DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thunderstorms Look Really Cool but . . .

Iceman318

Reactions
So T-storms make for some great photo / video ops. Question is, what's a safe distance from those without getting blown out of the sky by a bold of lightening? Anyone have any experience with this?

So T-storms make for some great photo / video ops. Question is, what's a safe distance from those without getting blown out of the sky by a bold of lightening? Anyone have any experience with this?

You might enjoy this thread:

Smart glider pilots try to give wide berth to thunderstorms. For although the convective air associated with them provides lots of lift, (along with downdrafts too), horizontal lightning can commonly reach 5 to 10 miles from the storm. 20 miles and more is not unheard of.

Aircraft commonly have "static wicks" at the trailing edge of flying surfaces. This, to help bleed off static charges in the airframe that accrue as the aircraft moves through the charged air. Lighting can be attracted to electrically charged aircraft. The charge build up can also interfere with air-band communications.

Lightning can literally blow the wing off a glider. The extremely high voltage, up to a billion volts, and as much as 200,000 amps, travel through the carbon fiber (conductive) structure and literally turn moisture to steam, which then blows the structure apart. Both pilot and student, in the example I'm quoting, were able to bail out and survived.

Smart glider pilots try to give wide berth to thunderstorms. For although the convective air associated with them provides lots of lift, (along with downdrafts too), horizontal lightning can commonly reach 5 to 10 miles from the storm. 20 miles and more is not unheard of.

Aircraft commonly have "static wicks" at the trailing edge of flying surfaces. This, to help bleed off static charges in the airframe that accrue as the aircraft moves through the charged air. Lighting can be attracted to electrically charged aircraft. The charge build up can also interfere with air-band communications.

Lightning can literally blow the wing off a glider. The extremely high voltage, up to a billion volts, and as much as 200,000 amps, travel through the carbon fiber (conductive) structure and literally turn moisture to steam, which then blows the structure apart. Both pilot and student, in the example I'm quoting, were able to bail out and survived.

Great info - thanks!! At that distance, it's not worth the risk for a video.

IIRC my weather alert starts getting busy at 30 miles out and gets more intense warning as it gets closer. I'm pretty sure 30 miles is the "Danger" threshold for it though. Anything under 10 miles is SEEK SHELTER NOW.

I was flying in a thunderstorm yesterday. The gust front associated with it is unpredictable and comes on suddenly, and typically exceeds the wind limits. A much bigger concern would be the operator being struck by lightning.Lightning strike - Wikipedia. It would be fun to see a video posted on here of thunderstorm activity

Last edited:
The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000 , but you can minimize that risk by not flying in an open field or hanging by a tree.
I have found the best way is simply to fly from inside the car, or from inside the house thru a window.

For those of us that find flying in the storms fascinating, Just taking a few precautions
will go a long way and stretch out those odds even further.

Now my chances of falling down the stairs when I hear the Thunder Boom to get my drone is a concern as over 1000 a year loose the life to the fall.
I do hang on tightly to the hand rail. ;)

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm.

Question is, what's a safe distance from those without getting blown out of the sky by a bold of lightening? Anyone have any experience with this?

I've been shooting weather and lightning for a couple of decades. You're far more likely to get blown out of the sky by the gust front and associated turbulence than a bolt of lightning. Not to mention the probability of getting some parts wet that shouldn't get wet (unless you equip your drone with a wetsuit, anyway.)

I was flying in a thunderstorm yesterday. The gust front associated with it is unpredictable and comes on suddenly, and typically exceeds the wind limits. A much bigger concern would be the operator being struck by lightning.Lightning strike - Wikipedia. It would be fun to see a video posted on here of thunderstorm activity

The recorded "World Record" is 440 miles. 709 kilometers. Wacky stuff.

Im wondering what was the Catalyst for this in the sand. hidden treasure maybe. WOW whats the story on this shot ?

I regularly go out to the Four Peaks Wilderness area during our "Southwest Monsoon" storm season. That was the last photo I took that day. It was 113 degrees and *raining* on me for a few minutes before the temperature dropped.

I have a few other photos from that day - I posted one in another thread - but that particular strike was just under a quarter-mile away, and *extremely* loud, and I decided it was definitely time to "bug-out."

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851