DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thumbwheel problem on Smart Controller with Mavic 2 Pro

CeeJayW

Reactions
I have just bought my first Drone. A Mavic 2 Pro with a smart controller. It has only left the ground twice, hovered at 4 feet then landed. No crashes or damage.
Following an update to 'DJI GO 4', the right hand thumbwheel has ceased working.
I am a complete newbie with drones but have followed some basic fault finding techniques and I believe the problem is to do with the update. I have listed the actions I have taken below with the conclusions that I have come to. It would be great if someone could look over what I have done and suggest a cure or course of action that would remedy the problem. I am anxious to get flying soon and to not invalidate my warranty or make the situation worse.

Drone has not been flown other than two practice take offs ie take off, hover at 4 feet and land. It has not been involved in an accident and there is no damage to it.

Gimball

Calibration;
when instigated by the smart controller, the gimball moves up and down and rotates without restriction.

This rules out a physical problem with the Gimball

Gimball also responds to the left thumb-wheel by rotating from up to down position

Smart Controller

Calibration of thumb-wheels appears to work ok. Blue band appears and controller reports that calibration is successful on both left and right wheels.

Left thumb-wheel works and instigates vertical rotation of the gimball

-------------Right thumb-wheel gets no response from the Gimball--------

Vertical swipe on the screen instigates vertical rotation of the Gimball

Horizontal swipe on the screen instigates left/right rotation of the Gimball

All was working before download of update to the smart controller

I think that this indicates that
a) the Gimball is physically in good shape
b) the Gimball responds to instruction from the Smart Controller
c) the thumbwheel physical operation is ok
d) the software is able to control the Gimball and the connection is good
e) the problem must exist between thumbwheel and Gimball control routine but is it physical or software?

Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here will be very much appreciated, thankyou

I have just bought my first Drone. A Mavic 2 Pro with a smart controller. It has only left the ground twice, hovered at 4 feet then landed. No crashes or damage.
Following an update to 'DJI GO 4', the right hand thumbwheel has ceased working.
I am a complete newbie with drones but have followed some basic fault finding techniques and I believe the problem is to do with the update. I have listed the actions I have taken below with the conclusions that I have come to. It would be great if someone could look over what I have done and suggest a cure or course of action that would remedy the problem. I am anxious to get flying soon and to not invalidate my warranty or make the situation worse.

Drone has not been flown other than two practice take offs ie take off, hover at 4 feet and land. It has not been involved in an accident and there is no damage to it.

Gimball

Calibration;
when instigated by the smart controller, the gimball moves up and down and rotates without restriction.

Gimball also responds to the left thumb-wheel by rotating from up to down position

Smart Controller

Calibration of thumb-wheels appears to work ok. Blue band appears and controller reports that calibration is successful on both left and right wheels.

e) the problem must exist between thumbwheel and Gimball control routine but is it physical or software?

Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here will be very much appreciated, thankyou
Doh!!!!
It looks as though I may have answered my own question. I have been taking on so much information, obviously more than I can cope with. I was convinced that the right hand thumbwheel operated the camera sweep from left to right. After several hours trying to find the problem, I have re consulted the manual, it operates the camera settings. I've been trying to work out why it won't do what its not supposed to!
Point to note for the future me thinks..

Gimball

Calibration;

Smart Controller

You've done extremely well trying to diagnose the issue, kudos there. The right thumb wheel does not do anything to the Gimbal on the M2P, the right dial only does camera controls, see the default settings for the right thumb dial below
1626708937734.png

Reactions: suade8880
Thankyou Aerial_Pixel for taking the time and making the effort to answer my post. I feel a lot better now that I am able to put the problem to bed. I am shocked at how much there is to learn even before leaving the ground.

Reactions: DougMcC

Gimball

Calibration;

Smart Controller

On the Mavic 2 Zoom the right wheel zooms the camera. But as you already appear to have discovered, on the Pro which has no zoom, the right wheel changes certain camera settings. So, it would sound like all is good.

Doh!!!!
It looks as though I may have answered my own question. I have been taking on so much information, obviously more than I can cope with. I was convinced that the right hand thumbwheel operated the camera sweep from left to right. After several hours trying to find the problem, I have re consulted the manual, it operates the camera settings. I've been trying to work out why it won't do what its not supposed to!
Point to note for the future me thinks..
Bummer! I read your original post, and thought “Wow, I didn’t know I could use the right thumbwheel that way”, and was excited to try it. Maybe a suggestion to DJI?

Greetings welcome to the forum! Yes, reading the manual first, is always a good idea :)

Bummer! I read your original post, and thought “Wow, I didn’t know I could use the right thumbwheel that way”, and was excited to try it. Maybe a suggestion to DJI?
On my SC swipe the screen left or right to move the camera along the horizontal axis.

Hi, and thanks. I knew that a swipe worked, but thought that a thumbwheel movement could be much smoother, like the tilt angle on the gimbal/camera. This would be even better if you could adjust the response as you can for many control movements. And there's always a lot going on on the screen, and I don't want my hand in the way. But, alas...

It’s a shame one can’t program the right thumb wheel to control the gimbals hori movement. Or can you?

And the wonderful 3 way switch on the SC that puts M2Pro and Zoom into tripod mode switches a P4P V2 into ATTI mode! Imagine my shock when I switched over and expected tripod, only to have the bird start flying away with the wind! Like taking a gulp of water only to find high proof vodka instead.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+