DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too many kooks ...

Avocet

Reactions
I"m in the process of adding a UAV to my stable and am considering a Mavic Air 2S or a Mavic 3. This is not a comparison thread folks. Regarding Litchi and newer Mavics, I've read the books of threads on here a few times over and there are quite a few semantic issues with them - muddying the swamp.

I am hearing that Litchi now behaves differently for some of the Mavic family, namely, no or partial onboard data storage of Litchi waypoint missions. A lot of griping about how earlier machines had enough storage or functional issues with waypoint continuation (with all instructions) after controller connectivity interruptions or terminations. Thus, enter real-time control via stick transmission data (literally fly by wire - virtual sticking). My Phantoms and Inspire always flew to the last waypoint and filmed what they were supposed to do the way they were supposed to do it when I lost connectivity to my app.

I KNOW as of this date, the Mavic 3 has not gotten the SDK updates needed to bring that bird into the Litchi lab's fold. But how about the best next step down, the Mavic Air 2S? Can it store metadata for speed, stick and gimbal control yet (non-virtual stick requirements)? I'm hearing the interface will allow the navigational properties of the mission to complete, but coded variables for speed, gimbal angles, gimbal heading, etc. will stop at the values of connection loss.

Then I read that a very recent update from Litchi has addressed these issues, but it is not clear to me which drones ...

Is there any light to shed on this? Like many, I would be a very unhappy camper should this virtual stick nonsense be the case. If so, I'll run out and buy FlightLogic AutoPilot or get back into oh I don't know, something else!

Then I read that a very recent update from Litchi has addressed these issues, but it is not clear to me which drones ...

Is there any light to shed on this? Like many, I would be a very unhappy camper should this virtual stick nonsense be the case. If so, I'll run out and buy FlightLogic AutoPilot or get back into oh I don't know, something else!
It seems that none of the drones using DJI Fly have the ability to run waypoint missions.
On top of that, DJI is in no hurry to produce an SDK for the Mavic 3 which would be necessary for Litchi etc to run on that drone.

Reactions: AZDave
I am hearing that Litchi now behaves differently for some of the Mavic family, namely, no or partial onboard data storage of Litchi waypoint missions. A lot of griping about how earlier machines had enough storage or functional issues with waypoint continuation (with all instructions) after controller connectivity interruptions or terminations. Thus, enter real-time control via stick transmission data (literally fly by wire - virtual sticking). My Phantoms and Inspire always flew to the last waypoint and filmed what they were supposed to do the way they were supposed to do it when I lost connectivity to my app.
Same with my recently retired Parrot Anafi. No worrying about interference mid-mission; no worry of antenna orientation; no worry of climbing on a picnic table and holding your hands in the air to try to deal with dropping coverage. OTOH, particularly since I modded the antenna, the range is easily 2x under stick control with the Mini 3 pro. I knew both things before I bought so apparently I was Ok with it. Seriously, the 47 (really 38) minute battery life trumps almost anything else.

But stick control will never get the perfect repeat a waypoint mission can.

BTW, you didn't mention it but you might take a careful look at the Mini 3 Pro image quality. After lots of consideration, I went Mini 3 Pro even though it ended up costing more than the Air 2s Fly More refurb I had planned to get.

I"m in the process of adding a UAV to my stable and am considering a Mavic Air 2S or a Mavic 3. This is not a comparison thread folks. Regarding Litchi and newer Mavics, I've read the books of threads on here a few times over and there are quite a few semantic issues with them - muddying the swamp.

I KNOW as of this date, the Mavic 3 has not gotten the SDK updates needed to bring that bird into the Litchi lab's fold. But how about the best next step down, the Mavic Air 2S? Can it store metadata for speed, stick and gimbal control yet (non-virtual stick requirements)? I'm hearing the interface will allow the navigational properties of the mission to complete, but coded variables for speed, gimbal angles, gimbal heading, etc. will stop at the values of connection loss.

There are lots of threads here explaining why the Air 2S does not, and never will, have autonomous flight missions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas