DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Novice in UK - Should I start with Mini or go for MA2? Help please!

DorsetDrifter

Reactions
Hi, I'm new to the exciting world of drones. I am a keen photograher but never done any video work. I have been intrigued by the world of drones for some time and now that I have more free time want to get started.

I have registered with the CAA and obtained Flyer and Operator id's so now to buy a drone!

Having never flown a drone before I'm uncertain whether to start with the Mavic Mini and learn the basics and then upgrade, or jump straight in with the Mavic Air 2.

I know I have a lot to learn and no amount of watching online tutorials etc will beat (the steep) hands on learning curve.

Although the initial cost is a consideration, should I start with the Mini or go straight for the MA2 and take things very slowly?

I look forward to your views and advice.

im new to drones i bought a mavic mini great drone but range not to good and i was always loosing signal upgraded to mavic air 2 no signal loss and a lot heavier so ok in winds i love it but its all down to cost
Thanks, So as I want to end up with the MA2, if I can justify the cost it's not foolhardy to start with it?

I started about a month ago with the Mavic Mini - my first drone. If money were no object, I would have gone with the Mavic Air 2. Period.
Having said that, I'm very happy with my Mini, and I'm learning technique - flying the drone, operating the gimbal, adjusting camera settings, creating smooth video and nice looking images. Mixed in with all that learning is finding a lost drone (not VERY lost and easily found, but heart-stopping at the time), coping with signal loss or near-loss, dealing with high winds and high altitude... There's sooo much to learn!
Then there's "post production" including video editing, audio and export production - so many options and so much room for creativity. Who would be your audience and what level of quality do you seek?
There's a lot to learn, so either of the two drones you're considering would be good vehicles to help you acquire new skills. It's a stimulating and absorbing activity, you gotta love it!
Some people say that losing a Mini is less painful to the wallet than losing an Air 2, but who thinks they're actually going to lose a drone? It would hurt to lose my Mini, I can tell you, but I don't PLAN to lose it. Wish me luck and happy flying to you - from the desert southwest in the US.

Personally I think the Mini is great and, for what it is and its price, even better than that.
The image quality is, to me, very impressive.
BUT and it is a big but, in my experience of it you have to be well aware of the wind.
If it is likely to be windy where you will fly then this is perhaps not the drone for you. I could/can fly my Phantom 3, with out the slightest concern, in winds that I would be very nervous about putting the mini up into.
Also bear in mind that it doesn't have many trick features such as tracking, which some people seem to wish it did.
Distance wise I haven't really had the opportunity to test the connection range anywhere but at the coast and I am quite satisfied with what I am getting there, out to the edge of my line of sight without a problem or almost so depending on the 'background', (see Mavic mini a 'scarey' loss of signal RTH). It probably could do with strobe to aid keeping it in sight as it does disappear very easily at distance but I haven't fitted one as yet and it does have a limited capacity to carry 'add ons'.
What I do not like is the control app and it's requirement for a modern phone, my Samsung note 4 and S5 will not work with the fly app and I ended up getting a 2nd hand S6 in order to run the Fly app.
I am used to Go app for my Phantom and amongst other things I dislike the slide button adjustments of the Fly app.
Also, be aware that the battery in the controller has a fairly small and an Android phone will draw quite a bit of power from it, thus draining the battery fairly quickly. I could probably get three full battery flights from the a full charge of the controllerwhen using the S6 but I doubt I'd get a fourth. However I normally recharge the controller after two full battery flights with the S6. This 'bugged me' to the extent that I have bought a 2nd hand 5S iphone to use instead of the Samsung S6. Iphone's do not draw any significant power from the controller. I haven't, as yet, flown using the iphone.
I have seen posts suggesting there is a work around for the battery issue which uses a splitter USB cable and a USB battery pack to power the phone but I do not know if that actually works and I can't find a relevant post to provide a link for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Same predicament for me a few weeks ago. The mini is a super cool little drone, pretty much 1/2 the cost of the air 2. However there is quite a difference, from obviously the 4k and tracking, the avoidance which is very useful. I also knew prior to getting a drone, i would love it.........so i knew i would want the MA2 still. So i went straight to the MA2 , which even has a few more features than the bigger mavic(granted because its newer and the mavic 3 will no doubt kick its a55). The MA2 is super easy to fly........really easy compared to heli's anyway. The MA2 is more stable in wind. in fact its amazing how it does handle. Absolutely no regrets at all, but i will admit i would still like a mini!. There maybe a bit more to the ma2, but that does not mean harder to fly, in fact it can be quite the opposite, certainly in windy conditions. With the front, rear and bottom sensors, it cam help save your drone to. You will have no issue starting with the MA2, as said find an open area with limited things to hit! Practice, then practice some more. Just letting go of the sticks causes it to hover. Read the manuals to both, watch and read info on both, then hopefully you will have no regrets with what you decide on. Safe flying and welcome :cool:

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Same predicament for me a few weeks ago. The mini is a super cool little drone, pretty much 1/2 the cost of the air 2. However there is quite a difference, from obviously the 4k and tracking, the avoidance which is very useful. I also knew prior to getting a drone, i would love it.........so i knew i would want the MA2 still. So i went straight to the MA2 , which even has a few more features than the bigger mavic(granted because its newer and the mavic 3 will no doubt kick its a55). The MA2 is super easy to fly........really easy compared to heli's anyway. The MA2 is more stable in wind. in fact its amazing how it does handle. Absolutely no regrets at all, but i will admit i would still like a mini!. There maybe a bit more to the ma2, but that does not mean harder to fly, in fact it can be quite the opposite, certainly in windy conditions. With the front, rear and bottom sensors, it cam help save your drone to. You will have no issue starting with the MA2, as said find an open area with limited things to hit! Practice, then practice some more. Just letting go of the sticks causes it to hover. Read the manuals to both, watch and read info on both, then hopefully you will have no regrets with what you decide on. Safe flying and welcome :cool:
Thanks for that, you are confirming my thoughts. Did you go for the combo with the extra batteries etc? I feel if I'm going for it I might as well get the lot!

Thanks for that, you are confirming my thoughts. Did you go for the combo with the extra batteries etc? I feel if I'm going for it I might as well get the lot!
I made the mistake of not getting the combo. Oh well.......... I did end up buying a second battery a little later on. But when you add up £760+ £105.......well for less than £100 more, you get a bag, another battery, dock for 3 batts(only charges 1 at a time though) and dont use on their 1st charge, small risk of bricking the batteries when coming out of hibernation. Then filters, car charger to.........yep i messed up:rolleyes:

So yes get the lot! It certainly makes sense Thumbswayup

Hi and welcome :)
To be honest, I'd go for the Air 2. Both are good drones but the advantage the Air 2 has over the mini is obstacle avoidance sensors and Occusync. Occusync is much much better way to communicate with the drone as it has a huge range and that gives you excellent communication between you and the drone for visual line of sight and then some.

The other thing is, the air 2 is a heavier drone and that has the advantage of being harder for the wind to blow about.

Get the DJI care - no brainer.

Practice in big open spaces with no flipping trees! Or power lines either come to think of it. Me and trees have history..........

Hi and welcome :)
To be honest, I'd go for the Air 2. Both are good drones but the advantage the Air 2 has over the mini is obstacle avoidance sensors and Occusync. Occusync is much much better way to communicate with the drone as it has a huge range and that gives you excellent communication between you and the drone for visual line of sight and then some.

The other thing is, the air 2 is a heavier drone and that has the advantage of being harder for the wind to blow about.

Get the DJI care - no brainer.

Practice in big open spaces with no flipping trees! Or power lines either come to think of it. Me and trees have history..........
Thank you.
That all makes good sense as does the DJI care.
I'm sure I'll have lots more questions going forward ?

Welcome to you, Dorset Drifter, from Hauptmann in Texas, USA.

Tough decision. They're both very good drones. For me, it'd be a matter of economics. If I could afford and justify the extra expense, I'd likely go for the MA2.

On the other hand, it may be prudent to get the Mini for learning piloting skills. You will crash it and you will lose it. Better to do this with a lower cost machine.

The Mini is fine for learning precision flying and landing, and practicing until your stick movements become second nature--so that you can make subtle adjustments using your autonomous nervous system, and without conscious thought. This is how you steer your car or type a letter. Then upgrade to a more expensive, more powerful drone.

But it's like most everything else in life. You pay your money, and take your choice. Either way, we're glad to have you as a member!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S