DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracking device

Vin829

Reactions
I fly in some really remote areas with no cell reception. Is there a small tracking device out there that doesnt require cell service ?

Reactions: davequick
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Spock
Yea was looking at that, but that base station is almost as big as the Mavic...LOL

The Trackimo works well. It's much larger though and it requires cell reception.

Marco-Polo-vs-Trackimo.png

Reactions: Mr Spock
A lot of people are attaching it to the top of the battery via velcro. You could attach it to one of the arms too.

Good luck with the Trackimo and no cell service. Not only will you not be able to find the Mavic Pro if downed you will loose the Trackimo to boot. Fun times!

Reactions: SeaFox and DonB
I am very undecided about adding the GPS tracker I bought to the Mavic.

Just today the app "complained" about electro-magnetic interference just because 3 of us were very close to the drone, checking the tablet while I was holding the Mavic in my hand, in an wide open space but with with cell phones on our pockets.

The system seems to be quite sensitive to external magnetic interferences. Won't both the Trackimo and my tracker occasionally "ping" cell towers even if not challenged by the location part of the system?

Doesn't that have a potential to interfere with the compasses?

...I already received my Loc8tor and I think I might just stick to it, in spite of the very limited search range.

MK

Nope! The Marco Polo does not send or receive until one powers up the tracking reciever and then sends a "Marco" (short burst) and then the transmitter attached to the Mavic responds with a "Polo"

That's the beauty of the device. It also allows longer battery life as its not always broadcasting out into the ether.
Within 2 miles line of sight and your good. Well I flew out farther than that you say. No problem. Walk in the direction last seen and keep sending a "Marco" eventually you will get close enough to get a "polo" and an arrow on the screen pointing towards the direction of the downed Mavic

I would like to buy the Marco Polo but that's a hefty $250. I'd like to wait if they can make a smaller version, as the actual handhel tracker appears a bit outdated and can use a refresh. Just my 2 cents.

Nope! The Marco Polo does not send or receive until one powers up the tracking reciever and then sends a "Marco" (short burst) and then the transmitter attached to the Mavic responds with a "Polo"

That's the beauty of the device. It also allows longer battery life as its not always broadcasting out into the ether.
Within 2 miles line of sight and your good. Well I flew out farther than that you say. No problem. Walk in the direction last seen and keep sending a "Marco" eventually you will get close enough to get a "polo" and an arrow on the screen pointing towards the direction of the downed Mavic

I know how the Marco Polo works.

I didn't mention it, if you noticed.

It is not an option for me, at the moment, on account of the hefty price, that ugly tracking tag and the volume of the tracker that kind of defeats the portability and compactness of the my Mavic system.

MK

Saw a YouTube video today where a guy did a distance test with a Trackimo on his Mavic. **** thing went out 17,000 feet without a hiccup. Impressive

I know how the Marco Polo works.

I didn't mention it, if you noticed.

It is not an option for me, at the moment, on account of the hefty price, that ugly tracking tag and the volume of the tracker that kind of defeats the portability and compactness of the my Mavic system.

MK
If you fly in an area without cell service you don't have many options, a spotter with a good pair of glasses, eyesight like and eagle, a divining rod for drones, or a Marco Polo. The other option is to always fly LOS. I really don't care how ugly the tag is, if it gets me my Mavic back it can be Mother-In-Law ugly for all I care, that's still way better than a lost Mavic.

Last edited:
Reactions: jointeffort
If you fly in an area without cell service you don't have many options, a spotter with a good pair of glasses, eyesight like and eagle, a divining rot for drones, or a Marco Polo. The other option is to always fly LOS. I really don't care how ugly the tag is, if it gets me my Mavic back it can be Mother-In-Law ugly for all I care, that's still way better than a lost Mavic.

We established than that is it is great for you and it can be less than great for me.

Isn't diversity wonderful? :)

MK

I've been using the Marco Polo for a few years now on small racing drones (250 size and up), and it has worked flawlessly. I've lost several small quads in VERY high weeds where you could almost be standing on the quad and not see it, and the Marco Polo has enabled me to find it every time. The tracker module that goes on the aircraft is tiny and doesn't send any signal at all until the searching tool pings it, so no RF interference. I highly recommend it.

I've been using the Marco Polo for a few years now on small racing drones (250 size and up), and it has worked flawlessly. I've lost several small quads in VERY high weeds where you could almost be standing on the quad and not see it, and the Marco Polo has enabled me to find it every time. The tracker module that goes on the aircraft is tiny and doesn't send any signal at all until the searching tool pings it, so no RF interference. I highly recommend it.

Still, the Marco Polo is pricey and the locator is bulky ...especially when one's backpack is also carrying a plethora of photographic devices as mine usually is, in remote locations (...to better elucidate my perspective: Even closed the MC locator is about the size of a flash gun. I'd rather take the flash ;) ).

The advantage of the Marco Polo over the Loc8tor is the "long-range" tracking, since the Marco Polo range is much larger (...quite impressive, actually...).

I am thinking that since I have the flight path on the map, I can get near enough a down-site for the Loc8tor to provide effective assistance.

Let's imagine the scenarios:

1. The Mavic just falls off the sky because of a defect, engine or propeller problem or because it bumped into something- The last position is recorded on the map.
2. The Mavic looses signal or senses a low battery level and initiates a Smart RTH, developing a problem (either the low-sun-obstacle-freeze or another, new one) that results in a forced landing midway through - The landing site will be between me and last position on the map.
3. Any other type of malfunction documentable by a flight log during the 2 year warranty is more a DJI problem than my own (...consumer laws are very effective around these parts. If DJI tries to pull a "fast one", the vendor will be brought into the complaint channel...).

I understand there are other remaining instances in which the MP would be more effective but does that effectiveness increase justify the price + the bulkiness?...I am not yet fully decided on this.

To be frank, I am much more worried about physical access in a no-cell coverage, remote location than I am about the effectiveness difference between the MP and the Loc8tor.

What I have already decided is where the Velcro patch will go and how large it will be.

For me, it might well turn out that I get the MP, add it as 3rd option to other 2 ones I already have and elect which on to use on a case-by-case mission profile basis.

MK

Last edited:
This is my reasoning for the Trackimo. Im in a rugged remote area and i have the Marco Polo and the Mavic goes down, chances of actually being able to find it and access it are still very slim. Steep cliffs, challenging terrain, tall trees etc. I bought the Mavic for the camera and portability. Carrying that base unit with me on hikes or mountain bike rides really isnt an option. Not to say I only fly in remote areas. I would still say 80% of my flying has some sort of signal

My needs include tracking a cat as well as my (still not received) Mavic Pro so the Loc8tor seems the obvious choice for me. My hope is that with the map and telemetry assist of the DJI software I should be able to get close enough (100 - 150m) to locate the drone.

Now that I think about it, the cat might present more of a challenge.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser