DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

They say life is tough - tougher if you're STUPID

Bogey

Reactions
And boy is my life TOUGH!!!

I don't mean to tie up this forum with all my problems (just posted a question about satellites a bit ago) so I apologize for adding to the pile with another issue...

So, I end up getting an additional satellite to show up and UAV says "good to fly", so I ran out in the driveway and set everything up, but when I went through my start up procedure, the camera never showed on my ipad? I had went through the exact same sequence as always.

I then saw that it said "not connected" or something like that in the upper left corner of my screen. So I started going through my menu and saw that it said "gimble not connected" or something like that, so I flipped the mav over and saw what looked like a 1/8" wide black ribbon or something that had a loop in it - I've never "noticed" this before.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT tech savy at all, and I'm probably not going to explain this problem well enough, or even understand the answer, but I'm beyond PI$$ED at myself right now and want to try and fix this (or send off to anyone but DJI as I understand it?)

I had recently bought a 2 for 1 gimble cover/camera stabilizer and installed it about 2-3 weeks ago, and since I've been sick, have not flown since then. It was hard to put on = which makes me think I might have forced something that caused that black ribbon to bow out, move, come UN done? I don't know, maybe it's supposed to look like that, but I've never noticed it before??

I took some pics that I can "try" and add if that helps someone spot the problem?

Anyone have an idea?

Thank you.

I think that loop is normal, mine has it too. pictures would be nice.
Gimble clamp removed before you powered up?

Reactions: Bogey
Sounds like the ribbon cable became disconnected. There are You Tubes on this repair.

Jake

And boy is my life TOUGH!!!

I don't mean to tie up this forum with all my problems (just posted a question about satellites a bit ago) so I apologize for adding to the pile with another issue...

So, I end up getting an additional satellite to show up and UAV says "good to fly", so I ran out in the driveway and set everything up, but when I went through my start up procedure, the camera never showed on my ipad? I had went through the exact same sequence as always.

I then saw that it said "not connected" or something like that in the upper left corner of my screen. So I started going through my menu and saw that it said "gimble not connected" or something like that, so I flipped the mav over and saw what looked like a 1/8" wide black ribbon or something that had a loop in it - I've never "noticed" this before.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT tech savy at all, and I'm probably not going to explain this problem well enough, or even understand the answer, but I'm beyond PI$$ED at myself right now and want to try and fix this (or send off to anyone but DJI as I understand it?)

I had recently bought a 2 for 1 gimble cover/camera stabilizer and installed it about 2-3 weeks ago, and since I've been sick, have not flown since then. It was hard to put on = which makes me think I might have forced something that caused that black ribbon to bow out, move, come UN done? I don't know, maybe it's supposed to look like that, but I've never noticed it before??

I took some pics that I can "try" and add if that helps someone spot the problem?

Anyone have an idea?

Thank you.
Okay I see your post and I can sympathize with you and I am sure there is something in that mess that we can take out of the equation to get you up and running the first thing I would suggest right off the bat is the fact that you say the controller is saying okay to fly so it is the connection from the controller to the iPad so I am curious what wire are you using? You can only have one of the ports in use connecting to the iPad so if you have the one on the left side of the controller plugged in and that's not going to the iPad unplug it. If this doesn't work post back please

Okay I see your post and I can sympathize with you and I am sure there is something in that mess that we can take out of the equation to get you up and running the first thing I would suggest right off the bat is the fact that you say the controller is saying okay to fly so it is the connection from the controller to the iPad so I am curious what wire are you using? You can only have one of the ports in use connecting to the iPad so if you have the one on the left side of the controller plugged in and that's not going to the iPad unplug it. If this doesn't work post back please
Yes please don't play with that Loop you will rip apart your Ribbon cable and then you will have camera and gimbal errors

your going to see the gimbles ribbon make a small loop
but PLEASE before you fly study the manual,watch some mavic youtube vids and learn your mavic first to avoid wasting alot of money
the mavic is complicated and your'e not ready to fly yet-no offence

Reactions: Oconnb910
your going to see the gimbles ribbon make a small loop
but PLEASE before you fly study the manual,watch some mavic youtube vids and learn your mavic first to avoid wasting alot of money
the mavic is complicated and your'e not ready to fly yet-no offence

I totally agree with this post because you are not ready and if you try at this level just based on the questions that you’re asking you will probably lose your drone. Seriously just follow the guides the manual and YouTube videos and I pretty much guarantee you will have a better understanding of what this little creature will do for you!

Do you see the gimbal initialize when you start the mavic? Can you post a photo of the gimbal?

In beginner mode, I think a first time child pilot 5 years old could fly a Mavic without too much trouble. It is by far the easiest RC vehicle I own to fly or drive. If it gets out of control, just let go of the controls and it will hover in place.
So those of you that are still too afraid to try it (you know who you are) give it a shot, you have no idea what you are missing until you do. Then you will be qualified to give flying advice to others.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
As always, thanks very much for the replies!!! I have 23 flights so far, and never a hitch, so this really threw me for a loop, but IT WORKS NOW!!!

I went on youtube looking for gimble pics to see if the loop was normal. The video I was watching about "disconnected" went down a list of reasons and one of them was that the lightening cable, while it technically can be inserted one way, flip over and insert the other way as well, but sometimes it won't work one way (OK, I know that was confusing!!)

SO, I pulled it out and re-inserted after flipping the end of the cable over and it worked perfect. I was aware that only one cable can be inserted so I had removed that side cable when I first got the drone (after reading about it) and have always used the port at the bottom of the controller.

I know I'm a newb and I have read an absolute ton and watch a ton of videos, but I still do very basic flights, close, LOS, in the country where I live is very wide open, and I recognize I have a ton to learn, but when that camera didn't connect like it has every other time, I just assumed I screwed it up putting the gimble cover/stabilizer on.

I had paid attention to see if the camera did it's little start up dance, and it did, just no pic, which I now have!!

I panicked thinking I broke this thing - I should have done more research before clogging up the forum - sorry!!

It had been 2+ weeks and I was just hoping to get out there; LOL, now it's dark and they're calling for rain or snow for the next week.

As always, thanks!!!

Bogey

Post multiple pictures here with different angles. Without seeing the orientation of the gimbal/ camera ribbon cable then all of these posts are purely conjecture. There may be something totally different then a ripped or disconnected ribbon cable.

Posted this just as you replied. Glad its providing a live video feed now.

Actually the Lightning cable that is plugged into the IOS device WILL work in either orientation. What wont work is :
A: A lightning cable that is not inserted fully/ completely
B: A lighting cable that has a stress point right at the point where the cable portion connects to the end lightning connector. So when you turn this worn cable certain electrical connections will be made that might not be made when oriented in a 180 degree fashion. The known weakness in the cables is right where they are stressed most.

Glad to hear you got it, but that doesnt explain the "gimbal disconnected" error you saw.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom