DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini TIMELAPSE PRO AND CONS

Jack43

Reactions
TIMELAPSE Pro and Cons
Timelapse sequences can be beautiful, amazing, fascinating, revealing, and so on.

Here some cons:

Cityscapes
with fast moving/flouncing people, vehicles, greenerie as trees and bushes.
Such sceneries looks rather annoying and stressful. Not to mention silly.

Landscapes with beautifull cloud formations and a completely flouncing foreground with peolpe vehicles trees and so on.

Lakes/Sea the same problem, because a fast moving shivering water surface looks very strange and queerly. Exeptions: if the water surface is waveless and it looks like a „mirror“ The problem is that one can not often see sea-shores like „mirrors“
Whereas lakes often are flat with no waves at all!

And some pros:
blossoming
flowers and plants. You need some knowledge about the different „speeds“ of blossoming flowers! For example a crocus opens very fast, in about 1-2 hours. A rose needs much more time!

Landscapes: Sunrise, sunset, moonrise/set are very rewarding subjects, presupposed that there are any trees, peoples vehicles in the foregound! Amazing clouds as cumulus and an approaching thunderstorm!

Firmament: The milkyway and the stars are also very nice subjects to shoot in timelapse..Without any moving subjects in the foreground! Trees which wobbels in the wind doesn´t look god at all in a timelapse sequence

Others: Imagine following scene: A chalet without snow. Then it starts to snow and little by little the snow on the roof begins to grow. Not really an option for poeple which livs in rahter warm regions:)
Frostwork on windows looks also very interesting as a timelapse!

Nature: A butterly emerges from its chrysalis, a snail comes out of its shell, a spider builts its web,
maggots are becoming flies...And there are many other very slow things which happens in the nature!

Science: to show very slow proceedings, as for example a metal plate which becomes rusty.

These were only a couple of thoughts about timelaps shooting! What are your thoughts?

BTW, if there are spelling errors or grammatical mistakes please forgive me...My native language is german, Swiss german:)
cheers and happy shooting
Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: Area Aerial
First let me say that your English is great. I didn't even pick up on the fact that it is not your first language, had you not said something I wouldn't have known.

Myself, I rather enjoy some of the hectic nature of a timelapse in a cityscape. To me the traffic and people moving at hyper speeds illustrate the fast-paced life in the city. It can be overdone though. In most cases I am in agreement with trees blowing in the wind, that just seems a bit distracting. However I kinda like moving water (like an ocean beach) at high speeds. Often I feel the best use of timelapse I have seen is clouds. Its almost as if they are made for it. They change at a pace slow enough to be just outside the limits of watching with the naked eye, but rapidly enough to create dramatic effect when sped up just a little. Then there are extreme timelapses, like the construction of a new building which are done over the course of years. Those are interesting to see.

When my GoPro was fairly new I set it in my front yard to test out the timelapse ability. This video has 3 of the things just discussed; traffic, trees moving in the wind and a storm brewing on the horizon.

First let me say that your English is great. I didn't even pick up on the fact that it is not your first language, had you not said something I wouldn't have known.
oh thank you very much for the nice compliment ?
Myself, I rather enjoy some of the hectic nature of a timelapse in a cityscape. To me the traffic and people moving at hyper speeds illustrate the fast-paced life in the city. It can be overdone though. In most cases I am in agreement with trees blowing in the wind, that just seems a bit distracting. However I kinda like moving water (like an ocean beach) at high speeds. Often I feel the best use of timelapse I have seen is clouds. Its almost as if they are made for it. They change at a pace slow enough to be just outside the limits of watching with the naked eye, but rapidly enough to create dramatic effect when sped up just a little. Then there are extreme timelapses, like the construction of a new building which are done over the course of years. Those are interesting to see.
Each one of course has his preference. to show a stressed citly life It´s ok to use timelapse, if it´s not overdone!
In my thread I forgot to mention timelapse of construction. This is a very good opportunity to show what is happening!
And of course the cloud are amazing when the move fast!
When my GoPro was fairly new I set it in my front yard to test out the timelapse ability. This video has 3 of the things just discussed; traffic, trees moving in the wind and a storm brewing on the horizon.
I did some likeable timelapse shots with my first Hero, the Hero3 black. The developping cloud in your clip look good, the only thing which is distracting is the tree but not the cars passing by because they are not so numerous ?

thanks for your tought about timelapse shooting!
I´ve got a short moon example, called "witching hour" with sound ? ? Cheers Paul

Reactions: Area Aerial
I too have dabbled a bit with Time Lapse. I think it has purposes as Paul listed under his "Pros". One I tried was the "Snowfall"time lapse, but the storm fizzled out - failure. Another was documenting some renovations to our family room over several days. That was fun, and the contractor liked it too.

At some point I mean to experiment a bit with the Hyperlapse feature of my M2Z. Which, far as I can see is just a moving time lapse.

Oh, and Paul, I too am a transplant from Germany (Ich bin ein Munchner) here in the (near) north of Canada. My German is far, far worse than your English, which is near flawless.

I also shoot a lot of timelapses. Agree when trees are in the clip. I focus on sunrises and cloud formations. I do like the "river wind" effect on water as long as the water is fairly calm, and the wind on a field of tall grass. Boats along the intracoastal waterway gets interesting. Ground fog moves so gracefully in timelapses

I too have dabbled a bit with Time Lapse. I think it has purposes as Paul listed under his "Pros". One I tried was the "Snowfall"time lapse, but the storm fizzled out - failure. Another was documenting some renovations to our family room over several days. That was fun, and the contractor liked it too.
Hi Barbara,
when it´s too windy of course ut is not advisable to do timelaps. Documenting a reonvation job looks good, I also did it some time ago!
At some point I mean to experiment a bit with the Hyperlapse feature of my M2Z. Which, far as I can see is just a moving time lapse.
I can´t tell nothing about Hyperlapse in Th M2Z because I own "only" the Mini2 ?
Oh, and Paul, I too am a transplant from Germany (Ich bin ein Munchner) here in the (near) north of Canada. My German is far, far worse than your English, which is near flawless.
Ah, you´r from Munich? Beautiful Town! I am from Bern in Switzerland, also beatutiful ?
Thank you very much for the nice compliment about my english ??
If your German is worse you must be in Canada since a long time?
cheers Paul

Reactions: Barbara
I also shoot a lot of timelapses. Agree when trees are in the clip. I focus on sunrises and cloud formations. I do like the "river wind" effect on water as long as the water is fairly calm, and the wind on a field of tall grass. Boats along the intracoastal waterway gets interesting. Ground fog moves so gracefully in timelapses
Hi Lens, As you say, clouds sunrises/settings also the tall grass and of course the moving fog are very nice subjects to shoot in timelapse...And of course many other things too ?
cheers Paul

Hyperlapses, timelapses are great for cloud movements.

Below is one I recently made. In retrospect, I should have made the hyperlapse longer.

Hyperlapses, timelapses are great for cloud movements.

Below is one I recently made. In retrospect, I should have made the hyperlapse longer.
Hi icecoldgin...Why not Tequila? Just a joke ?
I like your cloud timelapse, that is exactrly one of the subjects I preferre...Oh yes, it was a little bit short ?
thanks for sharing!
You can still do a longer one ? about 15 to 20 second would be fine!
cheers Paul

Hi icecoldgin...Why not Tequila? Just a joke ?
I like your cloud timelapse, that is exactrly one of the subjects I preferre...Oh yes, it was a little bit short ?
thanks for sharing!
You can still do a longer one ? about 15 to 20 second would be fine!
cheers Paul
Ohhh, icecoldtequila sounds great also.

Yep, will shoot for a longer hyperlapse the next time around. Thumbswayup :)

Jack43, your moon timelapse is amazing. I envy the celestial photographers, their equipment is expensive and they spend a lot of time in post. Cheers to icecoldgin for the cloud clip

Nice, that Moon is awesome. Your thread inspired me to post this, taken last week over the hill behind my house. Lots of unusual cloud formations above this hill and some are really strange. This one looked cool and I was trying to figure out what was causing it to remain in place with strong winds blowing from right to left. When played back even faster I noticed the rotation!

Reactions: Lens and Barbara
TIMELAPSE Pro and Cons
Timelapse sequences can be beautiful, amazing, fascinating, revealing, and so on.

Here some cons:

Cityscapes
with fast moving/flouncing people, vehicles, greenerie as trees and bushes.
Such sceneries looks rather annoying and stressful. Not to mention silly.

Landscapes with beautifull cloud formations and a completely flouncing foreground with peolpe vehicles trees and so on.

Lakes/Sea the same problem, because a fast moving shivering water surface looks very strange and queerly. Exeptions: if the water surface is waveless and it looks like a „mirror“ The problem is that one can not often see sea-shores like „mirrors“
Whereas lakes often are flat with no waves at all!

And some pros:
blossoming
flowers and plants. You need some knowledge about the different „speeds“ of blossoming flowers! For example a crocus opens very fast, in about 1-2 hours. A rose needs much more time!

Landscapes: Sunrise, sunset, moonrise/set are very rewarding subjects, presupposed that there are any trees, peoples vehicles in the foregound! Amazing clouds as cumulus and an approaching thunderstorm!

Firmament: The milkyway and the stars are also very nice subjects to shoot in timelapse..Without any moving subjects in the foreground! Trees which wobbels in the wind doesn´t look god at all in a timelapse sequence

Others: Imagine following scene: A chalet without snow. Then it starts to snow and little by little the snow on the roof begins to grow. Not really an option for poeple which livs in rahter warm regions:)
Frostwork on windows looks also very interesting as a timelapse!

Nature: A butterly emerges from its chrysalis, a snail comes out of its shell, a spider builts its web,
maggots are becoming flies...And there are many other very slow things which happens in the nature!

Science: to show very slow proceedings, as for example a metal plate which becomes rusty.

These were only a couple of thoughts about timelaps shooting! What are your thoughts?

BTW, if there are spelling errors or grammatical mistakes please forgive me...My native language is german, Swiss german:)
cheers and happy shooting
Paul
Hi Paul:
I like your new Avatar.

As you probably know, I am a timelapse afficionado! It is a fantastic medium to use as part of a film. I am in the school of multi-media, which, in essence means, I am using every sort of medium to create my films. So timelapse sequences are just another tool in my toolkit. If you have seen my work, you will have taken note of my use of at least 5 or 6 different sources, including static timelapse (e.g.: using a tripod to record the timelapse), motion timelapse (e.g.: using a very complex. three axis motion slider to capture a timelapse in a horizontal, vertical, and rotational axis simultaneously), and then, single images from my DSLR, video from my Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket, and Osmo Gimble), and finally, video from my Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. You can refer to examples on my Vimeo site. Dale Davis,M.D.
I would argue that cityscapes, including wide scenes, medium scenes (traffic, thousands of Chinese crossing a busy intersection in Shanghai, etc.) add tremendous interest to the film. All sorts of photographic techniques add to my armamentarium, such as astrophotography, Milky Ways, slow water exposures with 10 stop ND filters, etc.

In other words, I am trying to BROADEN my knowledge and use of many sorts of photographic media to create my own style of films.

Watch this example, including a Day-to-Night timelapse at the end. Includes many examples of the above, including drone footage, single shots, timelapse day awn timelapse day to night.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: Lens
Hi Barbara,
when it´s too windy of course ut is not advisable to do timelaps. Documenting a reonvation job looks good, I also did it some time ago!

I can´t tell nothing about Hyperlapse in Th M2Z because I own "only" the Mini2 ?

Ah, you´r from Munich? Beautiful Town! I am from Bern in Switzerland, also beatutiful ?
Thank you very much for the nice compliment about my english ??
If your German is worse you must be in Canada since a long time?
cheers Paul
My latest project is a sort of time lapse. Same picture(s) taken daily (when feasible) over a year, hopefully. We shall what comes of it.

Was only a year old when we came to Canada. German was spoken at home, mostly. But that was a long time ago.

We had planned to visit Europe, possibly this year, but certain "Things" have changed all that. Perhaps next year, once things have returned to some semblance of normal. Hope to visit many of those beautiful places, including Geilo in Norway, my moms home.

Stay safe, Barb

Jack43, your moon timelapse is amazing. I envy the celestial photographers, their equipment is expensive and they spend a lot of time in post. Cheers to icecoldgin for the cloud clip
glad you like "our" moon ? The equipment was tarther cheap! I have a Samyang Zoom 650 - 1300 mm I use it together with my Sony A 6300
here it is:

Reactions: Lens
Nice, that Moon is awesome. Your thread inspired me to post this, taken last week over the hill behind my house. Lots of unusual cloud formations above this hill and some are really strange. This one looked cool and I was trying to figure out what was causing it to remain in place with strong winds blowing from right to left. When played back even faster I noticed the rotation!
wow that cloud formation is really amazing Paleo, looks fantastic!
Glad you liked my moon too, thanks ?
cheers Paul

My latest project is a sort of time lapse. Same picture(s) taken daily (when feasible) over a year, hopefully. We shall what comes of it.

Was only a year old when we came to Canada. German was spoken at home, mostly. But that was a long time ago.

We had planned to visit Europe, possibly this year, but certain "Things" have changed all that. Perhaps next year, once things have returned to some semblance of normal. Hope to visit many of those beautiful places, including Geilo in Norway, my moms home.
oh that sound very interesting! A one-year-timelaps! Looking forward to see it! Then you are in Canada almost your entire live, what a wonderful country. I went there 5 times New Brunswick, Vancouver to Toronto with the "Canadian" outstanding trip, then I went over to Ontario, Huntsville and Niagara falls and Bradford. It´s amazin and I enjoedy it very much!
Unfortunately certain "things" are bad for travellers. Hopefully it will disappear on day not too late ?? NOrwy is another magnificent country..Finger crossed that you will be able to do the Europe trip Barbara ?
cheers Paul

Hi Paul:
I like your new Avatar.

As you probably know, I am a timelapse afficionado! It is a fantastic medium to use as part of a film. I am in the school of multi-media, which, in essence means, I am using every sort of medium to create my films. So timelapse sequences are just another tool in my toolkit. If you have seen my work, you will have taken note of my use of at least 5 or 6 different sources, including static timelapse (e.g.: using a tripod to record the timelapse), motion timelapse (e.g.: using a very complex. three axis motion slider to capture a timelapse in a horizontal, vertical, and rotational axis simultaneously), and then, single images from my DSLR, video from my Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket, and Osmo Gimble), and finally, video from my Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. You can refer to examples on my Vimeo site. Dale Davis,M.D.
I would argue that cityscapes, including wide scenes, medium scenes (traffic, thousands of Chinese crossing a busy intersection in Shanghai, etc.) add tremendous interest to the film. All sorts of photographic techniques add to my armamentarium, such as astrophotography, Milky Ways, slow water exposures with 10 stop ND filters, etc.

In other words, I am trying to BROADEN my knowledge and use of many sorts of photographic media to create my own style of films.

Watch this example, including a Day-to-Night timelapse at the end. Includes many examples of the above, including drone footage, single shots, timelapse day awn timelapse day to night.
Hi Dale,
glad you like my new Avatar, it´s me in 10 years ? And of course I know your timelapes you did in the past because I saw all your videos! Some are wonderful and with some I have a liitle problem...
Yes you know, with fast movin trees for example ? Some likes cityscape timelapse, as for myself it´s not really my cup of tea, I would say to each his own ? First of all it´s you which has to enjoy your way to make videos. That is ok for me, of course ?
cheers and have a nice day!
Paul

Last edited:
Depending on one’s location, the inherent variability of the gps location causes some parallax jitter which may be objectionable in certain shots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580