DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Training course or just get out there?

JeffRUK

Reactions
Hi all. I am still thinking about buying a drone. As I mentioned in my previous post I am looking at the Mini Pro 3. Is it worth doing a training course for such a drone (any good ones out there?), or are they so intuitive that it’s simple to just go and fly it somewhere? Thoughts?

I just bought a mini 3 pro - my 3rd drone. Drone #1 was lost due to my stupidity. Drone #2 I still have but is damaged due to a crash - I thought I had learned enough from crash #1, but apparently not. I am really trying to not repeat my prior mistakes again. I really like the mini 3 pro with the RC controller.

All that said, my point is this - yes, these drones are easy to fly but there are several things that are CRITICAL if you want to keep from crashing them. My top three things are these:
  1. Always wait for "The Home point has been updated" message before flying - ALWAYS - if you do not have a good enough GPS lock to get this, don't fly there. All sorts of weird things can happen.
  2. Trees are NOT your drones friend
  3. Powerlines are NOT your drones friend
#2 and 3 are all about spatial awareness which is really important when flying a drone.

One comment I saw recently suggested you buy a cheap "disposable" drone to practice and get comfortable before you plunk down the money for a "real" drone. This is good advice, IMO.

There are lots of training videos on YouTube as well as "top 10 pilot mistakes" which would be good viewing - I've made a lot of those mistakes and am (hopefully) learning the hard way.

My last comment is just about becoming comfortable flying your drone, especially when it is coming towards you when all the controls are reversed. This takes practice. Becoming comfortable flying your drone will help if/when you get into a tight situation.

That really depends on you. If you practice in an open area with no obstacles (trees, hilines, towers) and away from aircraft. If you have reasonable hand eye coordination and common sense, then learn on your own or take an experienced rpic with you.

Read your owner's manual more than once.

Understand what it means to fly "recreationally." All uas pilots fly under part 107 these days even though they may not think they are. If you have no 107 certification then you are flying under an exception found where? In 49 CFR part 107. Break that exception's rules and you can be fined for flying without a license. This is not meant to be fear mongering. Flying is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Enjoy!

Edit to add: I see you are from the UK. Forget what I said about 107. Know the rules that apply to you. You sound like you'll do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JeffRUK
I just bought a mini 3 pro - my 3rd drone. Drone #1 was lost due to my stupidity. Drone #2 I still have but is damaged due to a crash - I thought I had learned enough from crash #1, but apparently not. I am really trying to not repeat my prior mistakes again. I really like the mini 3 pro with the RC controller.

All that said, my point is this - yes, these drones are easy to fly but there are several things that are CRITICAL if you want to keep from crashing them. My top three things are these:
  1. Always wait for "The Home point has been updated" message before flying - ALWAYS - if you do not have a good enough GPS lock to get this, don't fly there. All sorts of weird things can happen.
#2 and 3 are all about spatial awareness which is really important when flying a drone.

One comment I saw recently suggested you buy a cheap "disposable" drone to practice and get comfortable before you plunk down the money for a "real" drone. This is good advice, IMO.

There are lots of training videos on YouTube as well as "top 10 pilot mistakes" which would be good viewing - I've made a lot of those mistakes and am (hopefully) learning the hard way.

My last comment is just about becoming comfortable flying your drone, especially when it is coming towards you when all the controls are reversed. This takes practice. Becoming comfortable flying your drone will help if/when you get into a tight situation.
Thanks and good luck with the next one(s).

About 10 years ago I had a brief go on a drone (with only about an 8 minute flight time). I do not regard myself as inept (normally) but when it became a bit difficult to tell which way the drone was facing I got into a right mess! Maybe that’s an advantage of FPV?

About 10 years ago I had a brief go on a drone (with only about an 8 minute flight time). I do not regard myself as inept (normally) but when it became a bit difficult to tell which way the drone was facing I got into a right mess! Maybe that’s an advantage of FPV?

I've never done FPV but I don't think that will help - FPV basically is just the same view you'll have from the camera on a regular drone but it is more "immersive" since you have goggles on.

Getting comfortable with reverse controls is part of the practice which is really important. Years ago I flew RC planes and it has the same difficulty. At least with drones, if you get in trouble you can always let off the sticks and it will hover. RC planes don't have that same luxury.

The following link is something you should read fully:

It has great hints and tips to help avoid a crash or a flyaway as well as general best practices/rules for flying.

Some more tips offered for the first X hours of flying for new pilots. (Where X>>0. Say 8 to 10?)
  • Fly only in Cine mode. Be aware that the drone takes off in Normal mode no matter how the switch is set. Move the switch to another position and back to Cine soon after takeoff.
  • Don't use any of the automated flight modes - quick shots, follow-me, tracking, ...
  • Don't depend on obstacle avoidance features.
  • Don't use auto takeoff or landing.
  • Watch The Pilot Institute "Deep Dive" video for your drone model.
  • Fly in open areas without obstacles. Learn flight basics and build "muscle memory" for using the controls by flying a progression of simple maneuvers: Out and back (Get used to controls being "reversed" on return with drone facing you.) Box patterns. Figure eights.
  • Avoid flying sideways.
  • Don't be in a hurry. Build skills gradually. Don't get distracted by shooting photos and videos in the early flights.

I took a class from my local community college first, and then bought a Mini Pro 3. I found it helped in several ways.

A. I know most of the rules for US drone certification now. I’m not sure I would have comprehended things to tell someone if I was flying in the wrong place or somehow not following the rules.
B. Half the class was just flying. They had us use cheap drones (sub $100) to use to get used to controls, dealing with weather conditions, etc. I found it was very helpful in trying to figure out mine.
C. We actually had a battery fire during one session. That was very helpful in figuring out what to do/not do in a situation like that.
D. They’d also roll out the instructor’s high end drones, VR Goggles, etc. Gave a taste of what you could do with unlimited budgets.

Hope this helps.

@JeffRUK do get your operator ID which is displayed on the drone and also its worthwhile doing the Flyer ID course on the CAA website that is free and last for 5 years
as this is a world wide forum some of the info such as part 107 do not apply to flying a drone in the UK
having extra qualifications such as the A2 C of C, or the GVC ,will not unfortunately make you a better drone flyer but they do give you a good insight into the legality ,and understanding of airspace use,and are a good idea if you want to fly other than as a hobbyist
its a good idea to join one of the associations such as the BMFA or FPV UK as you will get third party liability insurance as part of the membership package
start off slowly find a large open area away from people if possible and just stay in Cine mode and fly forwards stop then go left or right stop come back stop then fly back sideways till you get back to where you set off from ,all the while with the camera facing away from you this is called flying squares practice that movement for say 10 times
then from the start position this time yaw (rotate) the drone so the camera is facing you ,and do the same thing 10 times but this time when you move the control sticks you will notice that the drone moves in the opposite direction
this is the hardest part to master but over time it becomes second nature during these moves keep the drone at about 4ft high and only use the right stick i know it sounds very boring and repetitive ,but that how over time you learn, then after you are comfortable with what the drone is going to do when you move the sticks ,in relation to its direction you can begin to combine the right stick and left stick to fly a circle and eventually you can fly figure of eights combining all the the three stick movements ,it just takes time to master it , good luck .its a lot easier to do than it is to write down

@JeffRUK do get your operator ID which is displayed on the drone and also its worthwhile doing the Flyer ID course on the CAA website that is free and last for 5 years
as this is a world wide forum some of the info such as part 107 do not apply to flying a drone in the UK
having extra qualifications such as the A2 C of C, or the GVC ,will not unfortunately make you a better drone flyer but they do give you a good insight into the legality ,and understanding of airspace use,and are a good idea if you want to fly other than as a hobbyist
its a good idea to join one of the associations such as the BMFA or FPV UK as you will get third party liability insurance as part of the membership package
start off slowly find a large open area away from people if possible and just stay in Cine mode and fly forwards stop then go left or right stop come back stop then fly back sideways till you get back to where you set off from ,all the while with the camera facing away from you this is called flying squares practice that movement for say 10 times
then from the start position this time yaw (rotate) the drone so the camera is facing you ,and do the same thing 10 times but this time when you move the control sticks you will notice that the drone moves in the opposite direction
this is the hardest part to master but over time it becomes second nature during these moves keep the drone at about 4ft high and only use the right stick i know it sounds very boring and repetitive ,but that how over time you learn, then after you are comfortable with what the drone is going to do when you move the sticks ,in relation to its direction you can begin to combine the right stick and left stick to fly a circle and eventually you can fly figure of eights combining all the the three stick movements ,it just takes time to master it , good luck .its a lot easier to do than it is to write down
That sounds good, thank you.

Reactions: old man mavic
Some more tips offered for the first X hours of flying for new pilots. (Where X>>0. Say 8 to 10?)
  • Fly only in Cine mode. Be aware that the drone takes off in Normal mode no matter how the switch is set. Move the switch to another position and back to Cine soon after takeoff.
  • Don't use any of the automated flight modes - quick shots, follow-me, tracking, ...
  • Don't depend on obstacle avoidance features.
  • Don't use auto takeoff or landing.
  • Watch The Pilot Institute "Deep Dive" video for your drone model.
  • Fly in open areas without obstacles. Learn flight basics and build "muscle memory" for using the controls by flying a progression of simple maneuvers: Out and back (Get used to controls being "reversed" on return with drone facing you.) Box patterns. Figure eights.
  • Avoid flying sideways.
  • Don't be in a hurry. Build skills gradually. Don't get distracted by shooting photos and videos in the early flights.
That’s great advice, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast

These look like good tips. Everyone is very helpful on this forum.

@JeffRUK ,for me being on this forum ,means if possible, i can help a new drone pilot to enjoy the hobby ,by passing on the knowledge that i have gained over the years, from others on this forum ,and from my own experiences of drone flying we all started somewhere ,and experience will come with time and effort

Buy a used DJI Mini, set it to ‘mode 2, fly the bejesus out of it, and when you’re comfortable going safely through everything from startup to shutdown procedures…go buy a Mini 3 Pro. Drones are not hard to fly when you obey the rules of the sky, but the lack of common sense will down you faster than you can say your name.

Safe and fun flying

🇨🇦👍

Buy a used DJI Mini, set it to ‘mode 2, fly the bejesus out of it, and when you’re comfortable going safely through everything from startup to shutdown procedures…go buy a Mini 3 Pro. Drones are not hard to fly when you obey the rules of the sky, but the lack of common sense will down you faster than you can say your name.

Safe and fun flying

🇨🇦👍
That sounds like a good idea.

Hi all. I am still thinking about buying a drone. As I mentioned in my previous post I am looking at the Mini Pro 3. Is it worth doing a training course for such a drone (any good ones out there?), or are they so intuitive that it’s simple to just go and fly it somewhere? Thoughts?
You’re in the UK as am I and therefore we have the same problem - the UK weather. At this time of year we can go days and sometimes weeks being unable to fly a small drone (or any drone for that matter) much outside. One solution to filling in the time waiting is education, either self-education on forums or youtube etc or take an online course or two. This is what I decided to do since frankly the weather this March/April has been pants so it wasn’t an either-or decision! :) I chose to do an online A2CofC course with Copterz (not far from you in Leeds I think) not because I needed to but for something useful to do while waiting for the weather to improve. Ultimately you have to get out and fly but in between you may as well do something useful that moves you along a bit in your knowledge.

Nix the”mini” idea.
Air 2S would be the better decision.
Some of the more prevalent issues seen on this form are not paying attention to where your drone is, awareness of ferrous metal that should be avoided and obstacles that tend to grab drones.
Find an open space and practice. Altitude is your buddy. Drone grabbing obstacles are generally below 150 feet AGL.
Have some fun and be safe!177E3DED-A400-4F74-B633-3FF93349E6B6.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser