DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracker Needed?

GoGeoFerret

Reactions
I have ordered my new Mavic 2 Pro from dji. Not got it yet though. Can't wait for it to get here.
I was worried that I might get things wrong and it flies away. I've read similar stories. Is there a need to buy some sort of mini gps tracker to locate drone in case it escapes?.....

It’s like insurance, you won’t NEED it until you NEED it.

As far as I understand it, If the controller maintains contact with the drone it’ll be tracked on the map to its final resting place. However, if the flyaway is due to a comms failure between controller and drone, that’s when a tracker will come in very handy indeed.

I’ve started looking into this issue myself and there seem to be two main types: GPS or RF. The GPS types have a useful longer range but are slightly bigger, more expensive (many have a monthly mobile SIM subscription) and if you’re deep in the countryside you may not get a signal.

There’s also the RF types – cheaper to buy, no subscription, smaller & lighter (therefore easier to mount), BUT the range is shorter. If you can see where the drone went down and can get to within a hundred yards or so the RF type will guide you to it. If its in a ditch or behind a building the range will drop significantly, conversely if in a tree the range will be higher (its line-of-sight). If you didn’t see where the drone went, then locating it just got a lot harder,

For me, the one that’s currently in pole position is the Loc8tor which is an RF type and costs about £55. The sender can be mounted on the Mavic battery with Velcro.

Do any of the more experienced members here have any experience of the Loc8tor or other trackers?

As far as I understand it, If the controller maintains contact with the drone it’ll be tracked on the map to its final resting place. However, if the flyaway is due to a comms failure between controller and drone, that’s when a tracker will come in very handy indeed.

I’ve started looking into this issue myself and there seem to be two main types: GPS or RF. The GPS types have a useful longer range but are slightly bigger, more expensive (many have a monthly mobile SIM subscription) and if you’re deep in the countryside you may not get a signal.

There’s also the RF types – cheaper to buy, no subscription, smaller & lighter (therefore easier to mount), BUT the range is shorter. If you can see where the drone went down and can get to within a hundred yards or so the RF type will guide you to it. If its in a ditch or behind a building the range will drop significantly, conversely if in a tree the range will be higher (its line-of-sight). If you didn’t see where the drone went, then locating it just got a lot harder,

For me, the one that’s currently in pole position is the Loc8tor which is an RF type and costs about £55. The sender can be mounted on the Mavic battery with Velcro.

Do any of the more experienced members here have any experience of the Loc8tor or other trackers?

Thanks for reply, I will have a look at the one you recommend.

I’ve bought a loc8tor just deciding where to put it on the drone via Velcro or clipped onto the bird somewhere.

Mad_Maru… From what I’ve read, the consensus seems to be mounting on the battery is best as that position places it furthest away from the Mavic’s compass. A Velcro pad on each battery makes it simple to swap over when you change batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000