DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This might be a dumb question but how long can the air 2s or mini 2 be used as a stand alone camera ? (no motors running)

cmj0929

Reactions
I ask the question because i have an event coming up and i figure i can use either one as a stand alone camera without the motors running for an extended period of time you know ? I'm aware that i cant capture sound i have mics for that but i figure it would still be great as a secondary camera regardless

Put a battery in, turn it on, set a timer, and watch some T.V.

You'll have your answer(s). ;)

They make hand gimbals for the drones just in case you need one.

Here's a couple of examples.

Reactions: Tufargon and FLDave
A heck of a long time I imagine !!
I've used my drones to capture a still while holding it after a flight, and yes there are some clever gimbal apparatus you can attach many model drones to to use this way.
The drone gimbal is pretty outstanding when used in these, even better (less bounce) than a DJI Osmo Pocket etc.

the only issue you may have is the heat produced inside the drone, because of lack of airflow through it, especially with the mini 2 ,that doesnt have an internal fan

Reactions: Reid937 and slup
I had a Mini-2 get stuck in a tree overnight once. The battery was probably around 50% when it got lodged in the tree. It recorded for about an hour and a half after that.

Very boring footage...

;-)

So...three hours with a full battery?

Heat is the issue with no airflow to cool it. Is it going to be stationary, where a fan could be utilized, or handheld?
If you do it, let us know the results!

i figure i can use either one as a stand alone camera

Have you considered just using an old smartphone, granted it may not have a 12-megapixel camera, but it did not cost $400 plus. Check your local thrift stores, CHKD, DAV, Goodwill, etc…

Worse case you have to buy a brand new one from QVC or HSN, but a new one would come with a full year of phone service from Tracfone…

From QVC… Tracfone Moto G Play 6.5" Smartphone with 1500 Talk/Text/Data -- With 32 GB Storage and a 13-Megapixel Main Camera

https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-Moto-G...500-TalkTextData.product.E237010.html?sc=SRCH

QVC and HSN offer Special Sales with much cheaper prices all the time… Get yourself a selfie stick, the head screws off and will screw onto a tripod to hold the smartphone, I doubt you would find it easy to mount a Drone onto a Tripod…

Have you considered just using an old smartphone, granted it may not have a 12-megapixel camera, but it did not cost $400 plus. Check your local thrift stores, CHKD, DAV, Goodwill, etc…

Worse case you have to buy a brand new one from QVC or HSN, but a new one would come with a full year of phone service from Tracfone…

From QVC… Tracfone Moto G Play 6.5" Smartphone with 1500 Talk/Text/Data -- With 32 GB Storage and a 13-Megapixel Main Camera

https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-Moto-G-Play-65"-Smartphone-with-1500-TalkTextData.product.E237010.html?sc=SRCH

QVC and HSN offer Special Sales with much cheaper prices all the time… Get yourself a selfie stick, the head screws off and will screw onto a tripod to hold the smartphone, I doubt you would find it easy to mount a Drone onto a Tripod…
He needs a phone/tablet capable of running the Fly app. That being said, i'm sure what he already has is better than that Moto G.

OP, I know it's not the same bird but I used to use my Autel XSP stationary all the time and I would get around 3 hours out of it. I do have a similar unit like MA2 317 mentioned above for my MA2 but I haven't tried it yet. Personally I would not worry about a heat issue as some mention because it (the MA2 S) has a built in fan. I'm not sure about the Mini 2.
This is what I bought but looks like the ones MA2 317 mentioned are nicer.
I won't use that cheesy tripod in the package unless i'll be walking around. I'll use a regular tripod.

https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-Moto-G-Play-65"-Smartphone-with-1500-TalkTextData.product.E237010.html?sc=SRCH

So i already have a primary camera which is a Sony A7siii but Im just curious because there are times when i need another camera angle and dont want to rent a whole camera you know ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ