DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for night/low light shots?

Deckyon

Reactions
Well, until this weekend I wont be able to fly during the day. I want to attempt to get some night and low light shots with the Mavic. Does anyone have some settings and tips/tricks to getting some good shots in low light or at night?

I plan on using on Tripod mode for this, since the obstacle avoidance will be sketchy, at best, in low light settings. What else should I do or set up in order to get some good shots?

Well, until this weekend I wont be able to fly during the day. I want to attempt to get some night and low light shots with the Mavic. Does anyone have some settings and tips/tricks to getting some good shots in low light or at night?

I plan on using on Tripod mode for this, since the obstacle avoidance will be sketchy, at best, in low light settings. What else should I do or set up in order to get some good shots?
I would be curious to hear about the settings also. I plan on doing a video of my fireworks show next year. Not sure about the manual focusing tho, might use my P4 instead.

Sent from my SM-G920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: vdubbin1967
Can't fly at night here, besides being a rule breaker we have a bunch of little old ladies that think it is a UFO and call the cops, some guy flying in the park the other night got a visit and a citation from the Ranger.
That's a bummer. I am gonna get some of the strobe lights for mine to make it legal. We are out in the countey anyways plus we usually have a off duty officer that we invite that is a friend of ours. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Go to camera settings and change from Auto to Manual mode
You can now change the ISO (sensor light sensitivity) and exposure time (How long the "shutter" stays open) Play with those settings
Too high of an ISO and the image will be noisy, too hight of an exposure and the image gets blurry (you can create cool effects with light sources in motion)
Hope this helps...enjoy, and post some pictures afterwards ;)

Reactions: Slantnose79
With video - change it to the lowest frame rate, PAL 24fps.
The lower the framerate, the longer the shutter will stay open.
Use Auto, cloud. Don't let ISO exceed 200 as it will be very grainy.

Another method is to record in 4K. Then downsample to 1080p. This will minimise artefacts. Think of this - Have you ever noticed how clear a youtube video is when its running in window mode and when you expand to full screen, you can see how pixelated it is??

Reactions: SkyHigh Pryo

Another method is to record in 4K. Then downsample to 1080p. This will minimise artefacts. Think of this - Have you ever noticed how clear a youtube video is when its running in window mode and when you expand to full screen, you can see how pixelated it is??
I have noticed that. Will have to try those settings out. [emoji106] Thanks for the help!! The Gopro cameras do a great job, but the drone settings differ this helps out allot!

SkyHigh Pyro Eye flying above

I am looking more for photographs than video. I will get out and get some tests.

I take many night shot or sunset videos with both my phantom 4 and now the magic pro drones.
So for photos use manual mode and set iso to 100 for minimum noise.
then set speed to 4-6 secs depending how dark the sky is.
This picture have any editing effects on it? Looks very cool!

Thank you, very helpful!

Can't fly at night here, besides being a rule breaker we have a bunch of little old ladies that think it is a UFO and call the cops, some guy flying in the park the other night got a visit and a citation from the Ranger.

So I assume he got a ticket for being in the park at night and the drone had nothing to do with it?

Hobbyist flyers can fly at night provided their drones meet the AMA guidelines for lights. I'm pretty sure our Mavics would pass muster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty