DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time Remapping?

RTKD

Reactions
I've been experimenting with time remapping more and I can't decide whether I like it or not. On one hand I would relish the ability to produce more dynamic footage, but on the other hand it's difficult to pull off without looking mechanical, and sometimes sped up footage looks downright goofy.
Now time-lapses are another story. I've done a few to get the hang of it, but I've yet to get one in a place and time worth shooting.

What do you guys think? Do you speed up / slow down your footage very often? Do you have a time-lapse that you're particularly proud of? Please post what you've got!

This video has some of my favorite sped up shots I've used. Some of the beginning is at normal speed, but as the music picks up almost the whole thing is between 2 - 8X

[Edit] It's a little off topic, but I'm an aspiring race drone pilot. Not for racing mind you, I love it's potential for capturing high velocity footage in close proximity, and at amazing angles. (hence my desire to speed up my footage) Thing is: they're kinda difficult to fly accurately, and it takes a lot of time on the sticks to master. Many of you may have seen this kind of footage, but this is a new pilot I discovered tonight that's pretty much unknown, but won't be after today. I hope you find it as inspiring as I do

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I also want to fly the racing drone and I know this type of drone is usually constructed by the pilot himself. So I don't know where to start. Do you have any tutorial resources?

Reactions: RTKD
I've built two, wrecked and fixed them both enough times to get an idea of what I'm up against. Fixing them is pretty much a constant even for the best pilots, so if you're serious about flying it does make sense to build your own.
If you were to jump right into what I consider the most future proof frame out there (this is my next build) I would go for the Hyperlight Flosstyle. It's easy to fix, and it's designed by a very straightforward pilot that really wants to get people into the air.
He's Kabab FPV on youtube, and he's a fount of knowledge. That's a 5" frame which is standard, and carries a GoPro well, but they're a little intimidating to fly at first. (was for me).
My GoTo quad right now is almost half that size at 3". Less power, but less weight means less breaks when I inevitably crash all day long. (no Gopro, just practice) It's a tooth fairy
Another Youtuber Joshua Bardwell is a good source. He has the ultimate shopping list here, and does step by step builds on his channel

Reactions: Lykus
I personally like the speed ramping effect, if done with a smooth shot I think it can work.

Here's one I did recently, the drone footage starts at about 0:20 in with a few examples of speed ramping

Reactions: RTKD
That's a nice edit, well done. That is a staple effect you've pointed out, but it's different than trying to "sell" the fast shot. When it's broken up that way it's obviously an editing technique, as opposed to a shot that you may not notice being sped up in post.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ