DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

to RC Pro or not to RC Pro

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions
Im picking up my mav 3 tomorrow morning.
At this stage I am still undecided about the RC Pro option. I had the smart controller when i was flying the mav 2 but ended up installing the larger Feelworld monitor onto it as i did not like the display size or placement, so the advantage of less setup time was not applicable. I now have a spare tripltek monitor, after buying the autel smart controller for the evo (DJI - this is how a smart controller should be done) and this would be a great companion for the standard mav 3 controller.
So, am i going to be missing anything great by not going the RC Pro? im reading there is a range advantage with the RC Pro, but other sources are contradicting this. And the RC Pro has a scroll wheel for zoom.
Im happy to spend the $ if there is value, but im struggling to convince myself.

If you have a spare Tripltek I would use that, I'm quite happy using it with the standard controller. Even if the pro has some additional features it' a lot of money to spend...
I too found some quotes about extended range but can't remember I found anything about it when I was thinking about buying the pro...

Just got RC Pro. Initial thoughts.

Excelent build quality.
Screen is smaller and a bit worse than my s21 ultra (not a surprise, Samsung is leader in OLED screens)
Range is slightly better but no wow effect (both remotes have FCC hack)
Sticks feel more.... premium I would say.
Extra buttons is an advantage but critical only for professional video filming
After one evening of flights cant say exactly is it worth to spend 1k on RC Pro or not.

Screen is too small for me on the RC Pro. I owned it for a few days but ultimately went back to the Tripltek/RC-N1 combo. I flew happily with the Tripltek 7" for a year and upgraded to the Tripltek 8" after getting a killer deal..... you really can't go wrong with either one. The screens are bright and makes framing shots so much easier.

The only real allure I had for the RC Pro was the convenience.... however I have my setup time down to about 20 seconds, even with having to put the tablet on my mount.

I fly with the standard controller and have had no range issue, but never fly out more than 2 miles since I cannot see the airspace any further than that in the places where I have flown. I never have lost connection, thanks to the robust Occusync.

I own the TripleTek 8 which gives me more display area and more brightness than the screen in the Pro, but it is pretty heavy. Even with a good mount and a lanyard it is a little top heavy. I expect that the Pro would be easier to handle.

Also, I prefer an LCD for high bright operation over the Pro’s emissive OLED since an LCD performs better in the sun. That is also why I haven’t upgraded from my iPhone XR.

Finally, I feel that it is more likely with the standard controller I will be able to run 3rd party apps like Litchi once the SDK is released and 3rd party developers can support the M3.

Reactions: DougMcC and F00Man
I love my RC Pro. I am only a hobbiest photographer but for me it was worth the premium cost over the basic RC-N1 controller. I love being able to customize all of the buttons to my liking and not have to tap on the screen to get to the functions I need. Range of the controller was never a factor for me as I always fly within VLOS as per the regulations here in Canada. I considered the Tripletek tablet, but although I would be gaining a larger slightly brighter display, I would be loosing out to convenience big time.

I also fly my drones in cold sub zero winter weather so attaching cables and an external tablet like the Tripletek quickly gets the hands cold and increases the precious time the drone battery is sitting out in the elements getting cold - something you likely don't have to contend with in Australia. For these reasons the RC Pro was a practical choice for me.

For you, since you already have the Smart Controller to compare to and have a Tripletek, it is not such a clear-cut decision. The biggest thing about the RC Pro as you probably already know is the convenience that it provides. If that is worth the premium price it commands to you, then it is worth it.

Chris

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The RC Pro is awesome but the price is a major factor. I use the RC Pro with my AIR 2S AND Mavic 3 and hopefully DJI will have a firmware update for the Mini 3 Pro so that I can use it with the Mini 3. I have had no issues with the RC Pro with either drone. The control sticks make for nice control of the drone. I highly recommend the RC Pro.

I love the Rc Pro it its like a suped up power version of the Smart Controller, it allows me to get the drone up within a minute of powering on, with no hassle of connecting phones and cables up, plus the pure range it allows is amazing, not forgetting the 60FPS full 1080 video feed is a joy to behold.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just got RC Pro. Initial thoughts.

Excelent build quality.
Screen is smaller and a bit worse than my s21 ultra (not a surprise, Samsung is leader in OLED screens)
Range is slightly better but no wow effect (both remotes have FCC hack)
Sticks feel more.... premium I would say.
Extra buttons is an advantage but critical only for professional video filming
After one evening of flights cant say exactly is it worth to spend 1k on RC Pro or not.
Which hack are you using for the RC Pro ?

Reactions: pommy
decided against the RC Pro. have just installed the Tripltek and waiting for batteries to charge now.

Im actually glad to be using the tripltek. it was too good a piece of hardware to be sitting on the shelf unused

Reactions: Gary R
decided against the RC Pro. have just installed the Tripltek and waiting for batteries to charge now.

Im actually glad to be using the tripltek. it was too good a piece of hardware to be sitting on the shelf unused
The venerable Tripltek only replaces the RC Pro screen. You still are going to be limited to using the $100 RC-N1 controller, with only one scroll wheel and one customizable button. The $1200 RC Pro has a C1, C2, and C3 button, and a 5 way button, in addition to a second scroll wheel, all of which are customizable to keep your hands on the sticks, instead of touching the screen. The RC Pro was specifically designed for the Mavic 3, but the entry price of $2200 wouldn't allow including it, so DJI included the same controller sold with the $400 Mini 2. It's like using a bar of soap to draw with! It works, but it isn't very precise or accurate. RC Pro also has 4x the power output of the RC-N1 for greater signal stability. You can even hook up your Feelworld monitor to it through the mini HDMI out port, for a duplicate clean screen without telemetry, or with, as you desire. If you want a really big screen, hook up a 75” TV to it! Can't do that with the RC-N1!

Precision and accuracy.. Are you suggesting the RC-N1 is not as accurate or precise?
Ive conducted range test this afternoon and i get more than ill need so this isnt an issue for me.
The extra coulple of buttons would be handy.

Im sure ill end up with the RC pro, but ill see how i go for a few weeks without it.

Precision and accuracy.. Are you suggesting the RC-N1 is not as accurate or precise?
Ive conducted range test this afternoon and i get more than ill need so this isnt an issue for me.
The extra coulple of buttons would be handy.

Im sure ill end up with the RC pro, but ill see how i go for a few weeks without it.
Correct. Much more precision control with the new sticks on the RC Pro, and not having to remove hands and fingers from the sticks while trying to perform precise maneuvers because of the button controls and the second scroll wheel for gimbal elevation while zooming with the other.

Signal strength you don't currently need will always come in handy for signal stability in unfavorable environments, even at close range.

Do try it without the RC Pro first, and then try it with it. You won't want to go back. No one has regretted it yet.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Arghhhh
After sleeping on it I’m on my way back to get an RC Pro. I like EV settings at my fingertips and the ability to move gimbal and zoom simultaneously

Arghhhh
After sleeping on it I’m on my way back to get an RC Pro. I like EV settings at my fingertips and the ability to move gimbal and zoom simultaneously
Indeed. Once 1x-28x zoom was added, the single scroll wheel on the RC-N1 is no longer adequate, as significant zooming always requires simultaneous reframing with the gimbal, and those two functions are mutually exclusive on the RC-N1, which was really originally designed for the likes of the much simpler $400 Mini 2.

If you don't love it, you can always return it! It can't be crashed or flown, so it is completely returnable.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada