DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thought on Mavic 3 Pro - photography only

jnnyr

Reactions
I don't do much in the way of videography and am wondering if the 3 Pro is worth it just for Photography. As I can already shoot in Raw at standard and 7X ranges is the 3X option a game changer?

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Wow! How does one answer that for you? You can see examples all over the net. Unfortunately mostly video and being motion sharpness is not wanted as it is in a still. You can see the compression of dof in these examples. You could get a sense of the value with a 24 to 70 mm zoom on a full frame still camera Using the extremes of the lens. The wide aperture of the 3x might be a bit soft. A 1:1.3 sensor is pretty small. Both as compared to a full frame still camera. Having said that, today most images are taken on a phone. I use a D850 and Z6 for stills so I’ve never gotten a great still on my drones in comparison.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I don't do much in the way of videography and am wondering if the 3 Pro is worth it just for Photography. As I can already shoot in Raw at standard and 7X ranges is the 3X option a game changer?
It depends of course on what kind of photography you want to do. But for me, who also is a stills photographer, a focal length of 70mm equiv. would be very useful, and if I had a Mavic 3 Pro that would probably be my most used lens. The sensor is the same as in the Mini 3 Pro, with a fixed aperture. As far as I have seen the image quality is great, all things considered. And I think it will perform well in good light, a bit worse (noise, low dynamic range) in darker situations.
We all have different expectations and definitions of quality, some may say the images are almost unusable, others will say they are terrific and more than good enough for most uses.
But a focal length of around 70mm is a very good idea for stills photographers.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It depends of course on what kind of photography you want to do. But for me, who also is a stills photographer, a focal length of 70mm equiv. would be very useful, and if I had a Mavic 3 Pro that would probably be my most used lens. The sensor is the same as in the Mini 3 Pro, with a fixed aperture. As far as I have seen the image quality is great, all things considered. And I think it will perform well in good light, a bit worse (noise, low dynamic range) in darker situations.
We all have different expectations and definitions of quality, some may say the images are almost unusable, others will say they are terrific and more than good enough for most uses.
But a focal length of around 70mm is a very good idea for stills photographers.
Thank you, waynorth. I shoot mostly landscape so it runs the gamut on the subject matter. I would still keep the old Mavic 3 if I did get the Pro until I felt comfortable enough to just use the one. I was holding out hope DJI would make a swappable lens offering but I guess their answer is just keep adding more lenses to the craft. A small concern is this new weight topping out over 900 grams which effectively outlaws it in many European countries (as a hobbyist). So far I've only brought the 3 to Switzerland and France.

Thank you, waynorth. I shoot mostly landscape so it runs the gamut on the subject matter.
A short tele lens like the 70mm can be ideal for landscape photography. Most people believe that to take photos of landscape you must use a wide angle, but the result is often boring images with too much empty space. Especially when photographing from the air.
Using a wide angle for landscape is actually quite difficult, as you need something interesting in the foreground that can lead your eyes further into the background in the photo, to get that three-dimensional feeling.
So I recommend getting the 3 Pro for the 70mm alone :)

I am another landscape photographer doing entirely still images with my Mavic 3. For me getting the 3 Pro with the additional 70mm lens choice is a no brainer. When I am out my DSLR I carry a 17-40mm zoom, a 24-105mm zoom, and a 100-400mm zoom and I use them all extensively. As waynorth already mentioned shooting at 24mm all the time makes incredibly boring landscape images for anything beyond wide panoramic viewpoints and I spend as little time as possible at places like that. I find the current jump from 24mm to 162mm with my Mavic 3 to be quite limiting for my compositions and look forward to having the 70mm choice as well.

Thank you both for your input. I agree the 70 is very useful to the arsenal. In the trinity of lenses (24-70, 70-200, 200-500) it's always the 24-70 that's my go to. I only wish that DJI would offer a buying option of just the bird since I have no need for batteries or a controller. From what I've read, they will offer that option somewhere down the road.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I expect it will be for me and have ordered it already. Often the 7x is so long that I have to take a series of images and stitch them together or use the much less capable Explore mode. Having a 3x will for me, be (I expect) very useful and for videography it will provide another perspective I am looking forward to although I rarely have foreground objects as I do a lot of mountain images like my recent post of the Alaska Range

I expect it will be for me and have ordered it already. Often the 7x is so long that I have to take a series of images and stitch them together or use the much less capable Explore mode. Having a 3x will for me, be (I expect) very useful and for videography it will provide another perspective I am looking forward to although I rarely have foreground objects as I do a lot of mountain images like my recent post of the Alaska Range
Like you, I've done a ton of the 7X stitching for some great Pano's and would love an alternative. I too do a lot of mountain range stuff in Vermont and NH as well as the Alps. I think I'm also going to preorder as well. Just selling my M2pro now. No sense keeping too many lying around (P3A, M2P, Mavic 3). Although the P3A saved my bacon. My M2pro once RTH'd right into a very high tree I was under (stupid mistake) and it was fall so there were many thin branches it couldn't see. Anyway, the P3A became my rescue machine to get a line up to 80' into the tree so I could shake the branch the M2Pro was nested in. Came down like a champ into my waiting glove hand.

I think the new Mavic 3 Pro is going to be fantastic for aerial stills.

I have been shooting aerials for work for decades from both helicopters and high fixed wing and if I had to choose a lens range for that, it would be in the range that the new Mavic 3 Pro is, 24mm, 70mm and 166mm. To echo what many have said, I expect the 70mm to be used a lot, especially for stitching verticals that are 2x3. Philip Bloom uploaded some decent DNG samples on announcement day and they look good overall, the 70mm is nice and flat field with even sharpness, unlike the often problematic 24mm.

I was doing video work for a few years when the pandemic started in order to boost income but honestly, I am selling off that gear now and only doing stills.

So I am simply adding the basic Mavic 3 Pro kit to to my 6 battery Cine kit for a burly duo. I will use these birds along with my EVOII Enterprise and Mini 3 Pro, all of which are great for aerial stills.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy and jnnyr
I also only do 99 % stills and would instantly take the Mavic 3 Pro for the additional focal lengths that come in quite handy for landscape or cityscape photography too, like compressing or emphasising views (as @skyscapist very well showed).

That said, with the MTOM above 900 g there's is hardly any use for me in my preferred motifs (landscape, cityscape) . In EASA airspace you are restricted flying near people or objects comparing in A2 open category to 30 m distance (can be lowered with slow mode to 5 m). And while there's a chance to just fly and obey these rules in dense areas, you are highly likely to explain yourself or be noticeable far more than with my DJI Mini 3 Pro I' have owned too.

So I' ve passed so far (holding an active A2 certificate) and may wait for DJI to probably adapt the Mavic 3 Pro with a less heavier battery for Europe (but I don't think they will, as they would certainly put that out like with the Mini 3 Pro).

Besides that on a personal note: DJI should really up their pano algorithm. Not speaking of the in-drone stitching itself, which I never use, but DJI, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE support allow us to automatically take series of pictures with other focal lengths too and while you are slightly altering the code, PLEASE ALSO INCLUDE AEB mode in it. Can't be that hard too, right?

Wow! How does one answer that for you? You can see examples all over the net. Unfortunately mostly video and being motion sharpness is not wanted as it is in a still. You can see the compression of dof in these examples. You could get a sense of the value with a 24 to 70 mm zoom on a full frame still camera Using the extremes of the lens. The wide aperture of the 3x might be a bit soft. A 1:1.3 sensor is pretty small. Both as compared to a full frame still camera. Having said that, today most images are taken on a phone. I use a D850 and Z6 for stills so I’ve never gotten a great still on my drones in comparison.
I use a drone, a D850 and a D800E and quality has never been a problem with the drone.

Reactions: tls3601 and KS-6
Thank you both for your input. I agree the 70 is very useful to the arsenal. In the trinity of lenses (24-70, 70-200, 200-500) it's always the 24-70 that's my go to. I only wish that DJI would offer a buying option of just the bird since I have no need for batteries or a controller. From what I've read, they will offer that option somewhere down the road.
Give DJI a few weeks.
Once the initial rush is over (those already with controllers but having to have the latest) the drone will be offered without a controller. It's something that DJI has done for years.

Give DJI a few weeks.
Once the initial rush is over (those already with controllers but having to have the latest) the drone will be offered without a controller. It's something that DJI has done for years.
Agreed. As I have the 3 I am in no need to rush. If I can get away with only a $1,700 splurge as I have no need for anything else it seems a no brainer. Selling my M2P will make it even easier.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and DanJ
I suspect that the code to handle AEB would be straightforward. But if panos were shot with AEB, there would need to be a setting to disable in-drone stitching.

Not sure I understand the point of having AEB for panos. Just change your settings after each pano is finished.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000