DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about going to Alaska with Mavic Pro

Tallflyer

Reactions
I'm considering purchasing a Mavic Pro to take with me on a trip to Ketchikan Alaska. I've heard it's really gorgeous up there and would love to take some great pictures up there. My main concern is that there is a supposed to be a lot of rainfall and wind there and am worried about damaging my drone. Does anyone have any experience or input on this dilemma?

Should I bring it or just leave it home?

I'm considering purchasing a Mavic Pro to take with me on a trip to Ketchikan Alaska. I've heard it's really gorgeous up there and would love to take some great pictures up there. My main concern is that there is a supposed to be a lot of rainfall and wind there and am worried about damaging my drone. Does anyone have any experience or input on this dilemma?

It often rains in Ketchikan. That said, it often isn't! Sometimes the cloud deck is low, other times it's bright sunny. Don't let the weather deter you, take your mavic. All of the town is a class E NFZ, but it doesn't take much to get away from that. A trip down the road either direction for a bit and you can fly.

Here's a picture from last summer....

http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/ketchikan.jpg

It often rains in Ketchikan. That said, it often isn't! Sometimes the cloud deck is low, other times it's bright sunny. Don't let the weather deter you, take your mavic. All of the town is a class E NFZ, but it doesn't take much to get away from that. A trip down the road either direction for a bit and you can fly.

Here's a picture from last summer....

http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/ketchikan.jpg

Take it! Take it! Take it! Yes, Ketchikan is beautiful. Yes, Ketchikan is rainy, but you'll see some clear weather too, and lots to video. Try ziplining through the forest. You won't be sorry.

I plan to take my Mavic on a trip up the Dalton Hwy (from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay). Hoping to see migrations of Caribou and Musk Oxen.

Do it! Than come back here and share the great media you create with us!

Haven't gone yet. Was hoping to do the trip during the over the Solstice, but it'll have to wait 'til next year. Definitely take your drone on the cruise. You'll find lots to video.

Most cruises go out of Vancouver BC and stop at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, then Seward. At Glacier Bay you'll be able to get VERY close the the glacier, if you'll risk flying over open water. You may see whales breaching while you're stopped there. But don't fly off the ship if it's moving. The ship may outrun your drone, especially if it's sailing upwind. Also, RTH may not work.

Haven't gone yet. Was hoping to do the trip during the over the Solstice, but it'll have to wait 'til next year. Definitely take your drone on the cruise. You'll find lots to video.

Most cruises go out of Vancouver BC and stop at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, then Seward. At Glacier Bay you'll be able to get VERY close the the glacier, if you'll risk flying over open water. You may see whales breaching while you're stopped there. But don't fly off the ship if it's moving. The ship may outrun your drone, especially if it's sailing upwind. Also, RTH may not work.

I don't mind flying over open water but I won't fly off ship even if it's not moving. I believe that's a big violation of the law and the cruise ship. Don't want to get it taken away.

I will be leaving next weekend on a road trip to Seattle and then on a cruise ship to the lower Alaskan panhandle stops you mentioned. I will be taking the Mavic for the drive cross country but will not be taking it with me on the ship. Just not enough time and the ship rules doesn't permit drones. From what I understand they confiscate them at check-in during embarkation and return it to you on your last morning as you leave the ship. Instead, I have scheduled a helicopter to tour the glaciers and mountains. If I lived up there for a month or two, I would have more opportunity but not for the few hours I'll be in those towns.

I saw where one guy was successful in sneaking his small drone on the cruise ship past the TSA security in the checked baggage. Then he carried it off the ship for the first POC and got some aerial shots. But getting back on board he had no way to hide it from the ship security check and they confiscated it until his last day.

Ketchikan is very nice but yes it does seem to rain constantly! If you can swing by Hoonah and Excursion Inlet! Even better!! Tell Bruce Gordon that Charlie says hello!

I just got off princess cruise. One of the lines the expressley forbids them on board on their website. I took it anyway and had no problem getting on ship or taking it off and back on at the ports. They probably couldnt tell what it was since its so compact.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie