DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel advice-packing my MA2.

twickers14

Reactions
I know this is an old chestnut but so am I so forgive me if you are all tired of the subject-one more time! We’re traveling to the US at the end of this month (Covid permitting) and I shall be taking my MA2. All Registered up with the FAA and have my Trust done and dusted. Just wanted to ask re packing my kit. I plan to pack the drone with a battery installed and RC in dji Fly More bag in hold luggage for trans-Atlantic flights U.K./US and internal with Jet Blue. For the same flights I plan to pack 2 spare batteries in individual Lipo bags along with the charger (the three battery unit) in my cabin baggage. All batteries will be discharged down to recommended levels 1-2 flashing. Having checked with the FAA they helpfully referred me to my airlines for advice but the FAA have a good site with details on what and how to pack this type of kit and I think I have followed their instructions. I have taken my Spark over there before and have had no problems. Any additional advice is very welcome.

Personally I would not leave a battery in the drone. Drones transported with the battery installed have been known to get switched on in transit. If that happened in the fly more bag the drone could get hot due to lack of ventilation.

Perhaps check the airline’s website for clarification. I believe most airlines require batteries to be in carry on luggage and not in your checked bags. When I travel with my mini I store it in the hard case and put it my carry on. Never had an issue.

I know this is an old chestnut but so am I so forgive me if you are all tired of the subject-one more time! We’re traveling to the US at the end of this month (Covid permitting) and I shall be taking my MA2. All Registered up with the FAA and have my Trust done and dusted. Just wanted to ask re packing my kit. I plan to pack the drone with a battery installed and RC in dji Fly More bag in hold luggage for trans-Atlantic flights U.K./US and internal with Jet Blue. For the same flights I plan to pack 2 spare batteries in individual Lipo bags along with the charger (the three battery unit) in my cabin baggage. All batteries will be discharged down to recommended levels 1-2 flashing. Having checked with the FAA they helpfully referred me to my airlines for advice but the FAA have a good site with details on what and how to pack this type of kit and I think I have followed their instructions. I have taken my Spark over there before and have had no problems. Any additional advice is very welcome.
Naturally I have flown everywhere in the US, and internationally, with my drone. I usually use American Airlines in the US, but have used others such as Delta and United. I always put my drone with the battery inserted in my carry on bag and in the overhead. I also carry the controller and 2 extra batteries in Lipo cases (Amazon) in the carry on in the in overhead. They always ask me about lithium batteries at check in and I always say no because the MHZ of the batteries falls under the airlines regulations. I check through in checked luggage all the non-valuable parts such as the charger, cords, etc.

Perhaps check the airline’s website for clarification. I believe most airlines require batteries to be in carry on luggage and not in your checked bags. When I travel with my mini I store it in the hard case and put it my carry on. Never had an issue.
Done that and think I’ve got it right. Will see when I get there! Thanks for your thoughts.

Naturally I have flown everywhere in the US, and internationally, with my drone. I usually use American Airlines in the US, but have used others such as Delta and United. I always put my drone with the battery inserted in my carry on bag and in the overhead. I also carry the controller and 2 extra batteries in Lipo cases (Amazon) in the carry on in the in overhead. They always ask me about lithium batteries at check in and I always say no because the MHZ of the batteries falls under the airlines regulations. I check through in checked luggage all the non-valuable parts such as the charger, cords, etc.
Thanks for this. Perhaps I will take the battery out of the drone before placing in hold luggage. I have 3 Lipos for the 3 batteries in my Fly More Combo so will have those in my carry on. Were you asked about the batteries at check in or did you say you had them?

Thanks Dale. Sorry to take so long to acknowledge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute