DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This Teen was attacked by a woman 8 years ago for flying his drone near a beach. This is a federal crime. Will RID increase these confrontations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Testme

Reactions
Video of teen being physically attacked by a woman for flying his drone over a beach. He recorded the attack on his cell phone. If he had not, he may have been the one arrested. This happened 8 years ago. What will happen to drone pilots when RID is implemented. You all better buy pepper spray.

The woman was charged with 3rd degree assault.

Last edited:
Today, with how the FAA sees drone pilots, I believe any interference with a drone pilot's ability to safely control their aircraft by any persons should be prosecuted under federal law. The FAA is making pilots of UAVs more like pilots of manned aircraft. If someone interferes with the function of a manned aircraft, they go to jail. The same laws should apply to interfering with drone pilots. If the FAA wants to treat us as pilots, ie RID, then we should have the same legal protections as a manned aircraft pilot.

What will happen to drone pilots when RID is implemented. You all better buy pepper spray.

Once the general public learns about tracking apps, these confrontations will surge.

If the FAA wants to treat us as pilots, ie RID, then we should have the same legal protections as a manned aircraft pilot.

Won't happen. It's already illegal to interfere with a drone operator, yet police have done it to me a dozen times. The FAA can't even get law enforcement to learn the basics of drone law.

Today, with how the FAA sees drone pilots, I believe any interference with a drone pilot's ability to safely control their aircraft by any persons should be prosecuted under federal law. The FAA is making pilots of UAVs more like pilots of manned aircraft. If someone interferes with the function of a manned aircraft, they go to jail. The same laws should apply to interfering with drone pilots. If the FAA wants to treat us as pilots, ie RID, then we should have the same legal protections as a manned aircraft pilot.
I live in a rural area and have had my drone shot at while shooting property for a real estate agent by an adjacent property owner. Called local LEO and they didn’t even respond. We’re going to be sitting ducks.

I see the need for RID on the drone, but the only people that should have any access to pilot location should be ATC/law enforcement/first responders.

I'm not going to get ruffled. I've had one Karen experience and a ton of positive experiences (minus the inconvenience of maintaining concentration). I do a number of things that are controversial in today's world. Controversy can sway law but there is no way to predict that. When it shakes out, I'll adapt.

I have never had anyone bother me while I'm operating my drone.
But I must admit when I'm flying my drone, my Glock 17 is prominently displayed on my right hip.
And yes, Virginia, it is 100% legal for me to be carrying a firearm in any location where I fly.

But I must admit when I'm flying my drone, my Glock 17 is prominently displayed on my right hip.
And yes, Virginia, it is 100% legal for me to be carrying a firearm in any location where I fly.
Think maybe they'd be taking you a little more seriously.

Stay on topic.

Kevin Morris of the FAA

"I know you think you bought a toy, but you really bought an aircraft and you are actually that aircraft's pilot"

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Another real world consideration is the culture of the area you are flying in. I am not talking about race, religion, age, sex, yada yada. Think company culture. That set of written and unwritten guidelines that every company develops over time. I have Detroit close by. The culture of law enforcement there concentrates on other offences and has little interest in drone activity. Chances are if they can respond the response will be just quit this to both parties, pilot and Karen. Not far from Detroit is Ann Arbor. Different story. The pilot would most likely be the first to be chastised as per demand of the population. The focus of law enforcement in the two cities is very diverse.

Reactions: halifax
Another real world consideration is the culture of the area you are flying in. I am not talking about race, religion, age, sex, yada yada. Think company culture. That set of written and unwritten guidelines that every company develops over time. I have Detroit close by. The culture of law enforcement there concentrates on other offences and has little interest in drone activity. Chances are if they can respond the response will be just quit this to both parties, pilot and Karen. Not far from Detroit is Ann Arbor. Different story. The pilot would most likely be the first to be chastised as per demand of the population. The focus of law enforcement in the two cities is very diverse.
It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

A tale of two cities.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Not too worried about it. I don't really care about the nut cases and I doubt most of these encounters will change radically due to RID. In other words I just don't see the majority of nut cases using the app to hunt me down. Most of my encounters have been wrong time and/or wrong place when I run into these people. If RID promotes LE to learn the actual rules to enforce, it even might help. At least I'd have a record that my flight is in compliance. A lot of this will hinge on how LE will use RID.

I think what would be a big concern is if the app releases my name and the address of where I live. That would be a huge red flag for me but I've yet to see any proof that will happen.

Reactions: Zeke
Not too worried about it. I don't really care about the nut cases and I doubt most of these encounters will change radically due to RID. In other words I just don't see the majority of nut cases using the app to hunt me down. Most of my encounters have been wrong time and/or wrong place when I run into these people. If RID promotes LE to learn the actual rules to enforce, it even might help. At least I'd have a record that my flight is in compliance. A lot of this will hinge on how LE will use RID.

I think what would be a big concern is if the app releases my name and the address of where I live. That would be a huge red flag for me but I've yet to see any proof that will happen.
About like they use a speed radar gun if that gives you any clues.

About like they use a speed radar gun if that gives you any clues.
Well a bit off topic but I don't have issues with LE using radar. And I could care less if you purchase a radar gun and check my speed. Now a radar gun with a public data base that tells you the name of the person driving...that would be a red flag to me.

Well a bit off topic but I don't have issues with LE using radar. And I could care less if you purchase a radar gun and check my speed. Now a radar gun with a public data base that tells you the name of the person driving...that would be a red flag to me.
I think they do have plate readers in places.

I guess I should have said a data base with my name and address that the public can access via RID. Like I said I don't care if the proper authorities have access to it.
And supposedly they are two separate encounters. But the RID puts put a serial that is connected with what you gave the faa in the drone zone. The danger is the controllers location on standard on board modules where they can have an altercation.

I'm jealous, in my country you get thrown in jail if you punch someone in self-defense, it's ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka