DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for filming around 10 - 11 a.m. in California?

chrisgangai

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Quick question. I'm filming a remodeled elementary school this coming Saturday, and because I have to drive almost three hours, I won't get to the location till about 10 am. By the time I get up in the air and running, it should be around 10:30 am. Is this the wrong time to film a video? I have to leave by 1 pm, so I can't stay for the golden hour.

Any tips if I should use Auto settings on my MA2? Use an ND Filter that came with my drone, etc.?

Thanks for your tips; I appreciate the help!

CG47

Find or create some shade to shoot from, where you still have clear line of sight, and find an elevated location to fly from. You don't mention the purpose of the shoot, nor the intended audience, so it's hard to provide any other tips. Auto should be fine with exposure adjustment as necessary.

Try and keep the sun behind you for better lighting / less flare etc (this helps with viewing your display screen better too, nice big shady hat).

If you are shooting video and have ND filters, say a normal sunny day, maybe throw an ND16 or ND32 on and it will help get shutter about right to frame rate (I'm assuming you know the general rule there).
Hard to judge the sun you might encounter there, probably that time of day the ND32 might be closer to what's needed, but if cloudy the ND16 should be fine.
I would use manual settings and see how that looks with those, the shutter at roughly double the frame rate number (eg fps 25, shutter 1/50k . . . fps 30, shutter 1/60k).
You really only have to get it approx to avoid the issues that can come with faster shutter speed, so don't sweat that too much.
Flying higher, slower can also help there.

If taking photos, just run with no filter, or a plain MC-UV filter.

Try and keep the sun behind you for better lighting / less flare etc (this helps with viewing your display screen better too, nice big shady hat).

If you are shooting video and have ND filters, say a normal sunny day, maybe throw an ND16 or ND32 on and it will help get shutter about right to frame rate (I'm assuming you know the general rule there).
Hard to judge the sun you might encounter there, probably that time of day the ND32 might be closer to what's needed, but if cloudy the ND16 should be fine.
I would use manual settings and see how that looks with those, the shutter at roughly double the frame rate number (eg fps 25, shutter 1/50k . . . fps 30, shutter 1/60k).
You really only have to get it approx to avoid the issues that can come with faster shutter speed, so don't sweat that too much.
Flying higher, slower can also help there.

If taking photos, just run with no filter, or a plain MC-UV filter.
Concur with everything said here. Esp about keeping sun behind the drone and not facing into the camera.

Hey everyone,

Quick question. I'm filming a remodeled elementary school this coming Saturday, and because I have to drive almost three hours, I won't get to the location till about 10 am. By the time I get up in the air and running, it should be around 10:30 am. Is this the wrong time to film a video? I have to leave by 1 pm, so I can't stay for the golden hour.

Any tips if I should use Auto settings on my MA2? Use an ND Filter that came with my drone, etc.?

Thanks for your tips; I appreciate the help!

CG47
I live in Southern Cal and always use the ND 32 filter on sunny days which is most of the time. 10 AM this time of year is good. Sun will be at a slight angle.

I live in Southern Cal and always use the ND 32 filter on sunny days which is most of the time. 10 AM this time of year is good. Sun will be at a slight angle.
But according to some "super photographers" here - an ND filter is not required and actually hampers videos / picture taking by cutting 75% of incoming light.

I leave my ND16 that came with my FlyMore Kit on all the time and have ZERO ISSUES with it. But, I don't know anything about photography according to some - even though been doing it for 40+ years along with many classes on the subject. Yet, WHAT DO I KNOW?

But according to some "super photographers" here - an ND filter is not required and actually hampers videos / picture taking by cutting 75% of incoming light.

I leave my ND16 that came with my FlyMore Kit on all the time and have ZERO ISSUES with it. But, I don't know anything about photography according to some - even though been doing it for 40+ years along with many classes on the subject. Yet, WHAT DO I KNOW?
Shot with ND 32

Reactions: tlswift58
Shot with ND 32
I’ve had the same conversation with some on here. Like you, I’ve only been a professional photographer my entire working career……. And I too know nothing. ?

Find or create some shade to shoot from, where you still have clear line of sight, and find an elevated location to fly from. You don't mention the purpose of the shoot, nor the intended audience, so it's hard to provide any other tips. Auto should be fine with exposure adjustment as necessary.
Did my reply come through?

The purpose of the shoot is showcase the newly remodeled campus to their current audience which is staff and students/families who currently attend. Also will be the main video on their website to show to new students or families interested in attending. To show how beautiful the campus is.

Does this help?

For video go with the ND16, the 64 is good for snow scenes with sun, white sand beaches in bright sun, etc.
Nice smooth footage, perspectives to get the vision required, and a bit of editing to suit, or leave that to the school.
They'll probably mix it in with ground shooting, so might not need more than a minute of good vision from the air.

I imagine you will talk to the school rep, or have already worked out what they'd like, have their rep kind of be the director with you to ensure you make the most of your time and get what they feel is needed.
Have fun too.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The purpose of the shoot is showcase the newly remodeled campus to their current audience which is staff and students/families who currently attend. Also will be the main video on their website to show to new students or families interested in attending. To show how beautiful the campus is.

Does this help?
Yes. Ignore all the advice about ND filters. You aren't looking for a cinematic effect with deliberate motion blur. You are merely documenting the remodeled campus. Sun will likely be predominantly overhead so direction of flight shouldn't be an issue. Find out what features of the remodel they most want you to emphasize in aerial shots, and make them happy. Shoot in 4K at 60fps in Auto for smoothest turns.

Not very much.
One wonders what other basic concepts you've never understood,
Your ND 16 filter cuts 94% of the available light, leaving you with only 6% to play with.
You are handicapping your photography quite seriously before you even click the shutter.
So when you say that you have no issues, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird