DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transport Canada Enforcement Officer

blackomega

Reactions
I could use some help

I have been flying for just over a year now. My flights focus mainly on ship spotting plus trains and nice scenery.
Last week i was filming a ferry leaving its berth. Made a video about it and posted to youtube. Even the crew of the boat including one its captains
were thrilled about the video and helped me share it around.

Then things got weird
I received an email from a Transport Canada Enforcement Officer
They wanted me to provide information of the drone operator and a summary of the incident.

This freaked me out and I immediately made all my youtube videos as the enforcement officer subscribed to my channel
and i noticed that similar videos were starting to get lots of views

I replied
The video in question was filmed by a licensed drone operator using a registered drone.
All Transport Canada regulations and guidelines were followed. If you could give me a bit more information on the nature of the report or complaint,
I would be more than happy to clarify.

All i received back was
"The complainant is concerned about aviation safety. I would like to confirm if you were the operator of the incident."

I may have jumped the gun but decided in good faith to be truthful and replied

" Yes I was the principal operator In the before mentioned video. "

I did not include my actual name or license and registration numbers.

Any thoughts out there

Reactions: Hauptmann
Sounds about how things went in Germany during World War II.
I was in Vancouver a bit ago, and there are lots of charter float planes in that area, so that could be an issue.
How chicken **** of them to not give details, but say you have an accuser. Do tell this story on Youtube if they hassle you, though they might put that in your "file".

Well there were no seaplanes in the area. I had my wife there as a spotter for me. I am not stupid enough to fly around other aircraft

Totally, you have your act together. Do post as you find out info. Seems several posts recently are on Canada's great ideas about drones.

i have yet to get a reply from them. Torn between leaving it be or following up with them. the same goes for my youtube channel. keep it down or put it back up. Most of my videos sit in that grey area of being legal or not

I could use some help

I have been flying for just over a year now. My flights focus mainly on ship spotting plus trains and nice scenery.
Last week i was filming a ferry leaving its berth. Made a video about it and posted to youtube. Even the crew of the boat including one its captains
were thrilled about the video and helped me share it around.

Then things got weird
I received an email from a Transport Canada Enforcement Officer
They wanted me to provide information of the drone operator and a summary of the incident.

This freaked me out and I immediately made all my youtube videos as the enforcement officer subscribed to my channel
and i noticed that similar videos were starting to get lots of views

I replied
The video in question was filmed by a licensed drone operator using a registered drone.
All Transport Canada regulations and guidelines were followed. If you could give me a bit more information on the nature of the report or complaint,
I would be more than happy to clarify.

All i received back was
"The complainant is concerned about aviation safety. I would like to confirm if you were the operator of the incident."

I may have jumped the gun but decided in good faith to be truthful and replied

" Yes I was the principal operator In the before mentioned video. "

I did not include my actual name or license and registration numbers.

Any thoughts out there
Sounds like they may have been checking up to see if you have a pilot certificate and a registered drone' if you don't hear back from the matter again I would just not bother with it. I'm in Canada nova scotia and I know some of our regulations are way over the top. I have my pilot certificate for small basic' and I don't think it is fair for us to have to rewrite the exam every two years I don't mind paying a small fee to renew my certificate ' but to rewrite the exam every two years is not a fair rule. So with that being said if any Canadian drone pilots would like to start a petition to try to have this rule changed I would be more than happy to do my part and more so please spread the word .

Reactions: Towlem
I wouldn't tell him anything. Just don't post videos that could incriminate you such as flying over a crowd of people, flying at very high altitudes, etc.

probably some member of the public has either complained about you flying near the ferry, or someone has complained about one of your videos ,on the CAA website there is a section that encourages the public to report anything that they feel breaks the drone code rules to the CAA who then have to investigate if any rules have been broken
they were just checking to see if you are legit

It will be interesting to see where this goes. You have all of our support!
I your from Ontario how do you feel about having to rewrite your pilot certificate exams every two years ? I have a petition started on here to try to change that rule I don't mind paying a small fee every two years to renew my pilot certificate but I don't think we should have to rewrite the exams every two years.

I your from Ontario how do you feel about having to rewrite your pilot certificate exams every two years ? I have a petition started on here to try to change that rule I don't mind paying a small fee every two years to renew my pilot certificate but I don't think we should have to rewrite the exams every two years.

Think about the personal watercraft operator card. It’s a one time only thing. Yes I am fine with a small fee. Boats are more dangerous don’t you think?

Reactions: pawnie and Scooped
AGREE

...I have my pilot certificate for small basic' and I don't think it is fair for us to have to rewrite the exam every two years I don't mind paying a small fee to renew my certificate ' but to rewrite the exam every two years is not a fair rule.
At present "recency" does not require you to rewrite. "
Refer to paragraph 421.05(2)(d) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations(CARs).
Completion of this questionnaire satisfies the 24 month recurrent training program requirements of CAR401.05(2)(a). It is to be retained by the pilot."

You could do an open records request for all the files, emails, calls etc. that they have in this case.

Reactions: Chip
At present "recency" does not require you to rewrite. "
Refer to paragraph 421.05(2)(d) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations(CARs).
Completion of this questionnaire satisfies the 24 month recurrent training program requirements of CAR401.05(2)(a). It is to be retained by the pilot."

I checked your link but itlooks like we still have to answer a lot of questions I think our pilot certificate should be a one time thing with only a renewal with a small fee . I'm in Canada so the regulations are not the same as USA

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
The secret drone police strike again “eh”
I’m to in Canada Alberta .
I would be willing to sign your petition.
Transport Canada are determined to kill of our hobby or that’s the impression I get .
I too would like to hear if there is an update to your encounter with T.C .
I’m sorry this happened to you .

The secret drone police strike again “eh”
I’m to in Canada Alberta .
I would be willing to sign your petition.
Transport Canada are determined to kill of our hobby or that’s the impression I get .
I too would like to hear if there is an update to your encounter with T.C .
I’m sorry this happened to you .
Are you on face book ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike