DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Things not to do whilst flying your drone...

dannybgoode

Reactions
A confessional thread as I’m sure we’ve all done something stupid whilst flying.

Me? The other day I flew out from the coast about 800m to photograph a shipwreck. Took the drone down to about 9m for one last shot and then hit RTH on the display.

Only I didn’t - I hit auto land instead! Luckily I noticed pretty quickly and cancelled it but was a nervous moment. Didn’t have a lot of altitude to play with.

From now on I will only use the RTH button on the actual remote...

Last edited:
Shortly after getting my P3P I was cruising along at near max speed a few feet above the snow and ice. Ahead was a gentle rise in the surface of the ground so I raised the drone up. Well I thought I did. I was used to aircraft sims where you pull back on the stick to go up. Yep. That's what I did and the drone dropped, hit the ground, went into a nice tumble and ejected the battery coming to rest in slush. Someone was watching out for me because after taking it home and drying it out I found no damage to the drone or the battery. Unfortunately I did not get that final scene due to the battery saying "I'm out of here."

Funny time for this question as last night we were getting some long awaited thunder storms. There was nothing close but I could see a lot of lightning over the mountains and decided to see if I could get some shots of the lightning . It dark so I'm sitting on my deck and put the drone up about 15 feet I want to keep it close in case it starts to rain. Got a few shot and then a wicked gust of wind hit my drone and took it over the house and out of sight. I ran thru the house out the back door to see my drone hovering 2 feet from the tree I can't tell which way its facing in the dark so turned it till I could see the rear light then brought it back to me in reverse. Wind is really bad but I got it to land on the back deck Whew Won't do that again.
Oh and it never did rain here Darn it

Okay, I'll play. I've done the land here button versus return home thing, myself, but if we're telling stories, I crashed my very first Mavic years ago when they first came out because I took off while the remote was giving me stick errors. I had smashed the sticks to the side in my backpack sufficiently that they wouldn't calibrate in the software, but I really wanted to get a shot of the waterfall I'd hiked to. So, despite the stick errors, I decided to launch and take a few pictures. I hit the take off button and the Mavic lifted off and hovered at about 6 feet up. It was then that I discovered I had absolutely no stick control at all. No altitude, no yaw, no nothing.

"Oh well," I thought, being a noob. "I'll just hit return to home and it'll auto land."

This was in the days before Mavics would check distance from the home point before climbing to return to home altitude. When I hit the button, mine immediately climbed to the altitude I had set. And, being the inexperienced "genius" I was, I'd launched in a tight space in a stand of pine trees. That little quadcopter cut it's way through the nearest pine boughs all the way up to 100 feet and then stopped right above a tree. Downward vision sensors wouldn't let it descend and land. And I still had no stick control at all.

In my newbieness, I didn't trust the Mavic enough to shut off the controller and then turn it back on again. That may have taken care of the issue. I just stood there in shock not knowing what to do until the battery ran out. At which point, that poor, first Mavic, fell back down through the pine tree bouncing from branch to branch as it went. It was a total loss. Gimbal completely ripped loose from the body, etc.

The story ends happily, because I had DJI Care Refresh and I've learned a lot in the years since. But, yeah, don't decide to fly anyway if the system starts giving you serious errors. You'll be much happier and your Mavic will last a lot longer.

Last edited:
I'm in. I was so excited to fly my pretty much brand new M2P that I wasn't thinking about what I was doing in a logical fashion. The weather was perfect, sunny about 70 degrees with minimal wind. I set the bird down and fired up the transmitter with my iPhone attached, then started the drone. I waited till I had a good GPS lock and was notified that home position had been set. All good so far, or so I thought. I selected take off on my iPhone and watched the bird spin up, take off, and hover at about 5 or 6 feet. It was at this point I looked down at the remote and to my horror realized I had not attached the joysticks! Needless to say I auto landed, and looked around to see if any one noticed, luckily the only company I had around was Layla my cat.

I'm sure we all have similar stories of the mistakes we made when we began to fly our Mavs.

No matter how anxious I am to get the bird up, I always review my flight plan and the flight conditions with UAV Forecast to check wind speed. And a quick check on weather radar if there are active cells in the area.

And if I fly over water (less than 100 ft deep) I always use my GetterBack on the right rear arm.

A pre-flight check should never be skipped. The consequences are a lost or crashed drone. So thanks to DJI for the Refresh program.

I was used to aircraft sims where you pull back on the stick to go up.

I have to use custom stick configs. I simply can’t use the default options. I’ve spent way too much time pulling back to go up and pushing forward to go down to unlearn it.

Shortly after getting my P3P I was cruising along at near max speed a few feet above the snow and ice. Ahead was a gentle rise in the surface of the ground so I raised the drone up. Well I thought I did. I was used to aircraft sims where you pull back on the stick to go up. Yep. That's what I did and the drone dropped, hit the ground, went into a nice tumble and ejected the battery coming to rest in slush. Someone was watching out for me because after taking it home and drying it out I found no damage to the drone or the battery. Unfortunately I did not get that final scene due to the battery saying "I'm out of here."
By that, do you mean you lost the entire recording?
There's two ways to recover a recording that did not finalize due to abrupt power loss.
One: power the quad back up with the SD card still installed. Quad will see the incomplete recording and close it.
Barring that, there's a manual process to rebuild the file with the MP4/MOV wrapper.

Reactions: lilewis
By that, do you mean you lost the entire recording?
There's two ways to recover a recording that did not finalize due to abrupt power loss.
One: power the quad back up with the SD card still installed. Quad will see the incomplete recording and close it.
Barring that, there's a manual process to rebuild the file with the MP4/MOV wrapper.
It recorded up to about 2 seconds before the crash. I think the battery decided to abandon ship early on. I learned about the recovery trick later.

You never believe this! ...Had my first real DJi drone, a Phantom 4. I had passed weeks of studying manuals and watching YT video's,..
I had found a good place to make my first flight, on the beach on my home made platform, with low tide, not much people around and plenty of space.
On the take off, the drone suddenly turned over and digged itself halfway in the beach sand!! I was very disappointed thinking i had bought a defective device!
One propeller was missing and i looked for it in the sand around, ...i found it back in my backpack, i didn't not ever mounted it in my excitement of the first flight.
Don't tell this to anyone, but with my new M2 this won't happen again, sure..?

While chasing my nephews in sport mode through a very large, open field, my MA collided nicely with my younger nephews head.
They both went down!
You can't just leave it like that. We have to know. Did your nephew damage the drone? :cool:

I pulled a Stupid today, I flew out 500feet 340 high.So I decided to go full speed back to my take off location . But not pushing the right stick forward I was pushing the left stick forward and had line of sight saying to myself wow the head wind is very strong and the drone is not moving forward then I look at the instrument readings and saw the 500 feet distance. So I pushed the left stick forward again (thinking it was moving forward)and watching the drone for 15 seconds or so I noticed 575 and I said why am I going further. THEN I REALIZED I was going up instead of forward... that was a pure and plain stupid move/action... Well the moral of this is I decided to fly so I could get some relief of thinking of my dad who is barely hanging on as of this morning. The Doctors are giving a lot of morphine to him and when a doctor usually does this To a really sick elderly person I learned this by past elderly family members this meant one thing....

Arrghh yes scary for us who also fly fixed wing.

Reactions: bbooty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27