DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To light or not to light (In the UK)? And some protection?

mADsAILOR

Reactions
Hi all,

pardon any possible duplication, forum search didn't (immediately) yield any specific answers.
I'm a very new pilot, fortunate enough to start on a Mini 2 and loving it as I learn.

I've read (but not tested) the actual weight is 242 grams so any payload up to 7grams will keep the Mini 2 below the 250g threshold.

Where I live, daytime visibility is generally bad (more so this time of year) and with "line of sight" requirements, toying with the idea of getting some lights for my Mini 2 (have visually lost it a few times already). Some research has yielded that the Arc "V" by Firehouse Tech is a favourite and only 4g (but US based, so not sure on delivery times/prices).

My question is: do Mini 2 owners generally add lights (those in the UK at least) for daytime flights, what other implications are observed in flight/stability (payload mode of course) and what other hardware options do people use?

The same would go for weatherproofing: I've seen the Phantom Rain products which look great, but nervous about flying in mist (lest alone rain) with open prop motors and presumably the gimbal motors are still exposed? I also assume weight would exceed 3g for any such solution?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Firstly I am not sure the sub 250g bit has much significance for the Mini 2 any more.
It is not a toy and it has a camera so according to sec 3 of Getting what you need to fly | UK Civil Aviation Authority
you need an "operator ID".

Secondly be wary of imports and any duty and duty collection fees that will be incurred, you will need to look into that yourself.
You should also browse the recent threads concerning duty on repaired drones sent from Holland, curtesy of brexit.
With regards to weather protection, I have flown my "as standard" mini in light rain and once ( I think) in real rain when it and I got caught in a shower, the drone was fine though I was able to stick a vacuum cleaner over the tops of the motors with in seconds, the phone wasn't.
Bearing in mind that the drone will most likely be moving horizontally in flight I don't see how any protection will stop all rain etc. getting in somewhere unless it is lovered and remember, there is a blooming big hole at the front where the camera and gimbal sit.
If you are that worried about it getting damp or slightly wet then the best protection is, do not fly it in those conditions in the first place.
Re caps on motors, I can see advanatges but they are added weight and I would worry about blocking ventilation through the motors. If you do go for caps ENSURE they are for the mini 2, they are not interchangable with the ones from the Mavic Mini, the blades screws have a different pitch and apparently different shoulders.
I have had strobon strobe on the battery door of my mini and it does help a bit in daylight but not enough to add 100's of m to your VLOS, it is no longer attached. Would an Arc v etc. do more, I don't know but I wasn't and am, not prepared to gamble £40 odd on a gamble, especially when accompanied by the risk of duty and fees. I think the 'old' threshold was somewhere around £38 but that could be "up a gum tree" and all bets are out the window following brexit.

Reactions: mADsAILOR
adding lights to the mini is really not going to help with VLOS to any great extent mainly because of its size and the fact that adding any weight will reduce the flight time,and as far as flying in wet weather ie rain or misty conditions ,it wont harm the motors but could affect the internal electronics if water got inside ,and even short out the battery

I’d avoid the Phantom Rain stuff purely because the manual states don’t fly in fog, rain, snow etc - so the warranty and/or Refresh claim would likely be ignored. As for lights, it’s hard to find anything that won’t take you over the limit. With any drone it’s difficult to maintain VLOS, but in my view a good shot doesn’t mean you need to be a good distance from your equipment.

I am also in the UK, am a new pilot and very often visually lose my Mini 2. Tonight I came across the idea of skinning it with something bright, rather than lighting it up. Have a look here and I hope it helps you.

As for wet or foggy weather, I just don't fly in it!

Cheers :)

Thanks all for the responses. Kinda confirms my intuitive starting point of leaving it as it came from the factory, avoid wet days and train to fly "properly" in FPV (i.e. looking at the screen rather than the drone), having a spotter with me to keep an eye on the drone.

Seen the skins Nick, thanks, that's another good way forward, in fact just one for the "belly" might do it, so it can be seen better from below - link is also US though so will have to either source locally or get the pattern somewhere and DIY it.

Last edited:
I bought this light from AliExpres, it’s 7g so keeps the Mini below 249g. I flew it out 1km in a daylight test and was still able to see the drones position (I wouldn’t normally fly that far, but I had to fly the drone backwards in order to maintain visual contact On its return).

It depends on whether you just want to comply with the VLOS law requirement or you really want to be able to control the drone without looking at the screen of the phone. If it is the former, the amount of lightings required will depends on the judgement of the authority. If it's the latter, don't bother. You should be able to fly the drone from takeoff to landing without taking a single peep at it.

I'm also based in the UK and we've got a Mini 2, having previously been used to the larger P4P+.

The answer to your question about lights and rain protection is simply "no" and "no". We fly only for professional work. DJI have already done a great job. Often, "less is more".

You're correct in being pleased about the drone being below the 250g threshold which has many advantages in the UK - even if you still need to register and annually pay for the ID registration (which you should definitely do because Mr Plod likes easy pickings to boost their conviction/fine rates so as to tick those official boxes).

Mental concentration is like "How long is a piece of string?". It can be massively improved, or completely ignored if you choose to be psychologically lazy or sloppy. Two days ago, I had six team members - all well above average people off differing age groups - standing next to me as I did another flight (as part of our exhaustive testing). And it was a bright sunny winter's day, so good visibility. Experience at following a drone in flight, or lack of it, was a major factor in who kept it in sight the best. But those with great concentration did noticeably better than those others with just very good concentration. Our work is highly demanding, so we expect an outstanding psychological attitude in everyone (after appropriate training) - and it really pays off. So you can learn or push yourself to get much, much better.

As a youngster, many decades ago, I loved the music of Stevie Wonder. Then, already knowing he played almost every musical instrument under the sun I was shocked to learn that he'd been blind from birth. Shortly afterwards, I heard a journalist ask him "How do you feel about being blind?" Stevie answered: "The people I feel sorry for are those who've got eyesight yet still can't see."

It depends on whether you just want to comply with the VLOS law requirement or you really want to be able to control the drone without looking at the screen of the phone. If it is the former, the amount of lightings required will depends on the judgement of the authority. If it's the latter, don't bother. You should be able to fly the drone from takeoff to landing without taking a single peep at it.
"...able to fly the drone from takeoff to landing without taking a single peep at it"
Thanks, indeed that's what I'm aiming for.

Re the usage, it's more for me/spotter to be able to see rather than strictly VLOS compliance I was considering it...

I use these for my mini2 STROBON Cree® Standalone
Not flown at night yet but they are very bright the light is tiny about half the size of a postage stamp
In daytime flying I can see my drone from about 1/2 a mile not sure if it takes the mini2 above the 250g in my case I have pilot ID anyway
My concern with weight is more on flight performance TBH, rather than regulatory limitation: not sure the Mini 2 (even in payload mode) was built for much more weight than that of it's own + prop guards...

I'm also based in the UK and we've got a Mini 2, having previously been used to the larger P4P+.

The answer to your question about lights and rain protection is simply "no" and "no". We fly only for professional work. DJI have already done a great job. Often, "less is more".

You're correct in being pleased about the drone being below the 250g threshold which has many advantages in the UK - even if you still need to register and annually pay for the ID registration (which you should definitely do because Mr Plod likes easy pickings to boost their conviction/fine rates so as to tick those official boxes).

Mental concentration is like "How long is a piece of string?". It can be massively improved, or completely ignored if you choose to be psychologically lazy or sloppy. Two days ago, I had six team members - all well above average people off differing age groups - standing next to me as I did another flight (as part of our exhaustive testing). And it was a bright sunny winter's day, so good visibility. Experience at following a drone in flight, or lack of it, was a major factor in who kept it in sight the best. But those with great concentration did noticeably better than those others with just very good concentration. Our work is highly demanding, so we expect an outstanding psychological attitude in everyone (after appropriate training) - and it really pays off. So you can learn or push yourself to get much, much better.

As a youngster, many decades ago, I loved the music of Stevie Wonder. Then, already knowing he played almost every musical instrument under the sun I was shocked to learn that he'd been blind from birth. Shortly afterwards, I heard a journalist ask him "How do you feel about being blind?" Stevie answered: "The people I feel sorry for are those who've got eyesight yet still can't see."
Wise words!

Interesting to hear you mention a "spotter". If you can work with a trusted spotter - as I do almost always - it's fantastic. They can do their job and you can fly/film, focusing on looking/getting the best compositions. I can't sing the praises of having a spotter enough - and I know that (at least) one highly experienced moderator thinks the same. I also appreciate that, for many, this isn't a practical option. But if it is.....

My concern with weight is more on flight performance TBH, rather than regulatory limitation: not sure the Mini 2 (even in payload mode) was built for much more weight than that of it's own + prop guards...

The Strobon Cree is 4g per light.
I have them and they’re very very bright. Use 3M hook and loop to attach them to my mini 2. One above one below. Adds prob 10g with the sticky pads.

Have you noticed any flight performance changes?

Got to be honest- I bought the mini 2 and then we went into the national lockdown so I’ve not had a chance to test properly.

I can’t see a light the size of a postage stamp unduly affecting performance though.

I'm also a UK based MM2 owner.
I've got a strobe (a no brand one off ebay) which keeps me just under 250g (important in the UK as it lets you fly in the A1 category).

I've only done a couple of flights ( lockdown :-( ) but it did really help with visibility and I didn't notice any battery or performance effects.

Without it I often found the mini hard to refind when only a few 100m away.
Personally I'd recommend a strobe.

Of course, a spotter and superb powers of concentration are both wonderful assets!
But if you're not blessed with either, a strobe is handy too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada