DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trainer drone while I wait?

mreloc

Reactions
I ordered my MPP FMC from DJI last weekend but am not feeling like it will come anytime soon, per the conversations going on here (site said 5-7 days). So, since it will be my first drone, thinking it might be smart to get some basic coordination/muscle memory started using a cheap-o drone of some sort that I can bang around and not feel bad about. Anyone have any recommendations for something that is hopefully sub-$100?

There aren't really any skills that are going to transfer between a cheapo drone and a Mavic. The Mavic goes where you point the control sticks, there's not much else to it.

Even in ATTI mode it's going to behave differently that a sub $100 drone.

I don't think you will be able to transfer much knowledge learned from a sub-$100 drone to the MPP besides just flying into things. Your time would be better spent on watching Mavic crash videos on YouTube. I saw so many that by the time I got mine I had a good handle on what not to do. I also recommend this video:
I would be surprised if you get it in 5-7 days. DJI has a history of jerking people around with their ship dates. My preferred suppliers, Advexure and B&H Photo, both show the MPP FMC as a pre-order item; meaning they are not in stock. I had cancelled my original MP FMC order with DJI after two weeks of not shipping and ordered from B&H. They shipped on the same day. In the past, DJI has put distributors before individual purchasers when stock becomes available.

In any case, welcome to the group and enjoy your Mavic when you get it. It really is a great machine!

Last edited:
Air Hogs Millenium Falcon or USS Enterprise.

They're nothing like a Mavic, but at least you're in control of iconic starships... if you're going to be pretending anyway. :)

They also crash well.

Reactions: Oconnb910
Anyone have any recommendations for something that is hopefully sub-$100?
Nothing sub $100 is going to fly like a DJI drone. You'd be better off keeping that money in your pocket and spending that time learning as much as you can about the Mavic. And while you're learning how to fly your Mavic, fly in a large open area that is free of all obstacles.

I disagree that nothing transfers from the cheap drones to DJI. Learning orientation and other such skills are important in case video/fpv feed fails, or the drone has an issue that causes it to go into ATTI.

Reactions: Scobo and OzoneVibe
I disagree that nothing transfers from the cheap drones to DJI. Learning orientation and other such skills are important in case video/fpv feed fails, or the drone has an issue that causes it to go into ATTI.
All for nothing and not to mean to revive an old post. Flying cheaper drones, the ones that doesn't hover on its own does help get your orientation in check.

I have flown so many of these cheap drones before getting my MPP and Spark and the throttling you have to do and trimming it from drifting and spinning on the cheap drones is a challenge. If you can do all that and fly it for the next couple minutes (because by the time you get it going) will help you.

I'm not saying that you should go out and buy a cheap drone while waiting for your spark or MPP to arrive but it does help you get your orientation.

Before flying the cheap drones I really needed to understand how it worked. When I finally decided to purchase an MPP and a spark all I needed to understand was how everything worked with the controller and did DJI Go app. Once I took off I knew exactly how to manipulate the Drone to do what I need to do. To top it all off it was so much easier to fly it because you didn't have to deal with trimming the Drone or throttling it to make it hover.

Of course once you get it you can just put in beginner's mode and learn it from there. :)

Coming late to the party, but I would recommend a Blade Inductrix, base model. With the controller it's about $60 USD, and it will teach orientation and throttle control. It's a great indoor flyer and with the ducted fans it's pretty rugged. Plus you can install a camera and with a cheap pair of goggles you now have a Tiny Whoop and can learn FPV without fear of losing a fortune.
Any chance to fly real beats a sim every time.
I
Jake

Last edited:
Getting a "trainer drone" before Mavic is like getting a unicycle before your tricycle arrives (and you've never ridden any type of bicycle before). You'll get nothing but frustration and crashes trying to ride that unicycle, while if you just wait, you start your learning from stable tricycle.

I made the same mistake. Bought Promark VR drone from Walmart for 100 bucks. Nothing but frustration. It's like riding a bull. Many crashes, luckily didn't break it, returned it after several days, wiped the cold sweat of horror from my forehead and knew that I WANT Mavic. :)

Reactions: Oconnb910
I was on the original pre-order list back in September, right after the announcement. When DJI emailed me saying they weren't going to meet their ship date, I cancelled my order and bought a Spark. It was fine as a "trainer drone" but looking back I wish I had just skipped the Spark and waited for the MPP.

I was on the original pre-order list back in September, right after the announcement. When DJI emailed me saying they weren't going to meet their ship date, I cancelled my order and bought a Spark. It was fine as a "trainer drone" but looking back I wish I had just skipped the Spark and waited for the MPP.
Honestly I originally was going to buy the MPP but with all of the little things you can do with a spark and how much more portable it is I could see myself carrying is far more around then the MPP itself. So what I did instead is I bought both.

Of course not everybody can do what I did and you have to choose one over the other but seriously after flying both I feel that you're not missing out much on one over the other as both have its Perks which in my opinion is portability versus video capturing capability. If you were doing more professional work I would say the mavic due to its 4K capability. But if it's for just fooling around the spark will probably meet what you need. In my opinion flying both felt very very similar and aside from what I just mentioned above really comes down to what you need it for.

Responding to the OP and thread title .....

Just been out with my old Phantom 2 ... so much fun!

Why?
(a) I'm past caring (much) what happens to it since it's worth little and
(b) switching to full manual mode is both challenging and fun. Flips, loops, etc.

Chances are you can pick up an operational P2 for not a lot of money.
GPS/ATTI(/Manual) modes can be set up to be switchable - so the GPS panic button is there if needed. (One day I'll try that half way through a flip. Could be entertaining!)

The only problem with the P2 is that genuine batteries no longer exist, but eBay has plenty of substitutes at sensible prices, and for my use, these days, more than adequate.

I had a U818A, they are $50 or less on ebay used and under $100 new. Not much of a drone but it taught me a lot for handling and being careful in general. Got my first crashes and stupid mistakes out of the way with it and it really made me appreciate how good the Mavic is.

New P2 batteries are still available (like here on Amazon).
But at a crazy price! Almost 50% more than they ever were originally.
Even just a battery wouldn't fit in the OP's $100 budget.

I would also seriously have to question if they are Genuine, since P2 batteries havn't been on DJI's shop for about a year. If not genuine .... $$$$$$$$$$

Last substitutes I bought on eBay in UK were £35 (~$40). Quite adequate.

I would also seriously have to question if they are Genuine
I've never seen Camrise sell 3rd party batteries. Like when buying anything online, ask the seller if you have any doubts.

I agree.
I started with a Bugs 3, it stood me in good stead for ATTI mode.
I've heard folk say they've struggled when they've lost the video feed for one reason or another.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa