DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transmission Definition-HD vs Smooth

samt2

Reactions
Ref: DJI Fly App

Can someone please explain exactly what this is, and when would you use one over the other? Are there any advantages between the two?

I've done a Google search and haven't found anything that gave a good explanation or made sense to me. One search result talked about selecting HD when you are filming in anything higher than 1080p, and use smooth when filming in 720 or 1080p. This makes no sense to me. Why would that setting be under the Transmission tab and not under the Camera tab?

My thoughts were that the controlling transmissions caused the aircraft to respond more abruptly in HD and had a slower, smoother response in the Smooth setting. IDK. It's not explained in the DJI MA2 Manual, so just guessing.

Thanks

I have DJI Go 4, but I think this is also true for the DJI Fly app.

Video and photographs are recorded on the Micro SD card on the drone. So whatever transmission is set to makes no difference to the video quality..

What I think this refers to is that it's possible to connect 3D goggles for flying the drone. It may be that smooth means the quality is lower, giving a faster and smoother result when wearing goggles, and the other setting is for tablet or phone use. It's only for viewing the video coming back - the drone flying is unaffected by this.

When the setting is in HD, the video feed to your phone is 1080p. If you happen to start to get a weak signal, you might notice that the image stutters a little. Changing this setting to Smooth will lower the video transmission to 720p which is easier for the drone to transmit to your phone, so this might "smooth out" the video feed to your phone. Neither will have any effect on the video recording to the SD card. Hope the "smooths out" the confusion for you.

Thanks for the answer. Helps a bunch! This info should have been somewhere in the DJI manual for the MA2.

Reactions: kjcbid54
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54