DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To @mp or not to @mp the right side?

The Bob

Reactions
Fantastic signal with just the one side lit. Not enough battery in a flight to outrun it. Would it even help or benefit to light the right side up? other than for looks?

Reactions: Texas Mavic
I can tell you from experience that there is a absolutely a shorter range when the diversity antenna is not **** near square with the left antenna. It’s 100% true the the right side diversity side doesn’t have to be amplified. Although it very well can be, but doesn’t make a difference when it is.

So what you are telling me is that I can. but it makes no diff? lol

Im going to do some more tests this weekend up near Glacier national park on this one, again. I think one of my old amps is giving up on me. Great time when tools in the truck are at a minimum. I did have a spare amp under the back seat though. Don't even remember buying it. I will use a 3s to power each amp separately.

Jeff

So far I am really liking this Turbowing amp... very light weight aluminum shell (weight: 0.058Kg); it is so light that I really do not need supports as long as I am not careless moving it around. I can also pop it on and off fairly easily... so only need to use it in highly congested areas. Perhaps the 2nd amp will help more within the residential interference areas? I will test more in the following weeks.

Last edited:
I did some more searching and found this in another thread.... so perhaps answer enough.

I sent an email to James Crutchfield at Titan Drones regarding the antennas on the Mavic Pro and the MP2. Here is his reply, less than 12 hours after I sent it yesterday afternoon!

"
The left antenna, if hooked to the “left” connector on the main board, transmits and receives data and video. The right antenna acts a type of diversity antenna for receiving video if it has a stronger connection to the AC. I have been able to use just one amp on the Mavic Pro and get the same results as two amps as long as the amp is used on the correct antenna. This is also the case for several other dji aircraft. With that being said the Mavic 2 appears to use both antennas for rx and tx and I’m still going through testing on that. It appears though the Mavic 2 has to utilize two amps to be effective if you use an amped system. More to come on that later.
Titan Drones Inc Customer Service P: 1-866-202-5624 E: [email protected]

So that settles the question (at least for the MP1) about the second antenna (on the right). It's a "diversity system" for video reception where stronger signal is detected on one antenna than the other. James and Titan are tops in my book!

Either way, the Alientech 2.4g Pro looks better than my diy job, even though they get roughly the same distance out. It's time to sell the diy controller and keep the Alientech.

Jeff

Attachments

• 20190406_175009.jpg
    20190406_175009.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 81
  • 20190406_175017.jpg
    20190406_175017.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 79
  • 20190406_175028.jpg
    20190406_175028.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 77
  • 20190406_175039.jpg
    20190406_175039.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 74
Also a gens ace Tattu 45c 2s lipo powered the single dragon amp no problem to the same temp as the 3s 1000.

Jeff

Attachments

• 20190406_175539.jpg
    20190406_175539.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 52
Reactions: The Bob
So here are some photos of my setup for testing... Using directional and omni's. Appears the right side is only used for diversity and if you watch the video in the link it shows the light activity for both sides... one side is solid (left) and the other is flickering (right). I have been simply testing for stability and verifying the setup before I go for any distance testing. So far so good. I know that I really do not need the 2nd amp on the right side, but for balance and looks I decided the 50 bucks was well spent. I have tested both with and without and honestly no difference in signal or performance. Video quality is flawless with or without the right side amp. I have even gone as far as removing the right antenna... no drama.

Last edited:
I flew 10,500 ft. from a highly congested wifi area. (residential / my back yard)
At a distance of 10,500 feet I disconnected the right side antenna and nothing happened.
Without the mod my distance limit from this location is roughly 5,600 ft. on average.

Does boosting just the left side antenna of the controller apply to the mavic air also?

So here are some photos of my setup for testing... Using directional and omni's. Appears the right side is only used for diversity and if you watch the video in the link it shows the light activity for both sides... one side is solid (left) and the other is flickering (right). I have been simply testing for stability and verifying the setup before I go for any distance testing. So far so good. I know that I really do not need the 2nd amp on the right side, but for balance and looks I decided the 50 bucks was well spent. I have tested both with and without and honestly no difference in signal or performance.
Video quality is flawless with or without the right side amp. I have even gone as far as removing the right antenna... no drama.

Hello sir, very nice set up you have there, could you tell me please what size batteries you are using to power the Turbowing boosters?
Many thanks

Does boosting just the left side antenna of the controller apply to the mavic air also?

I have never tested a Mavic Air or researched the Mavic Air Antenna mods.
I would say logically the wifi on the air would use both rx and tx and both sides would need to be boosted.

Hi and many thanks for the information. Information on boosting the mavic air does seem a little harder to find.

@The Bob one last question If I may please, does that mean the amps on both sides will be orientated in the same direction ie - in side controller and out side antenna? Many thanks

@The Bob one last question If I may please, does that mean the amps on both sides will be orientated in the same direction ie - in side controller and out side antenna? Many thanks
Correct.. the amps are also labeled so it makes it easy.
Also note that you should never power an amp without an antenna connected to it... you will overheat and most likely fry the amp.

HERE is also a quick search I did in the forums for Mavic Air mods. Seems to be quite a bit of info.

Correct.. the amps are also labeled so it makes it easy.
Also note that you should never power an amp without an antenna connected to it... you will overheat and most likely fry the amp.

HERE is also a quick search I did in the forums for Mavic Air mods. Seems to be quite a bit of info.

I have been brousing the forums for days trying to find information as getting the set up wrong could be disastrous...

Many thanks once again for your help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair