what's recommended?

I'm guessing it needs to be non electrically conductive and non capacitive which rules out silver or gold stuff

I haven't a clue but the man @Thunderdrones if he see's this can tell you I'm sure .

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Think I must of said or done something wrong to him, he hasn't responded to my last 4 messages since 24/08/17, I've ended up sourcing parts from elsewhere

If the parts above are what youre reassembling, you can use that paste but try not to use too much. The bottom cover is a tight fit to begin with, and only a thin layer will allow it to seal to the middle frame properly and be flush with the sides of the middle frame.

Reactions: hherbson
Ok cheers
I'm used to replacing heatsink compound whenever disturbing it on PC's and amplifiers but that was years ago
at least I don't need to worry about what can't be used

Thank you

Even if the thermal paste isnt totally conductive of the heat dissipated from the cores, the internal fan does a great job of keeping the cores cool, and blowing the hot air out through the duct in the bottom of the heat sink.

Radio shack carries conductive past for heat sinks! And some computer stores as well!

hi thank you for the reply

Unfortunately there are lots of different types and some I have been told not to use

I'm looking for which type is OEM therefore won't cause issues and potentially create a missile

hi thank you for the reply

Unfortunately there are lots of different types and some I have been told not to use

I'm looking for which type is OEM therefore won't cause issues and potentially create a missile
Did you find a good paste? I've replaced computer heatsyncs, but the paste there is very thin. The factory stuff on this was pretty thick and clay-like, and stands over a millimeter thick which is crazy thick in the world of computer processors.

I am certainly not a drone expert, but I'm not sure I would agree with letting the internal fan do all the work. The thermal paste is there for a reason. It may very well be that the internal fan does a good job, but like the thermal paste, the heat sink is there for a reason as well. I would think if you wanted to replace the paste, something like Gelid GC-Extreme would serve you well. I build high end Threadripper Gaming PCs and it's my go-to thermal paste for CPUs and GPUs. Excellent heat transfer and you don't have to worry about it conducting electricity in sensitive areas. It is pricey though.

I am certainly not a drone expert, but I'm not sure I would agree with letting the internal fan do all the work. The thermal paste is there for a reason. It may very well be that the internal fan does a good job, but like the thermal paste, the heat sink is there for a reason as well. I would think if you wanted to replace the paste, something like Gelid GC-Extreme would serve you well. I build high end Threadripper Gaming PCs and it's my go-to thermal paste for CPUs and GPUs. Excellent heat transfer and you don't have to worry about it conducting electricity in sensitive areas. It is pricey though.
Thanks for the advice
I ended up getting some Arctic MX-4. Hopefully that will do it.

Can you describe the viscosity of the GC-Extreme compared to Mavic thermal paste?

GC-Extreme is pretty thick and pasty ... trying to think of something to compare it to ... it's thicker than toothpaste. More like "Never-Seize" if you know what that stuff looks like. It doesn't run all over the place. It stays where you put it. I've never had a Mavic apart so I don't really know what their paste is like.

Reactions: chazzm
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143