DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

to FPV or not?

motopokep

Reactions
I'm considering picking up the DJI FPV combo, I'm referring to the racing drone that has the 3-blade propeller, to avoid confusing with flying a Mavic with FPV goggles. I've been flying a Mavic Pro for years and really enjoy the DJI goggles. I'm debating whether I really need the FPV racing drone, as my Mavic Pro is already modded to go 55 mph and much faster ascends and descends. I already fly with DJI goggles. I understand the racing drone is a whole new level, with much faster speeds, maneuverability, stunts. I don't see myself dedicating so much time to it that I'll get anywhere near pro FPV pilot level, but still I think I would like the stealth speed. Those of you who have it, do you find yourselves flying FPV (or more correctly - racing) drone than the Mavic? I was never much into cinematic filming anyway, but more into testing the Mavic's capabilities and different modes of flying.

I'm considering picking up the DJI FPV combo, I'm referring to the racing drone that has the 3-blade propeller, to avoid confusing with flying a Mavic with FPV goggles. I've been flying a Mavic Pro for years and really enjoy the DJI goggles. I'm debating whether I really need the FPV racing drone, as my Mavic Pro is already modded to go 55 mph and much faster ascends and descends. I already fly with DJI goggles. I understand the racing drone is a whole new level, with much faster speeds, maneuverability, stunts. I don't see myself dedicating so much time to it that I'll get anywhere near pro FPV pilot level, but still I think I would like the stealth speed. Those of you who have it, do you find yourselves flying FPV (or more correctly - racing) drone than the Mavic? I was never much into cinematic filming anyway, but more into testing the Mavic's capabilities and different modes of flying.
If you're interested in the DJI FPV, and you can afford it...get it!

I'd been flying Minis for a while, and I got the FPV a couple of weeks ago. It's a qualitatively different flying experience. I should mention that I'm still in Normal mode.

I literally feel like I'm riding the drone, and there flying it. But it flies like a Super Decathlon, not a C-172! It's so overpowered that I can do things and go places with it that I wouldn't have gone before, because of the certainty that I can power out of a situation that I most certainly couldn't with a Mini-2. Because of the power, I'm willing to get closer to stuff (rock formations on the other wall of the canyon, in my case) than I ever would with the Mini-2.

The view is literally 3D, or at least, my mind sees it that way.

The responsiveness is just awesome!

And, I have a question: Which DJI aircraft can be flown with the DJI Goggles?

Go get your FPV...life is uncertain; eat dessert first!

1652020773731.png

For some reason I got an email notification of this, but it didn't show up in the thread. You said:

"great, thanks for the feedback. The FPV combo is sitting in my cart, just gotta press the check out button...about to do it, was wondering, what's the view like in the FPV goggles v2? is it up close and immersive like in virtual reality, or is it similar to the regular white DJI goggles, where it's like looking at a screen in a movie theater and you see a lot of black frame outside the screen?"

I've never used any VR goggles, so I can't comment on that comparison. The view in the FPV V2 goggles is definitely up close and immersive, which is exactly what I was looking for!

:)

Reactions: motopokep
I got it and is unreal. Had to dispose of it but not because I couldnt
fly it but for another reason. Tryed and did hook it up to my iPad
to do a screen recording but it doesn’t transfer the fly info to the pad. Never tryed in acro put did the speed mode and it will go 60mph. Got in my feild and made sure it was over my head and
went out and got it to 60 and raised the googles and let it go over my head about 4’ at 60 and promise you you don’t want it to hit you. It’s not light.
Got rid of it because I even sitting down I found myself when turning fast leaning and would fall off my seat like was using body English if that makes sense. Some have no issues standing and flying it but I got tired of falling over 😀
If I was younger and bounced when I hit the ground like I did when younger I would fly it more than my others but no I hit now like like a wet biscuit hitting the floor 🥴 If money not a issue I would definitely recommend it if you like to fly.

Reactions: TTP and motopokep
For some reason I got an email notification of this, but it didn't show up in the thread. You said:

"great, thanks for the feedback. The FPV combo is sitting in my cart, just gotta press the check out button...about to do it, was wondering, what's the view like in the FPV goggles v2? is it up close and immersive like in virtual reality, or is it similar to the regular white DJI goggles, where it's like looking at a screen in a movie theater and you see a lot of black frame outside the screen?"

I've never used any VR goggles, so I can't comment on that comparison. The view in the FPV V2 goggles is definitely up close and immersive, which is exactly what I was looking for!

:)
I deleted this post here because I then saw you already replied in the other thread, thanks!

I got it and is unreal. Had to dispose of it but not because I couldnt
fly it but for another reason. Tryed and did hook it up to my iPad
to do a screen recording but it doesn’t transfer the fly info to the pad. Never tryed in acro put did the speed mode and it will go 60mph. Got in my feild and made sure it was over my head and
went out and got it to 60 and raised the googles and let it go over my head about 4’ at 60 and promise you you don’t want it to hit you. It’s not light.
Got rid of it because I even sitting down I found myself when turning fast leaning and would fall off my seat like was using body English if that makes sense. Some have no issues standing and flying it but I got tired of falling over 😀
If I was younger and bounced when I hit the ground like I did when younger I would fly it more than my others but no I hit now like like a wet biscuit hitting the floor 🥴 If money not a issue I would definitely recommend it if you like to fly.
It would never occur to me to try to fly standing up...why turn fun into work?

;-)

I haven't fallen off the chair when flying my FPV...yet...

:cool:

It would never occur to me to try to fly standing up...why turn fun into work?

;-)

I haven't fallen off the chair when flying my FPV...yet...

:cool:
I have 🥴

Well, I'm still flying in Normal Mode. Maybe when I get to Manual Mode, I'll start falling over too...

;-)
Not just Manuel mode but speed.

I now have the DJI FPV drone. just picked it up tonight at Best Buy, it's almost charged up. Gonna watch a bunch of tutorials before I even turn it on. This thing is heavy as (Mod Removed Language)compared to the Mavic Pro. What's the name for this drone anyway, there's gotta be a name for it, not just "DJI FPV". It looks slick, like a Lambo of drones. The goggles don't fit my wide face, gonna get a black rubber nose piece that's I'm gonna glue to it, like I had to do with DJI goggles and Occulus. Gonna see how I can connect the Occulus Quest 2 to it for a bigger view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Korrd
If you're interested in the DJI FPV, and you can afford it...get it!

I'd been flying Minis for a while, and I got the FPV a couple of weeks ago. It's a qualitatively different flying experience. I should mention that I'm still in Normal mode.

I literally feel like I'm riding the drone, and there flying it. But it flies like a Super Decathlon, not a C-172! It's so overpowered that I can do things and go places with it that I wouldn't have gone before, because of the certainty that I can power out of a situation that I most certainly couldn't with a Mini-2. Because of the power, I'm willing to get closer to stuff (rock formations on the other wall of the canyon, in my case) than I ever would with the Mini-2.

The view is literally 3D, or at least, my mind sees it that way.

The responsiveness is just awesome!

And, I have a question: Which DJI aircraft can be flown with the DJI Goggles?

Go get your FPV...life is uncertain; eat dessert first!

View attachment 147921
Hi.....your reply about those DJI FPV googles is interesting. Is there any DJI Web locations that explains about these DJI FPV equipment, I have no clue as what is required to use them. Can you use the DJI FPV on the MAVIC Air 2 and the Mini 2? I would assume that certain DJI Software would be needed on the Drone Controller to allow it to work in FPV mode. I'll look at the DJI Web site and see what they have for FPV drone Info.
Any feedback or replies would be very helpful in my Search....Thank you....Ron

Hi.....your reply about those DJI FPV googles is interesting. Is there any DJI Web locations that explains about these DJI FPV equipment, I have no clue as what is required to use them. Can you use the DJI FPV on the MAVIC Air 2 and the Mini 2? I would assume that certain DJI Software would be needed on the Drone Controller to allow it to work in FPV mode. I'll look at the DJI Web site and see what they have for FPV drone Info.
Any feedback or replies would be very helpful in my Search....Thank you....Ron
I would very much like to use the DJI FPV goggles with my Minis, but I don't think there's a way to do that, at least not yet.

I'm still looking for any immersive FPV goggle experience that I can use with the Minis. I don't think having "box goggles" that just hold the phone in a box 5 inches from my head would work well, but I haven't tried it.

What I really want is some way to send the video signal from the Minis to a separate set of goggles, with their own real video lenses. I'd assume that I'd have to still use the phone to run DJI Fly, so these mythical generic FPV goggles would have to be in addition to, rather than instead of, the phone. I'm looking for something that integrates at least somewhat simply, and doesn't look like some Rube Goldberg device.

Sadly, I don't think this option exists.

I would very much like to use the DJI FPV goggles with my Minis, but I don't think there's a way to do that, at least not yet.

I'm still looking for any immersive FPV goggle experience that I can use with the Minis. I don't think having "box goggles" that just hold the phone in a box 5 inches from my head would work well, but I haven't tried it.

What I really want is some way to send the video signal from the Minis to a separate set of goggles, with their own real video lenses. I'd assume that I'd have to still use the phone to run DJI Fly, so these mythical generic FPV goggles would have to be in addition to, rather than instead of, the phone. I'm looking for something that integrates at least somewhat simply, and doesn't look like some Rube Goldberg device.

Sadly, I don't think this option exists.
It does.

You need a Screen Mirroring dongle, and a set of goggles that have an HDMI input, and a phone capable of screen mirroring.

It's then as simple as sharing your phone screen with the dongle over Wifi Direct.

Dongle: SmartSee Anycast HDMI Wireless Display Adapter WiFi 1080P Mobile Screen Mirroring Receiver Dongle for iPhone Mac iOS Android to TV Projector Support Miracast Airplay DLNA https://a.co/d/4Hyvddw

The dongle is cheap... Goggles are not 😁

Last edited:
It does.

You need a Screen Mirroring dongle, and a set of goggles that have an HDMI input, and a phone capable of screen mirroring.

It's then as simple as sharing your phone screen with the dongle over Wifi Direct.

Dongle: SmartSee Anycast HDMI Wireless Display Adapter WiFi 1080P Mobile Screen Mirroring Receiver Dongle for iPhone Mac iOS Android to TV Projector Support Miracast Airplay DLNA https://a.co/d/4Hyvddw

The dongle is cheap... Goggles are not 😁
I've tried screen mirroring before. Sometimes it's worked well, and sometimes it hasn't.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20 Note.

If you would have any interest in putting together a parts list for this for Android users, including 3rd party SW if needed, it would be a huge service to all of the Mini pilots who would like the FPV experience.

If you do that, and I can afford it, I'll get the kit you describe, and write up the detailed process for interfacing the components, and making it work. After I do it.

Thx!

I'm not going to spec a setup I haven't tested, and don't have an interest in flying my mini 3 pro with goggles, so you're on your own.

However, FWIW screen mirroring has improved a lot in the last decade, and I find it quite reliable. I saw a setup as I described, in flight, working flawlessly earlier this summer.

If you're looking for a guarantee or someone else to take financial risk and test, then I guess the answer is you're right, no solution exists.

I'm not going to spec a setup I haven't tested, and don't have an interest in flying my mini 3 pro with goggles, so you're on your own.

However, FWIW screen mirroring has improved a lot in the last decade, and I find it quite reliable. I saw a setup as I described, in flight, working flawlessly earlier this summer.

If you're looking for a guarantee or someone else to take financial risk and test, then I guess the answer is you're right, no solution exists.
Assuming I can afford it, I'm willing to take the financial risk and do the test. I just don't want to do the research to identify the necessary kit.

And, of course, since I'll buy as much of the kit as I can from Amazon, the actual financial risk will be quite low.

Thx.

The Ayn Odin Lite works great to run DJI Fly and send video to the "non-FPV" DJI Goggles.

Transmitted image quality is a little lackluster on the minis when you're used to the FPV though.

IMG_20220712_134403.jpg

The Ayn Odin Lite appears to be a controller, not goggles. How would I use this to get FPV (even if lame FPV) with the Mini-1, Mini-SE?

Thanks!

It's an android device, but one that has an HDMI output that can be connected to goggles that have an HDMI in like DJI Goggles / DJI Goggles RE and others and can thus mirror the app into them without the lag that other solutions like wireless screen sharing introduce.

It's an android device, but one that has an HDMI output that can be connected to goggles that have an HDMI in like DJI Goggles / DJI Goggles RE and others and can thus mirror the app into them without the lag that other solutions like wireless screen sharing introduce.
Almost 4 grand...not an option!

I'm looking for something that will work with an Android device that has a USB-C output.

Basically, if an Android device will run DJI Fly, I'm looking for a solution that will work with that device. And I agree that the lag involved with wireless screen sharing is a decidedly inferior solution.

Thx.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato