DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about an osmo pocket or gopro gimbal...???

monchan

Reactions
As the title says I want to get a Osmo pocket or a gimbal for my GP hero 6.
A gimbal would be cheaper, but what would be the better system?

I would like to hear any input from users. experience, problems, opinions and suggestions.
I am no movie maker, and mainly want video that is not jerky rubbish that I get from my mirrorless pen-f, while camping or traveling with the family.
Cheers

Pocket. Just sold my karma grip and gopro on craigslist and couldn't be happier!

A gimbal would be cheaper, but what would be the better system?

Monchan: Without a doubt I would get the Pocket. I have a Hero6 and never use it and I've seen the Pocket/Hero7 comparisons. I still think the Pocket is a better choice even over the newer GoPro, too.

Reactions: fozzzy
I would like the pocket, and if I go that way , what are the must have accessories you recommend. ND filters are a must anything else? This might push me over
budget though. cheers.

monchan: For me, the other must haves are the WiFi adapter and some form of "cage" that can be attached to a tripod. I do have the mic adapter and it does help with an aux mic but, it isn't essential. After the firmware updates, the audio recording quality of the OP is more than good enough. Again, I went with the PP "cage." Using these with timelapses works extremely well and honestly, if you're careful walking and panning, the OP is a fine recording device all by itself without the phone, tripod, or external mic. I just watched a post by Russ at 51 Drones yesterday where he took back what he originally said about the OP and admitted that he had been wrong.

51 Drones Vid on the OP

Reactions: Dronage and monchan
I saw that yesterday too, got me leaning toward the OP. But I thought I`d ask the question here first.
Cheers.

Great question. I've been debating the OP or a gimbal for my iPhone. I love the small form factor of the OP but not the price tag.

Great question. I've been debating the OP or a gimbal for my iPhone. I love the small form factor of the OP but not the price tag.

The pocket. Every time.
The main caveat is that a phone gimbal can be used when or if you upgrade your phone and possibly - in the future get a ‘better’ camera than what is on the OP.

For me it’s keep it simple. Get the OP and enjoy it. Don’t build it up with a ton of stuff. I use it mainly without the phone connected and it’s very useable. I’m shooting video in places I’d not usually bother.

Personally the form factor is the main selling point. ND filters are good if you want to shoot with that film like shutter blur otherwise (and people won’t admit it) auto is actually ok for casual shoots.

It’s a great camera for casual video. It’s not a cinematography marvel. Accept it for what it is and enjoy it.

Reactions: fozzzy and spud1969
The pocket. Every time.
The main caveat is that a phone gimbal can be used when or if you upgrade your phone and possibly - in the future get a ‘better’ camera than what is on the OP.

For me it’s keep it simple. Get the OP and enjoy it. Don’t build it up with a ton of stuff. I use it mainly without the phone connected and it’s very useable. I’m shooting video in places I’d not usually bother.

Personally the form factor is the main selling point. ND filters are good if you want to shoot with that film like shutter blur otherwise (and people won’t admit it) auto is actually ok for casual shoots.

It’s a great camera for casual video. It’s not a cinematography marvel. Accept it for what it is and enjoy it.
100% Agreed. That's the way I'm leaning - I would be a casual user; I don't produce crazy videos or anything, just above average decent/fun stuff for my YT channel shared w/ family-friends. I love photography and video and I have a feeling the OP would make me shoot more in situations I normally wouldn't. So much more discreet than a phone/gimbal combo.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
100% Agreed. That's the way I'm leaning - I would be a casual user; I don't produce crazy videos or anything, just above average decent/fun stuff for my YT channel shared w/ family-friends. I love photography and video and I have a feeling the OP would make me shoot more in situations I normally wouldn't. So much more discreet than a phone/gimbal combo.

Go for it. You won’t be disappointed. I’ve always found GoPro to be crap. Bad manual controls too. The app was always shocking.

Go for it. You won’t be disappointed. I’ve always found GoPro to be crap. Bad manual controls too. The app was always shocking.

I love my gopro. I do a lot of snorkeling with my kids, bodysurfing and spearfishing. So it gets a lot of use in the water.
Thanks for your replies and everyone else`s.

I took the plunge last night ordered the OP together with a polarpro tripod + holder kit.
Should arrive today thanks to amazon prime (trial) From tomorrow I have 8 days off to play around with it and try and
get my mavic air in the air. And the best thing is the wife is away for a week. The kids and I are totally off the leash.
For the next week there will be no "be home by dinner time" "be back for lunch" etc from the better (other) half.

FUN WEEK COMING UP.....I will cop it though when she gets back and finds out about the OP.

Got it last night. Was a bit pissed off that it didnt come with anyway to connect my micro usb android phone.
And that supposedly it does`nt support android phones that have micro usb, never even thought that would be a possibilty Luckily though I had an adapter that came with my Mavic Air Fly more kit. What gives there?
Its my second DJI purchase that left me thinking WHAT??

My Mavic Air fly more kit, you would think it would have all the options for all phones. No reverse cable, so had to spend extra for a cable That I think should be included. More of a mostly fly more kit.

Rant out of the way. OP is activated, Played with it a bit this morning, seems cool, might try a time lapse today.
My bloody kids are like "we are telling mummy" They are gonna ask for a computer game or something today, I can feel it.

If i could only have one small camera the rest of my life I would take a go pro hero 7 black. That being said the OP is still a great camera. It does some things the go pro won't and the form factor is really great. I like them both equally but the go pro edges out the OP in a couple ways that matter more for me.

I have two GoPro's, the latest being a 6, and were I to choose one portable video camera, it would definitely be the Pocket. I realize the dramatic increase in the 7's electronic stabilization is quite something but, it isn't a gimbal and I have no interest in underwater recording or stills.

Well I have the GP6 and the OP now. I went for a walk with my kids yesterday, just trying out the OP. Had a go with the
slo-mo function. The night before we watched rush hour with Jackie Chan, and the kids started some kind of crazy kung fu.
Captured in slow mo, it was so good and so funny. I might even post it up here. 1080p 4x slow, its a great function.

It really depends on how it's going to be used, I love the Pocket and use it more than I could have imagined and with the updates and third party accessories it just keeps getting better. It does get compared to the GOPRO by a lot of reviewers but they really are two totally different beasts, the Osmo Pocket is no action cam, so in extreme situations I still reach for my now rusty old hero5.

Get the Pocket, I have a Karma grip and Smooth Q gimbal and they’re both good in their own right but for portability and ease of use the Pocket is the way to go. I love mine it’s great

Hopefully this won’t get moved to another thread but for me there’s no contention between the two devices.

One is an action camera. A few bells and whistles but essentially a typical almost fisheye view (sure it has other crop modes) but limited manual controls etc.

The Osmo Pocket isn’t what I’d call an action camera.
With a learning curve you can really push this little unit to give some excellent quality work. It’s not a miracle solution for all things video but very good at what it’s meant to do. The full manual controls are a huge plus for me over the go pro. Plus ease of mounting filters- the only accessory I would say is mandatory if you’re semi serious about shooting some more crafted work.

On saying that. Full auto works well and will be more than good for most users.

Here’s a 90 second clip of something I shot the other week. I’d not have bothered taking any video had it not been for the portability of the OP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser