DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think carefully before purchasing if you’re in the EU and UK

Lastrexking

Reactions
DJI have confirmed that the Air 2 won’t comply with the new rules required from 2022. So, if you’re wanting to use the drone commercially which anyone can do after July for EU and September UK this year) and also fly under the A2cofC (you’ll only get two years out of it. Similarly, even for none commercial work the distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings will be significantly impacted.

See this thread for more info (note, changes in the UK are now September due to Covid)Clarification of new rules in July for UK

Personally, I’d wait for the ADSB2 version to be released, or for the next Pro.

Last edited:
this new drone would be ok for those who are looking to move up from a MM, as at around a grand for the combo, then its flight time and features make sense,
but the only way that i might consider it would be if my MPP was damaged ,as my care package has now expired ,i am hoping that my trusty MPP will still be flying, by the time the new rules come into force ,and God willing i am still able to get out and fly

this new drone would be ok for those who are looking to move up from a MM, as at around a grand for the combo, then its flight time and features make sense,
but the only way that i might consider it would be if my MPP was damaged ,as my care package has now expired ,i am hoping that my trusty MPP will still be flying, by the time the new rules come into force ,and God willing i am still able to get out and fly
It would. I’d be tempted to replace my old Pro. But, I’d rather not spend a grand on something I can’t use in two years.

DJI have confirmed that the Air 2 won’t comply with the new rules required from 2022. So, if you’re wanting to use the drone commercially (which anyone can do after July for EU and September UK this year) you’ll only get two years out of it. Similarly, even for none commercial work the distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings will be significantly impacted.

See this thread for more info (note, changes in the UK are now September due to Covid)Clarification of new rules in July for UK

Hi when 20 22 comes around will the drone stope working just when you say if anyone bus it they will get two years out of it

Hi when 20 22 comes around will the drone stope working just when you say if anyone bus it they will get two years out of it
No, the drone will work. But, you’ll be even more restricted in how and where you can fly it. Read the info in the linked thread above.

DJI have confirmed that the Air 2 won’t comply with the new rules required from 2022. So, if you’re wanting to use the drone commercially (which anyone can do after July for EU and September UK this year) you’ll only get two years out of it. Similarly, even for none commercial work the distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings will be significantly impacted.

Thanks for the update.

You say confirmed, have we had confirmation one way or the other? I've not seen anything on their website to say that it is compliant, but at the same time I've not seen anything to support the fact its not.

I think the vendors will be best placed to confirm or deny. The live support staff in my experience don't know much, and will just say anything to get you off the line.

I was hoping it was C1 or C2..... Never mind!

Reactions: Tanushiheadbash
Thanks for the update.

You say confirmed, have we had confirmation one way or the other? I've not seen anything on their website to say that it is compliant, but at the same time I've not seen anything to support the fact its not.

I think the vendors will be best placed to confirm or deny. The live support staff in my experience don't know much, and will just say anything to get you off the line.

I was hoping it was C1 or C2..... Never mind!
DJI confirm on this thread

Reactions: Skyfli
I have tried reading into this new law that is coming in 2022 and its making no sense to me at all.
Could someone explain in simple terms what this all means.
I was just going to purchase the Mavic Air 2 and saw this> I am from UK.
thank you

Reactions: Skyfli
I have tried reading into this new law that is coming in 2022 and its making no sense to me at all.
Could someone explain in simple terms what this all means.
I was just going to purchase the Mavic Air 2 and saw this> I am from UK.
thank you

watch this video.

C2 Class Aircraft with an A2 CofC
You’ll be able to fly down to 30m of uninvolved people, or down to 5m if the aircraft has been switched to a low-speed mode with a C2 class aircraft.
C2 class aircraft need to have less than a 4 kg MTOM, be ‘safely made’ as determined by EU manufacturer standards, it needs noise limitations, a remote ID and a form of geo awareness.
It also needs a low-speed mode which limits the maximum speed of the aircraft to 3 m/s (approx 6.7 mph).

‘Legacy’ Aircraft with an A2 CofC
If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and then you will be able to fly close to uninvolved people as long as you don’t overfly them. If your aircraft is between 500g and 2kg MTOM (like the DJI Mavic 2) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and you will have to maintain a 50m separation distance from uninvolved people. You will be able to fly these ‘legacy’ aircraft under these permissions with an A2 CofC between 1st July 2020 and 30th June 2022. After this point, you will only be able to fly these aircraft in the A3 ‘far from people’ category which means you’ve got to stay 150m away from residential, industrial, business and recreational areas and a minimum of 50m from uninvolved people.

Sorry for asking for extra clarity. I'm from the UK and looking to purchase the Mavic Air 2 purely for leisure. I'm obviously happy to register the drone for £9 a year and avoid people and buildings etc. What would the implications of the drone not complying from 2022 mean for a 'free-time' flyer like myself? Is this just stricter rules or would I not be allowed to fly at all? Apologies, I'm new to this so not clear on the jargon.

watch this video.

C2 Class Aircraft with an A2 CofC
You’ll be able to fly down to 30m of uninvolved people, or down to 5m if the aircraft has been switched to a low-speed mode with a C2 class aircraft.
C2 class aircraft need to have less than a 4 kg MTOM, be ‘safely made’ as determined by EU manufacturer standards, it needs noise limitations, a remote ID and a form of geo awareness.
It also needs a low-speed mode which limits the maximum speed of the aircraft to 3 m/s (approx 6.7 mph).

‘Legacy’ Aircraft with an A2 CofC
If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and then you will be able to fly close to uninvolved people as long as you don’t overfly them. If your aircraft is between 500g and 2kg MTOM (like the DJI Mavic 2) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and you will have to maintain a 50m separation distance from uninvolved people. You will be able to fly these ‘legacy’ aircraft under these permissions with an A2 CofC between 1st July 2020 and 30th June 2022. After this point, you will only be able to fly these aircraft in the A3 ‘far from people’ category which means you’ve got to stay 150m away from residential, industrial, business and recreational areas and a minimum of 50m from uninvolved people.

So in simple terms, if you are looking to get Mavic Mini or Mavic Air 2 as a new flyer or as your first drone...
MAVIC MINI: From now to July, NO NEED to register or get any license, but after July, mandatory to REGISTER YOUR DRONE and go fly over open seas and deserts. Otherwise, while registered, you can get A2CofC if you want to fly Mavic Mini close to uninvolved people but not over them (maybe safely in and around your neighborhood), but in 2 years, go fly over the open seas and deserts, or CHANGE YOUR AIRCRAFT

MAVIC AIR 2: From now to July, register your drone AND get a license, but after July, if you do not have the license yet, get A2CofC and fly minimum 50m away from uninvolved people (in deserted areas of your neighbourhood or maybe not in your neighbourhood at all if it's people walk about all the time), in 2 years time, go fly over the open seas and deserts, or CHANGE YOUR AIRCRAFT.

I may be wrong, but I think this summarizes it from the way I've been able to decipher the info and confusion around these.

DJI should have just waited to get everything clear, and then release something good for the people in 6 months time when all the rules are clear and understandable.

But DJI is also well known to compete against itself ..

Last edited:
WTF is uninvolved people .. they just making up $hit. They couldn't make it more complicated if they tried.
I just want fly my drone around the forest and do some video.
Why does everything have to be so god dam complicated all the time.
Let me guess this will cost me more money.

Sorry for asking for extra clarity. I'm from the UK and looking to purchase the Mavic Air 2 purely for leisure. I'm obviously happy to register the drone for £9 a year and avoid people and buildings etc. What would the implications of the drone not complying from 2022 mean for a 'free-time' flyer like myself? Is this just stricter rules or would I not be allowed to fly at all? Apologies, I'm new to this so not clear on the jargon.

I think then you would have to fly away from the city, so nothing like parks or in and around your neighborhood.
Watch this site. I think they will update keep it updated as time goes on. Check training by drone. They have not put anything yet for beyond 2022, and I think that's where most people's confusion comes in.

Buy one that fits your budget and needs now accounting for registrations insurance etc, by 2022 you would have probably gotten much better and needed to upgrade to a new one though, only that you would probably have to sell your 'old' Mavic Air 2 for cheap

WTF is uninvolved people .. they just making up $hit. They couldn't make it more complicated if they tried.
I just want fly my drone around the forest and do some video.
Why does everything have to be so god dam complicated all the time.
Let me guess this will cost me more money.
People you have no control over. So, the public. Fairly straightforward really.

So in simple terms, if you are looking to get Mavic Mini or Mavic Air 2 as a new flyer or as your first drone...
MAVIC MINI: From now to July, NO NEED to register or get any license, but after July you must get A2CofC and fly Mavic Mini close to uninvolved people but not over them (maybe safely in and around your neighborhood), and in 2 years, go fly over the open seas and deserts, or CHANGE YOUR AIRCRAFT

MAVIC AIR 2: From now to July, register your drone AND get a license, but after July, if you do not have the license yet, get A2CofC and fly 50m away from uninvolved people (in deserted areas of your neighbourhood), in 2 years time, go fly over the open seas and deserts, or CHANGE YOUR AIRCRAFT.

I may be wrong, but I think this summarizes it from the way I've been able to decipher the info and confusion around these.

DJI should have just waited to get everything clear, and then release something good for the people in 6 months time when all the rules are clear and understandable.

But DJI is also well known to compete against itself ..

No. That’s wrong mate. A2cofC is purely for people that want to take a test which will enable them to fly closer to people and buildings. It’s optional. From July this year, everyone that has a drone with a camera simply needs to register with the CAA (regardless of weight) and take the DMARES test.

So, basically leisure fliers won’t be affected and can stick to the drone code.

People that will want to fly closure to buildings and none involved people than the drone code permits can take the A2cofC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest