DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Training drone

Calhoun Ranger

Reactions
I am a Mavic and M2P owner, and a remote pilot certificate holder. I am planning to hold some classes for some 4-H youth aged 12 to 16 to teach them about drones. I will be using Mavic Minis; however, I would like to get two "trainer" drones for testing their basic flight skills before they touch the Minis.
Can anyone recommend some drones that are less than $100 and have these basics: ?
- Camera NOT important
- Stick controls basically match Mavic
- Flight time per battery at least 12 minutes
- Easy battery changeout with spare batteries available for purchase
- Low risk of flyaway
- Smart phone NOT required
- Decent hovering ability
- Enough "heft" that they don't fly like toys

Thanks for your assistance!

Keith Dunnaway
dba NW GA Drone Guy

Got my (almost) 6 y/o grandson flying a Force1 Blujay. Durable and performs well from it’s included controller w/o a phone. Durable... he’s crashed it several times and it still works as new. Range is not reliable and it should be kept within 250 or so feet of the controller to prevent fly away. Batteries Only last about 7-8 min. They are $50-$90.

DJI Tello's would be the safest and most complimentary to the MM.
They have a stable hover even if inside due to the vision system.

They also have a EDU version for programming

check out the Tello FPV app

Reactions: pelagic_one
DJI Tello's would be the safest and most complimentary to the MM.
They have a stable hover even if inside due to the vision system.

They also have a EDU version for programming

check out the Tello FPV app

Much as I enjoy my Tello, they won't do for his purposes since he doesn't want to require a smart phone plus you'd need to get physical controllers if you want to mimic the MM layout.

Reactions: dirkclod
Much as I enjoy my Tello, they won't do for his purposes since he doesn't want to require a smart phone plus you'd need to get physical controllers if you want to mimic the MM layout.

I guess it will be a trade-off, many of the drones with MM like flight capability often require apps on phones.
I'd be training the students with an app based drone as this will approximate how the MM will operate when they move up.

I agree the Tello is the most similar to operate to DJI products but a good cheap quad with stabilization and hover capability with a dedicated controller purchased for a reasonable price will get kids learning to fly. Unfortunately many require a phone these days. Some that don't require a phone are those that the camera is an add on feature such as a go-pro. Most of those are large enough for using in mild winds. Force F100GP is one. I don't have one or have flown one but have a couple friends with MJX bugs 3 and those are similar. They seem easy to fly but not quite a Mini feel. One thing to consider is if you have a GPS model with ground sensors, some of those hover more accurately if you let go of the sticks which is better than those w/o GPS. That means you might make it easier for kids prepping to fly a DJI drone. My Syma X5 is a tough sucker but takes a bit for a newbie to learn how to control it. JMO

Get several Eachine E58 drones they cost less than
$35 from Bangood.com. Great drone for teaching and learning to fly.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU