DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thread lock bonding time (When changing out propellers)

draalin

Reactions
Hi,

I had to change out a few propellers on my Mini the other day.

About 10 minutes after changing them I noticed one screw (a new replacement screw) on a propeller didn't go in completely straight so I removed it and put in properly.

Would the thread lock on the replacement screw have bonded within 10 minutes? Or even be considered used at that point as it was screwed in/out?

I'm wondering if I should've just switched an extra unused screw, or if it's safe to continue with the one that's being used.

Thanks!

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi,

I had to change out a few propellers on my Mini the other day.

About 10 minutes after changing them I noticed one screw (a new replacement screw) on a propeller didn't go in completely straight so I removed it and put in properly.

Would the thread lock on the replacement screw have bonded within 10 minutes? Or even be considered used at that point as it was screwed in/out?

I'm wondering if I should've just switched an extra unused screw, or if it's safe to continue with the one that's being used.

Thanks!
the thread lock that comes on the screws is activated by heat which is produced by the friction between the threads when it is being screwed in and is really a one use product it does not become active again after the screw is removed how long it takes to set is relative to the temperature at the time of activation so a few minutes would be required for it to set properly

Reactions: draalin
the thread lock that comes on the screws is activated by heat which is produced by the friction between the threads when it is being screwed in and is really a one use product it does not become active again after the screw is removed how long it takes to set is relative to the temperature at the time of activation so a few minutes would be required for it to set properly

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll switch it out for an unused screw.

Blue thread lock (at least the Loctite branded version I am familiar with) has a full cure time of 24 hours from memory.

I would be less concerned with the performance of the thread locking compound than the potential damage you may have done with the poorly executed screw installation.

For the cost and potential consequence of failure considerations I would be inclined to remove the screw, carefully inspect the thread (replace damaged component of necessary) and reinstall with a fresh application of thread locker.

Blue thread lock (at least the Loctite branded version I am familiar with) has a full cure time of 24 hours from memory.

I would be less concerned with the performance of the thread locking compound than the potential damage you may have done with the poorly executed screw installation.

For the cost and potential consequence of failure considerations I would be inclined to remove the screw, carefully inspect the thread (replace damaged component of necessary) and reinstall with a fresh application of thread locker.
i agree a good practice for prop changing, would be to make sure that there are not lots of old thread lock in the screw holes before inserting the new prop screw ,another trick to help the screw from not becoming cross threaded is to turn it slowly the wrong way till you feel it find the start of the thread and then slowly screw it in till it seats keeping the screwdriver straight up not at an angle

Reactions: draalin and scooot
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can pick up blue thread lock tomorrow since it sounds like it'll be good to have on hand.

I was just doing some searching on what it looks like others have used and I'm seeing Loctite 242 and 243.

Would one of those be recommended for use on the Mini? Seems like 243 might hold better but could it cause any damage?

I'm unsure if anyone knows what the screws shipped from DJI come with.

Use 242 (blue). I don’t like the Permatex brand you can usually find at Canadian Tire, I get my Loctite from machine shop suppliers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11