DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Torn Between Marco Polo & Trackimo

MrMavic

Reactions
I know this has been discussed here before, but my situation is a little different. I live in the mountains of Western Montana with rugged terrain and crappy phone service. With that in mind ...

Marco Polo:
The Marco Polo is attractive because of no need for Phone service. That is all good, but then I have the limited line of sight that the Marco Polo is dependent on. I have heard that without line of sight it only works up to 300 yards if you're lucky.
The $220.00 price tag is a drawback, but then there are no monthly fees.

Trackimo:
This locator works with phone service and GPS, but the phone service here is very spotty. The towers here are situated to serve the highway areas, and then it is still very limited in my area.
You get 1 year free service with the Trackimo, then $5.00 per month after the 1st year.

I have been pondering this for a couple of months, and still undecided. Anyone in the mountains with crappy phone service who wants to comment, I'm all ears.

Reactions: Jimmie Hanson
I am leaning toward Marco Polo as I will fly in foothills of mountains. Line of site more than likely because I do not plan to go down narrow canyons and gorges. I think we need something and so Marco Polo may be it. I like the way its set up. For what my opinion is worth, Nifty device. If I lose my drone I will know about where it is.. The MP gets me right to it.

I agree with Jimmie. And the 300-yard limit is way off. I've seen a signal at 1 1/2 miles.

I'm in Idaho, fly sometimes in MT, I use the Marco Polo, the battery lasts a long time, so even if you crashed into a hole, like surrounded by cliffs, you'd eventually get in a position to ping it.

The other thing, I had another multi-rotor that I crashed in really dense woods, lead me right to it, but I couldn't find it or see it anywhere, I started pointing the base unit upwards, and narrowed it down to the branch, did some climbing and found it.

I know this has been discussed here before, but my situation is a little different. I live in the mountains of Western Montana with rugged terrain and crappy phone service. With that in mind ...

Marco Polo:
The Marco Polo is attractive because of no need for Phone service. That is all good, but then I have the limited line of sight that the Marco Polo is dependent on. I have heard that without line of sight it only works up to 300 yards if you're lucky.
The $220.00 price tag is a drawback, but then there are no monthly fees.

Trackimo:
This locator works with phone service and GPS, but the phone service here is very spotty. The towers here are situated to serve the highway areas, and then it is still very limited in my area.
You get 1 year free service with the Trackimo, then $5.00 per month after the 1st year.

I have been pondering this for a couple of months, and still undecided. Anyone in the mountains with crappy phone service who wants to comment, I'm all ears.
I live in the North Country and regular phone service is absolutely crap. However, this thing is not bound to a single service but appears to use any tower available. I've noticed US Cellular towers tend to exist where most others don't, so surprisingly my Trackimo is working flawlessly even in areas my own cell service drops out.

Reactions: MrMavic
I am going to buy a Marco Polo. Heck this is the first day I have even thought of back up for my mavic. My wife is just beginning to drive (for the first time in her life) and I found a nifty device to put in her car so I know where she is and to know her location at all times. No I am not the jealous type. Just the times we live in and she is new to driving and the USA (3 years) . The device is a Vyncs. Around $75 bucks but dont think is would work for my Mavic. I just need reassurance that I can find the mavic after hearing about all these flyaways.
Vyncs No Monthly Fee Connected Car OBD Link, 3G Car GPS Tracker, Trips, Engine Diagnostics, Driver Coaching for Teens, Optional Roadside Assistance

I really hate paying $219.00 so if anyone finds it cheaper let me know. The goggles are going to cost $499. my best guess so this whole package is running up to 2k when its all over.. Ahhh the price of adventure and fun.

jajaja You have to read another thread on price of DJI goggles......jajaja Hiking in Nepal a Shaman told me after we drank tea,,,,,,jajaja His best guess I think.

My wish list price. I don't think it will be less...probably $599.00 realistically. The chinese think if the gringo can afford $1299 they can afford $599 or $499.

I agree with Jimmie. And the 300-yard limit is way off. I've seen a signal at 1 1/2 miles.
I was referring to a situation where you don't have line of sight. I know they advertise 2 miles with line of sight, but there will be times I will not have line of sight because of trees or something.
I'm leaning heavily towards the Marco Polo. Pretty expensive, but then so is the Mavic.
Milo, I'm in Superior, Mt. Where are you from? Looking for other pilots to fly with.

Last edited:
My thoughts are that you will know the basic direction your drown went and when it goes down most likely something will block the signal somewhat. So you must hike or drive generally in that direction until you find the drone. I am just a beginner in the drone world. I am just looking for tracking device that may work and take a chance on it. Too many stories of drone fly aways. Hard to believe but not going to call anyone a liar. I hike and carry a ACR so someone will find me if I am lost. My Mavic may need help someday too.

I just bought this so my wife can reach me in the high sierra mountains in California so she wont worry. I believe in backup backup DeLorme AG-008727-201 InReach Explorer Two Way Satellite ...
  • Trigger an SOS and interact back and forth with GEOS, our 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center
  • Send and receive 160 character free-form text messages with GPS coordinates to emails or cell numbers anywhere in the world.
  • Adjustable tracking intervals from 10 minutes to 4 hours allow you to track your trip and share your location including GPS coordinates, elevation and speed
  • Provides 100% global coverage through the Iridium satellite network. Delivery confirmation for all text messages and SOS signals., Color screen with predictive, virtual keyboard for standalone two-way messaging

It's pretty simple with the Marco Polo. You always have a rough idea of where you crashed. Even in a complete Fly away the Mavic can only go maybe three miles until the battery will die. You head out in that direction while the the tracker is on in your car, if you get no hits then you do some east to west track and then some N-S drives and within minutes you will get a ping. Once you have that it is pretty easy to find the right location. This is assuming worst case scenario. In most cases you will have the Mavics last known GPS coordinates and that will drop you within a couple of hundred feet of the drone.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS