DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Totally bewildered

KingRat

Reactions
I am completely new to tech. Lets get that out of the way. I am only just beginning to understand that an 'APP' is what I would call a program. I have been left way behind, I realise that now. My 'new' upgrade computer is Windows 7 - I have only just upgraded from Windows XP in the last couple of months, just before Microsoft decided to withdraw support for my new computer! Tough, I will have to live with it for a few year yet.

I am trying to get my head around what I need to get my new toy flying. I don't have any kind of screen to use with it and I am looking at the various options, which I don't actually understand - people throw around names and model numbers with *** abandon and I don't know what they mean, there are only so many questions one can ask goggle. After which my head is spinning like a top.

In simple terms, what do I need to fly my new drone please? Once I get the screen device to work with the controller (still trying to find that out, without spending a month's wages), now I find there is whole raft of programmes to use... why would one use these other programmes instead of the one DJI provides?

How difficult/ easy is it to load the necessary programmes onto whatever I end up with? I have never downloaded anything. Years ago, when they first came out, I bought an iPlayer gold, but I never managed to work out how you got music onto it, so I gave it away with it having been played with but never actually used, because I couldn't work it out! That is the kind of level of incompetence with tech I have. So in your answers, please don't be too clever, I need to absolute basics.
Cheers,
Simon.

Reactions: Cw4bray
I am completely new to tech. Lets get that out of the way. I am only just beginning to understand that an 'APP' is what I would call a program. I have been left way behind, I realise that now. My 'new' upgrade computer is Windows 7 - I have only just upgraded from Windows XP in the last couple of months, just before Microsoft decided to withdraw support for my new computer! Tough, I will have to live with it for a few year yet.

I am trying to get my head around what I need to get my new toy flying. I don't have any kind of screen to use with it and I am looking at the various options, which I don't actually understand - people throw around names and model numbers with *** abandon and I don't know what they mean, there are only so many questions one can ask goggle. After which my head is spinning like a top.

In simple terms, what do I need to fly my new drone please? Once I get the screen device to work with the controller (still trying to find that out, without spending a month's wages), now I find there is whole raft of programmes to use... why would one use these other programmes instead of the one DJI provides?

How difficult/ easy is it to load the necessary programmes onto whatever I end up with? I have never downloaded anything. Years ago, when they first came out, I bought an iPlayer gold, but I never managed to work out how you got music onto it, so I gave it away with it having been played with but never actually used, because I couldn't work it out! That is the kind of level of incompetence with tech I have. So in your answers, please don't be too clever, I need to absolute basics.
Cheers,
Simon.
it sounds like you would benefit from someone local to you to be able to show you how things work and explain what is involved ,are there any local clubs or other drone fliers in your locality there is so much to get your head around its not something you can learn in 5 mins ,people on the forum will try to help you as much as they can me included, but there will be some extra gear to buy to get you airborn ,and its much easier to show someone what and how to go about things than write it down

I appreciate the learning curve is going to be several fold. I struggle with understanding some of the terms people are using for a start off.

My first need is for a screen to run the control program. I don't have £00s to spend on it, but I will get something that is used for the controller and just the controller. I have een warned about a 'phone' trying to do too much at once and losing connection as a result. I just don't know what I should get and so many different people say different things..... I wish there was one simple answer!

now I find there is whole raft of programmes to use... why would one use these other programmes instead of the one DJI provides?
For most flyers, almost all the time, the standard DJI app is all you need.
Don't worry about any others until you find some special use that might require something more.

Big breath Simon, it's a slow learning curve that's best.

You can easily just use the DJI supplied app for as long as you like.
To be honest I'm still not tempted to go with Litchi, or any of the other free used programmes . . . DJI apps do what I want, simple cinematic flight, hands on flying, fun, etc . . . and will be fine for you as a 'learner' too.

You didn't mention your drone model, but you will either be using DJI Fly (mini and Air 2 only) or DJI Go4 for all other aircraft.
They are free, don't get onto anything other than the genuine DJI apps, using search in your app store on your phone etc will find them easily enough.

I'm not sure if you've already done all that, but just sing out on the forum if you need any help, OR search youtube (eg > DJI Fly app download and set up) should get you some good tutorials come up.

people throw around names and model numbers with *** abandon

Lol the forum blanked out this popular old world term with innocent origins.
We have an ice cream called Golden Gaytime, I don't think I've ever indulged . . . "not that there's anything wrong with that" (Seinfeld).

Reactions: wjkrysak
It looks like everyone is assuming this but do you already own a smartphone ?
You say you don't have any kind of screen so I take it you don't.

Most relatively new phones will be OK for a screen and get you up & flying, plenty of good used phones going up for sale all the time as most people want the newest model at the time, you don't have to have any sort of phone contract, just the phone as a screen.

I mention phones over tablets because with a tablet you would in most cases require a tablet holder that fits on the controller.

Reactions: KingRat
Thank you. That clarifies some parts for me.
You mention downloading the DJI Apps... no, I haven't done any of that yet because I don't have anything to download it onto yet - that is the next part of the headache. I have never used any of the devices people are mentioning. I know, I am a dinosaur, I have been completely left behind by technology. I need some pointers as to what to get in that department, then I will look at how to put the program(s) I need onto the (whatever I end up getting). I am still a long way away from take off!

Interesting you recognised what was missing from my sentence! The world has gone mad.

I asume you have the internet seeing as you are on the forum & presume you have wi fi so once you get your device to use as a screen you can download the relevent DJI app for the drone you choose using that.

It looks like everyone is assuming this but do you already own a smartphone ?
You say you don't have any kind of screen so I take it you don't.

Most relatively new phones will be OK for a screen and get you up & flying, plenty of good used phones going up for sale all the time as most people want the newest model at the time, you don't have to have any sort of phone contract, just the phone as a screen.

I mention phones over tablets because with a tablet you would in most cases require a tablet holder that fits on the controller.

Thanks for your help - well spotted. You did read what I wrote! No, I don't have anything with a screen yet - I have never had one. I have a mobile phone, but it is a simple telephone, nothing else. Guess what? People can call me and talk to me in real time and actually hear my voice, instead of just seeing typing appear, out of synch.

There are so many different models out there, with recommendations coming from all quarters, but then as many again saying they are having problems. It has me worried, because this is a major purchase for me, even though it is a used Mavic Air, the helicopter, and then control screen are big purchases. I can't afford to get it wrong. There are so many stories of people trying to use something and it doesn't work, so they just go and get the next one... I am not in a position to do that. It is one of the reasons I haven't spent out on a fancy mobile phone yet. The cost of running them isn't cheap either. That is why i want to simply stick with my phone as the means of communiucation and get somethnig that is ONLY used for controlling the drone and seeing what is going on. A dedicated screen device of some sort.

We have wifi at home, to run the computer (Windows 7).

it sounds like you would benefit from someone local to you to be able to show you how things work and explain what is involved ,are there any local clubs or other drone fliers in your locality there is so much to get your head around its not something you can learn in 5 mins ,people on the forum will try to help you as much as they can me included, but there will be some extra gear to buy to get you airborn ,and its much easier to show someone what and how to go about things than write it down

I think this is now the very best course of action for you.

You can just go see someone flying theirs, see their gear, talk about options, bit of banter here on this thread about pros and cons of various phones, ipads, tablets, crystal sky / smart controller etc etc.

Maybe if you post your general location, there may be a local forum member that lives nearby you can catch up with on a flight one day ?

Cheers,
Simon.

Hi Simon,

As someone said earlier "And breathe....".

OK. What would help to know is what drone you have - only because the Mavic Air 2 is new and there are some phones/tablets that work better than others currently. That way we can recommend something that will do the job. I would say that I personally find the phone a bit small, so use an 8" tablet that fits nicely in the jaws of the controller for my Mavic 2 Zoom.

So basics. Downloading apps (programs) as OMM (Old Man Mavic) says, maybe ask a young person for help to do this. Just don't ask mine - you get a load of eye-rolling and grunting. But all you need is the DJI app that is made for your drone in order to fly. That's all. You can now fly.

You found this forum, so your computer skills are good! The one resource I would recommend is youtube. The brilliant thing about that is there are many tutorials for everything you could possibly want. I have used it for fixing all sorts of odd things in the past. If you go there and type in something like mavic air 2 getting started you will find tutorials made by people that know what they are talking about, well presented and aimed at people of all levels of ability.

There are a lot of good people here that can help. I know what you mean about it all making your head explode, but once you have the screen device ready to go just stick to here and youtube tutorials for the moment to get used to the drone and how to use it.

Bit of advice - avoid trees.............

Oh, and I'm pushing 60 :) Very flipping fast.

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

As someone said earlier "And breathe....".

OK. What would help to know is what drone you have - only because the Mavic Air 2 is new and there are some phones/tablets that work better than others currently. That way we can recommend something that will do the job. I would say that I personally find the phone a bit small, so use an 8" tablet that fits nicely in the jaws of the controller for my Mavic 2 Zoom.

So basics. Downloading apps (programs) as OMM (Old Man Mavic) says, maybe ask a young person for help to do this. Just don't ask mine - you get a load of eye-rolling and grunting. But all you need is the DJI app that is made for your drone in order to fly. That's all. You can now fly.

You found this forum, so your computer skills are good! The one resource I would recommend is youtube. The brilliant thing about that is there are many tutorials for everything you could possibly want. I have used it for fixing all sorts of odd things in the past. If you go there and type in something like mavic air 2 getting started you will find tutorials made by people that know what they are talking about, well presented and aimed at people of all levels of ability.

There are a lot of good people here that can help. I know what you mean about it all making your head explode, but once you have the screen device ready to go just stick to here and youtube tutorials for the moment to get used to the drone and how to use it.

Bit of advice - avoid trees.............

Oh, and I'm pushing 60 :) Very flipping fast.

Me too, in a couple of months. I have had 3 years recovering from a motorway accident on the motorbike - idiot driving whilst using his phone caused it all. He didn't hit me, I got side swiped and sent into the outside lane (fast lane over here - because we aren't like USA and chop and change with people going different speeds in whatever lane) - I parted company with the bike and got run over by a big Merc jeep steaming up the outside lane.... I am back on my feet now and itching to get going. I did suffer a head injury though, which is why I am a bit slow to understand stuff. Hence me sayig, please be patient (which you all are, thank you!)

I have bought a used Mavic Air from a known source. It has a couple of batteries and several spare sets of props and stuff. A friend is sending me an, in his words, 'old Motorola android tablet' A 9" screen one. That is as much as I know about it at the moment. I don't know if it will have the required chip in it or not. Maybe I can take it to a computer geek and get it organised.

I went to another friend last night, not so far away, who is a commercial flyer with his Mavic Pro, now 3 years old or even more. He sees no need to change to one of the newer ones. He has all the paperwork, but he isn't a geek. Some of the questions I was asking him, like asking the collective here, about what screen to use etc - he simply said, "I don't know", I use my iPad on a bracket with a hood and that is as much as I know. He uses what he had and doesn't know about anything else, because he doesn't need to.... an iPad is a fortune! He went through the pre flight checks and regulations and everything... I took notes. At this stage, just the flying bit, the 'pictures' can come later. He got me to set up the heli landing pad and he has permission from the farm where we flew in the field. I had a go at flying, just using the sticks at first... being able to take off and land is easy enough. Flying in straight lines is a doddle too. Up, left, right, spin round (yaw?), then down... all good. It will take getting used to for flying 3D rather than 2D, which is what I did mostly (2 batteries worth!) I did try doing two things at once so as to fly in a curve and change orientation.... that will need practice, I could but not necessarily accurately enough to keep something framed. I landed it with the sticks too. Then we tried the press the button return and land.... I was more accurate, but I did take longer about it to make sure I was bang in the middle of the helipad. Flying is quite tiring. He had another 4 batteries I could have used, he was urging me to have another one and fly further, I only went abou 100 yards, we did try out the ceiling limiter, it works! At 397 feet it went red and started shouting at me. Good to know, 400 feet is high though and his bigger drone was difficult to see at that height, so I shall be staying much closer.

Let's hope this Motorola will be good enough.

ps: If you have read this far, you might have gauged my enthusiasm! I have spent days and days looking at You Toob tutorials and stuff, all on the Mavic Air, because I thought it would be pertinent to me... Drone Valley (doesn't he drone on, and on.... get to the point man!) Ian in London is good too - speaks more direct and more concisely, doesn't keep going off at a tangent, which is so boring.

I shall watch more.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Morning! Hope it’s a nice day where you are? Lovely here in Yorkshire again!

I think you said you’re getting a Mavic Air, a red one? I own one too, it’s a great drone.
The best advice I can give you on a screen is to get an Apple iPhone. They’re easier to use than android phones, and have less settings to mess about with. The iPhone 6s model is the oldest and cheapest version that will work with your drone. You should be able to get one relatively cheaply.

Reactions: KingRat
Morning! Hope it’s a nice day where you are? Lovely here in Yorkshire again!

I think you said you’re getting a Mavic Air, area one? I own one too, it’s a great drone.
The best advice I can give you on a screen is to get an Apple iPhone. They’re easier to use than android phones, and have less settings to mess about with. The iPhone 6s model is the oldest and cheapest version that will work with your drone. You should be able to get one relatively cheaply.

Morning Chap. I hope to be up your way soon. I am not that far south of you, near Alton Towers. Uttoxeter is the town where I live.
Thanks for your suggestion, if this Android Motorola tablet isn't any good for the drone, then I shall have to think again... hoping it will have the power to do it. I don't want to use it for anything else, just for flying the drone.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
If you are trying to eat the whole elephant in one bite you will not do so well. It is a long slow learning curve that presents many turns as you travel through.
The best source is here however most folks here are deeply skilled and amazingly talented in this stuff. It will confuse and frustrate you as you and I are well behind most here on the learning curve.
Most everyone here have walked the miles of the learning curve

I found it quicker to work independently to gain some speed by using the millions of YouTube vids on just about everything Dji offers.
Additionally search this resource in the past folks have posted countless lists of the best phones and tablets that work with your drone.
Lastly there is a bunch of info right from DJI.
You will have your best experience taking small steps and walking in your own shoes;)

Welcome to the forum from the woods of Maine!

Small steps as you’ve been doing and practice will get you there! Be patient, there’s a lot to learn...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22