DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on this style of color grading?

Yaros

Reactions
Yesterday my friend and I were editing a drone video we recorded of Portocolom, Mallorca, and wanted to try something a bit different on color grading.
Here is how it turned out!
Would like to receive any comments and suggestions how to improve it!

Shot on Air 2S and Air 2. D-Log and D-Cinelike color profiles respectively.

Not really sure what I'm looking at exactly. The highlights and shadows are well preserved and presented. Image looks sharp and not over sharp. No apparent moiré. Don't see any obtrusive vignette. Saturation looks vivid without over saturation. Not sure about the red cast over the trees and ground. Is that real or artistic?

Earth, sky, water, boats, buildings all seemed fine in this grade.

The trees did *not* look good to my eye. To go this heavy to the orange *and* preserve some naturalistic look for the trees would require the use of mattes to hold back the effect over green content. That’s advanced work that I myself do not have much experience with.

These are the colors of sunset and sunrise. I feel that the grade would be more strongly motivated and anchored if there were shots that were clearly sunset/sunrise. There was an “almost” about 1:30…

Reactions: GFields
I'm with @SethB on his assessment.

Keep up on keeping on!

MY OPINION:
If it was graded to show the beauty of the area without connection to anything else as B roll to illustrate a move, I'm not fond of it. Were some or all of it B roll to bring the audience into a certain mood for other filming it could work. But as stand alone footage I would do something different, making the area more inviting. JMO

I like the color grading. The blue of the water with what seemed like sharpened shadows to me had a travel magazine look to it...that's what it make me thing of anyway. There was a retro feel to it without being exaggerated or obvious.

Color grading and color correction seems like a function that would be well served by an AI tool and yet I know of no such tool. This is such a difficult task for those like me with a significant color vision deficiency.

Reactions: Yaros
Yesterday my friend and I were editing a drone video we recorded of Portocolom, Mallorca, and wanted to try something a bit different on color grading.

Are the trees all dead?
If not
Maybe a more green?

Reactions: Yaros

I think the overall color tone was a bit overdone on the red slider. Move it a bit to the blue.

I liked the videography a lot. My idea about coloring is whatever is pleasing to you. The mood can be shifted in so many ways.

I liked the videography a lot. My idea about coloring is whatever is pleasing to you. The mood can be shifted in so many ways.
And that's the idea behind color "grading" rather than color "correction". It's about mood rather than being "correct".

Looks good.

It is too heavy on the RED. You need to dial back the red coloring. The trees are all orange as are the houses and everything else. It I nice video if the color was not off.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhop786