DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transitions lenses? too dark?

Pyrate

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi, guy's I cannot be that I am the only one with this issue, but here it is:
When I am out in the sun, my transition lenses they turn dark as the should. But when I look at my very nice Smart Controller - I cannot see it very well it is too dark!! Then when I have to take my glasses off, the screen looks great! BUT guess what I NEED GLASSES! My line of sight is not very far without my glasses on!

Mine turn very dark in cold temperatures and i use my old non transition glasses in winter months , in the summer i have no problem .

Mine turn very dark in cold temperatures and i use my old non transition glasses in winter months , in the summer i have no problem .
good to know, i have only had my drone in the winter months. looking forward to warm weather flying;-)

I have the same problem. When I have an observer along, I'll take the glasses off and fly via the screen alone but that isn't satisfactory when I need to see the drone.

Next time I get glasses, I may forgo the transition lenses and use some reasonable clip-ons. At one point my optometrist had a line of frames that had model-specific clip-ons that weren't as ugly as most and seemed to perform pretty well optically. An added benefit would be being able to drive with them as well. Most transition lenses I've had fail to darken behind a glass windshield.

Howard

When I am out in the sun, my transition lenses they turn dark as the should. But when I look at my very nice Smart Controller - I cannot see it very well it is too dark!! Then when I have to take my glasses off, the screen looks great! BUT guess what I NEED GLASSES! My line of sight is not very far without my glasses on!
I think I will have the same problem with my lenses when I finally go outside....if the weather will cooperate. It's a problem I never thought about until reading your post.

I think I will have the same problem with my lenses when I finally go outside....if the weather will cooperate. It's a problem I never thought about until reading your post.
I have always had transition lenses so the thought never occurred to me until I was out flying this Winter. It was really bright out that day. Then it was; I can't see the screen - OH - will take my glasses off- WAIT A MINUTE - NOW I CAN'T SEE!!!

I wear multi-focal contacts. These instantly focus from every hair eon my hand to infinity. When in bright sun, sunglasses with a string allow them to be dropped to chest when viewing Smart Controller and if necessary, quickly put back over eyes. Note:
SC brightness Auto is disabled and brightness slider is all the way left to brightest. Have never needed sun hood.

I have the same problem with my transition glasses but I have to put up with it as I get migraine in bright sunlight so normal glasses are a no go for me.

Zenni would be an option for a spare set of glasses just to fly with.
I used to pay 350. or so a pair. I do just fine with a 40. dollar set from Zenni

I gave up on transitions and just went the prescription sunglasses route. As @hiflyer201 mentioned, online eyeglass vendors like Zenni make it very cheap to have extra sets.

Reactions: Thomas B
I gave up on transitions and just went the prescription sunglasses route. As @hiflyer201 mentioned, online eyeglass vendors like Zenni make it very cheap to have extra sets.
That would be OK if I didn’t have vary focal lenses, without them I wouldn’t be able to see the screen and the drone without swapping sun glasses ?

I just got new glasses and considered the photo grays, but now I'm kinda glad I just chose to do a regular pair and a pair of separate sunglasses. They do also have the clip on shades available, and now even magnetic clip on which actually look very good. I can't think of a way to overcome your problem here however. I don't think there is a way to reduce the amount that darken.

That would be OK if I didn’t have vary focal lenses, without them I wouldn’t be able to see the screen and the drone without swapping sun glasses ?
When you say "vary focal lenses", do you mean like bifocal or trifocal? The sunglasses that I have from Zenni are progressive lenses, basically trifocal without the lines. That jacked the price up, but still cheaper than from the local eye glass vendors.

When you say "vary focal lenses", do you mean like bifocal or trifocal? The sunglasses that I have from Zenni are progressive lenses, basically trifocal without the lines. That jacked the price up, but still cheaper than from the local eye glass vendors.
They are progressive trifocal reaction lenses with no lines.
Like I posted earlier I can’t look up at a bright sky without them or I get migraine, if I had clear lenses I would have to use clip on sun shades over them so it would end up the same viewing the SC

They are progressive trifocal reaction lenses with no lines.
Like I posted earlier I can’t look up at a bright sky without them or I get migraine, if I had clear lenses I would have to use clip on sun shades over them so it would end up the same viewing the SC
That's what I usually wear. The sunglasses are polarized but they work OK with my phone and tablet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82