DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Totally my fault but got lucky

Chaska

Reactions
Total pilot error. New pilot also. Flying in a medium field right behind my house. Tried sport mode out. Flew forward across no problems. Flew backward to return and do a fly by. I didn’t realize how close I was to the tree in my yard. By the time my son yelled tree it was to late. It went backwards into a young maple tree and down to tallish yard grass. My heart sank and I felt totally humbled. Upon inspection no visible cracks or broken arms. Gimble and lens were ok. One very small chip in one of the rear props. I turned everything off, fully inspected and turned it back on. Everything rebooted fine. Switched batteries and did auto take off and let it Hoover for a minute and tested all controls. All was working as it should and the motors sounded fine with no wobble. Took it up to 150ft and still good. I really dodged a bullet on this event. Serious education right here. Just wanted to share for other new pilots, situational awareness can’t be taken for granted especially in familiar territory. I will replace the props and from now on my attention will be way more focused.

welcome to the forum,you just proved something that i have mentioned in several posts since joining the forum, and that is when the comment has been made, that these drones are very easy to fly ,i always comment that they are just as easy to crash as well,glad no damage appears to have been done as you said lesson learned happy flying OMM

Best video I ever saw on YouTube was a guy showing off the collision avoidance of his new (1week old) Mavic pro.
He just demonstrated speed in sport mode and says it won’t crash! It has collision avoidance! And flys it full speed into a barn, destroying it!
Then says, I forgot there is no collision avoidance in sport mode!
Speed kills, use it wisely or only when you have to.

Total pilot error. New pilot also. Flying in a medium field right behind my house. Tried sport mode out. Flew forward across no problems. Flew backward to return and do a fly by. I didn’t realize how close I was to the tree in my yard. By the time my son yelled tree it was to late. It went backwards into a young maple tree and down to tallish yard grass. My heart sank and I felt totally humbled. Upon inspection no visible cracks or broken arms. Gimble and lens were ok. One very small chip in one of the rear props. I turned everything off, fully inspected and turned it back on. Everything rebooted fine. Switched batteries and did auto take off and let it Hoover for a minute and tested all controls. All was working as it should and the motors sounded fine with no wobble. Took it up to 150ft and still good. I really dodged a bullet on this event. Serious education right here. Just wanted to share for other new pilots, situational awareness can’t be taken for granted especially in familiar territory. I will replace the props and from now on my attention will be way more focused.
I have a Phantom 3 Pro and recently bought the Mini. The learning curve with the P3 taught me what happens when you make a mistake and crash. In comparison, the Mini is more fun to fly and very easy to setup . I’m very happy with the Mini

Replace all the blades on the prop that was chipped.

I feel like I didn’t dodge a bullet, but dodged my own arrogance mixed with some karma. Lol. I learned a lot reading this forum. Now it’s time to rebuild some confidence.
Yeah, we can learn a lot from the mistakes of others. ?

Sport mode at low altitude is very risky business. As in..it would be very easy to hit something or...yikes....someone :(

Reactions: Chaska

Glad it worked out ok for you. Thanks for the tip!!

Best video I ever saw on YouTube was a guy showing off the collision avoidance of his new (1week old) Mavic pro.
He just demonstrated speed in sport mode and says it won’t crash! It has collision avoidance! And flys it full speed into a barn, destroying it!
Then says, I forgot there is no collision avoidance in sport mode!
Speed kills, use it wisely or only when you have to.

From my favorite guitar player, David Wilcox: "It is not speed that kills; it is impact." :)

Reactions: old man mavic
From my favorite guitar player, David Wilcox: "It is not speed that kills; it is impact." :)
Or as the scientist might say “the problem is with the sudden de-acceleration causing an extremely rapid disassembly“

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica