DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Mavic Sales?

Andrew F

Reactions
Does anyone know how many Mavics have been sold so far worldwide?

Reactions: bertie
What I want to know is how many went back due to defects...a lot I bet. This has to be one of the most botched releases...right up there with the Galaxy Note 7.

After 4 pre-orders over 3 months, I finally got a Mavic Pro and it is defective (jello video/photos, blurry/watercolor image quality).

I think I will wait for a few months for DJI to work out the issues and hopefully release a V2.

Reactions: DroneMann
What I want to know is how many went back due to defects...a lot I bet. This has to be one of the most botched releases...right up there with the Galaxy Note 7.

After 4 pre-orders over 3 months, I finally got a Mavic Pro and it is defective (jello video/photos, blurry/watercolor image quality).

I think I will wait for a few months for DJI to work out the issues and hopefully release a V2.
Not sure if I would say "a lot"...referring to defects

I would...maybe even 20% or more.
If you base 20% defect rate on total sales of 50,000 units that = 10,000 defects. Coming from an engineering background, that's like not having a QC Department at all. Besides that, the turn around time for repairs would be astronomical.

Both estimates are pure speculation. Only DJI knows - maybe LOL. Every number thrown out is as good as a kick. Better try the lottery.

If you base 20% defect rate on total sales of 50,000 units that = 10,000 defects. Coming from an engineering background, that's like not having a QC Department at all. Besides that, the turn around time for repairs would be astronomical.

Good point about repairs turn around time.

Well, let's see...they rushed the product to market to kick Karma's ***, they highly underestimated demand, and then they tried to ramp up production 10 fold to meet that demand which resulted in very poor QC and defects coming off the line. I even believe the absolute lack of inventory being delivered after the second batch (end of Nov. early Dec.) was the result of an entire bad batch being produced and halted when the actual defect rate was discovered. Since, I believe they have been recovering with regards to inventory and quality but haven't quite caught up yet with either.

Reactions: dewster
Good point about repairs turn around time.

Not really. I bet a lot less people have discovered or realized their defective Mavic than have defects. Also, they know their reputation is on the line so they are scrambling to keep up and not screw the pooch any more than they have on this debut. They want to be like Apple but are still trying to shake some of the cheap Chinese manufacturing company attributes.

Well, let's see...they rushed the product to market to kick Karma's ***, they highly underestimated demand, and then they tried to ramp up production 10 fold to meet that demand which resulted in very poor QC and defects coming off the line. I even believe the absolute lack of inventory being delivered after the second batch (end of Nov. early Dec.) was the result of an entire bad batch being produced and halted when the actual defect rate was discovered. Since, I believe they have been recovering with regards to inventory and quality but haven't quite caught up yet with either.
Hmm...keep in mind at that same time they (DJI) had/have the P4P and Inspire 2 in production, which I also own/owned and no one on those forums see to be bringing up defect rates

Karma kicked itself in the ***. I think their only downfall was not being able to keep up with the consumer demand. Not a bad problem to have when you have such a superior product over the recalled Karma. As far as defective products I bet it's no higher than 3%.

sent from mobile device

All the speculation (it IS speculation, and rant) about the troubles around the Mavic release do not take into account the building expertise and advancing procedures of manufacturing of the company. What I mean is, it´s a new drone, but not a new product for DJI. Nothing new or radical or away from what DJI has been doing since day 1.

Samsung has been doing electronics since 1980´s. It came from an already huge conglomerate founded in the late 30´s. With all that knowledge, funding and structure, Samsung (and Apple, and many others) screw up every once in a while. This is the world of modern consumer market. How to manufacture 100.000 Mavics in a few months to satisfy crazy consumers and still cover all bases? Not a realistic expectation.

Also, the consumer profile has been changing quite a lot since the release of the P3 a bit over a yr ago (that is NOT speculation). More and more first-timers and jumping in, as evidenced in this very forum and also DJI´s own (previous owners of Syma count as first timers LOL).

How many errors and issues are related to that? No one knows, it´s only for consideration. New pilots with high degress of expectation, very little to no experience and the view that an advanced drone such as the Mavic is supposed to be an appliance, like a DVD player or something. It´s not.

I aknowledge that DJI develops and market their entry line of drones (Phantom and Mavic) to this public. But still, it is telling. I´m not defending DJI, and I paid for my Mavic just as I did for every other DJI stuff I own. I´m just trying to put things in perspective. Maybe it can help ease the pain of the early adopters in desperation for their faulty Mavics and said lack of support from DJI. Maybe not.

Reactions: MavicPro5280
Does anyone know how many Mavics have been sold so far worldwide?

One nugget I picked up (may even be true) is they have recently been kicking out 100 units per day - Call it 3000 / month.

If they were out of production for ...? 2 months? then they would have a fielded number of much less than 10,000.

But I'll bet they are looking to improve that number a lot while also containing quality loss.

Hmm...keep in mind at that same time they (DJI) had/have the P4P and Inspire 2 in production, which I also own/owned and no one on those forums see to be bringing up defect rates

I'm not DJI bashing. I've had a P1, 2, and 3P and they were all great. Mavic and P4P have had pretty shoddy quality control out the gate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder