DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To shoot in 4k or 1080, that is the question..

ItsMike

Reactions
I do not own a 4k TV or Monitor.. So, am I wrong for only shooting in 1080? P.S. I edit on my MBP 2012. i5 16gig ram.. It will render 4k, just takes time. When I shoot in 1080 it renders much faster..

Adobe Premier is cool btw.. Like it more than Final Cut..

Kinda depends on what you are planning on editing. Even if your output is 1080p, you could decide to capture some footage in 4K so you can digitally crop it to 1080p later on for a zoomed in effect or hiding visible propellers without having any loss of quality. Otherwise, if you have no intent on utilizing the higher resolution, I'd just stick to shooting in 1080p, or perhaps 2k if you want some editing freedom.

Most of the 1080 I've seen does not look good at all compared to higher resolutions, on any monitor. At least shoot in 2.7 if you can.

2.7K is kind of ideal. You have almost the same quality as 4K if you render it to 4K in post. Besides, you get the 2x lossless zoom which add to the framing possibilities and saves cropping in post.

2.7K is kind of ideal. You have almost the same quality as 4K if you render it to 4K in post. Besides, you get the 2x lossless zoom which add to the framing possibilities and saves cropping in post.

I see a lot mentioning about cropping the video, while I get it, just do not know how.. Still learning the ropes with Premier Pro.. :)

But, ill kick it up to 2.7k and see how my MAC does.

Every setting has it's use. 1080p gives more flexibility in frame rates, for fast action you would want 60 or 90 fps, so you can shoot with 1/120 or 1/180 of a second. You could also choose 2.7K. Gives a lot more detail than 1080p, plus you get the 2x lossless digital zoom and could choose full HD video caching. You can still crop 2x if you render to 1080p.
4K of course if you need the best result with most information to work with in post.

You could use them all together in the same time line. You can render 1080p or 2.7K up to 4K, or scale it all down to 1080p, your choice. Try out various scenarios, you make the rules.

Reactions: Lake_Flyer
What I said, 2.7K is sort of ideal. A lot of users say the results are even better than 4K. Personally I shoot default in 4K? Mostly because I mix it with other 4K footage from Inspire or Osmo. But if I know I want to be able to zoom I always set it to 2.7K. Being able to zoom gives you a lot more framing possibilities during the actual shoot and could help you to nail it just right.

I shoot in 4k almost all the time. Occasionally 2.7k.

For some reason 1080p on my mavic just looks like rubbish.

The MP butchers HD - quality is terrible.
4k the bit rate isnt great but its OK.

2.7k is generally accepted as the better quality and still leaves some room to crop and stabilise if needed for 1080 output.

These are some good points from different perspectives. I generally shoot in 2.7K, but it is generally based on the fact that the trade off of quality vs file size, and that I usually watch them on mobile devices.

Another thing that most people haven't touched on in this thread is regarding chroma subsampling. If your output is 1080p, you can capture at 4k (or 2.7) and record that extra color information natively, so that when it comes time to render your edit, you will have all that extra information in a 1080p timeline.

I do not own a 4k TV or Monitor.. So, am I wrong for only shooting in 1080? P.S. I edit on my MBP 2012. i5 16gig ram.. It will render 4k, just takes time. When I shoot in 1080 it renders much faster..
You can't be "wrong". You don't give enough information for anyone else to make a meaningful comment.

You say that you don't own a 4k TV. Are you the only one who watches your videos? Will you want to watch them in the future when everything is 4k and above? Do you ever or will you ever edit those videos and want to zoom in?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S