DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Towing a kids kite to 400' - talk me out of it...

erkme73

Reactions
I know, I shouldn't consider towing my kids' $18 kite with my $1k drone. But we're getting impatient with mother nature.

5 days of no wind. And we live on a windy bluff line:

When we had some slight wind yesterday, the direction would change ever 5 -10 seconds. On one launch attempt, I was able to get above the tree line where more constant wind took over and it let me reach my string's 500' limit. But aside from that one success, I've been unable to get a consistent enough gust to repeat the flight. My 4 an 6yo kiddos are eager to see it fly again.

So, contrary to my better judgement, I began to consider "towing" the kite higher with my MP1. I haven't tried it. I haven't even pulled the MP from storage.

If I attempted this, I can think of a dozen ways where it ends badly. But with enough planning and the right approach, maybe I can beat mother nature?

Reactions: sonof40
You plan on attaching the kite and then releasing it somehow? I'd say even if this worked (and that is a huge "if") the kite won't launch correctly so it won't fly. So you have the issue of attaching it to the drone, having it release, having ti catch the wind and we are not even to the point where the kite causing the drone to tilt and crash.

Yup that's what my thoughts were too. But knowing there are crazier people than me on the interwebs, figured I'd toss it out there to see if anyone had done something this foolish.

Thought is that if I get it high enough it'll get the kite into a decent stream of air where it'll stay aloft. Of course that stream would pull on the MP like a drag chute. But if I had a tension-release system that would break free with slightly more pull than the weight of the kite, it should prevent that. But I'd rather borrow someone's else's drone to try...

Ive dropped toy parachutes from my F450 build. great fun

I think just the getting it up without the wind dragging the np away right off the bat would almost impossible.. I wouldn’t do it man

I think just the getting it up without the wind dragging the np away right off the bat would almost impossible.. I wouldn’t do it man

That's is my biggest concern. I thought with enough of a lead - maybe 20' or so - and a detach mechanism - maybe a cloths pen that only has so much holding power - if the wind did start pulling the kite more than a few ounces, the clothes pen wouldn't have the grip and would release the payload. But, do I want to gamble a MP on that theory? Not really.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
Do a search on Pink Balloons on this forum and see the results. I don't recommend things with strings in the air with your MP.

That's is my biggest concern. I thought with enough of a lead - maybe 20' or so - and a detach mechanism - maybe a cloths pen that only has so much holding power - if the wind did start pulling the kite more than a few ounces, the clothes pen wouldn't have the grip and would release the payload. But, do I want to gamble a MP on that theory? Not really.

Make sure the clothes pin release is on the mavic end to keep the string from getting swirled into the props. If you try it make sure you video and share.

Make sure the clothes pin release is on the mavic end to keep the string from getting swirled into the props. If you try it make sure you video and share.

I think it would work, but I'm not confident enough to risk my drone. Not for an $18 kite. And, as luck would have it, today we had very good winds, so I was able to get the kite airborne and up to about 400' the natural way... After which I promptly got it stuck 60' up in a tree... It was fun while it lasted, and luck was on my side, because an hour later, the kite was on the ground and I was able to retrieve the entire line.

Reactions: dwolfe002
I would have LOVED to have had "Drone Assist" back in our kite flying days.

With the proper precautions and the understanding that it COULD go wrong I can definitely see it being used with success.

Reactions: Thomas B
I would tie a few clothes hangers together, form a pulley. Like a wheelie bar sort of thing
Make it yay long, thread/attach it to the rear Legs (if it a M1P) and that way you have some breathing room?

If there’s no wind and you want to fly a kite try a Zero-G.
You’re supposed to be able to fly it indoors, never tried that, but it flys well in windless conditions outside once you’ve mastered the technique.
Sorry, just noticed it’s out of stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicFT1P
Great evo of kites. I dont know about the flying inside concept?
Kites kinds of opitimize the whole; being young, outdoors having fun in the sun.

I say forget about the Mavic and just get an awsome kite..Thats in stock :)

Yup that's what my thoughts were too. But knowing there are crazier people than me on the interwebs, figured I'd toss it out there to see if anyone had done something this foolish.

Thought is that if I get it high enough it'll get the kite into a decent stream of air where it'll stay aloft. Of course that stream would pull on the MP like a drag chute. But if I had a tension-release system that would break free with slightly more pull than the weight of the kite, it should prevent that. But I'd rather borrow someone's else's drone to try...

I wonder if an R/C glider or a styrofoam or balsa glider could be towed to altitude? The release cable (string) would have to stay with the glider.

That sounds cool.
Re the whole towing thing. Not sure if someone has put it out there but some of the rear leg extenders available would help the line from fouling/tangling.
You want to be going forward obviously, as with any kite flying, glider towing
a8f006b59cf724904cbacc7e7521cd9300cfcee1.jpg

4d36b523fc5822dfcad0fb74e2c3856e168e6b27.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike