DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel prep

dbyantis

Reactions
I will need to discharge my Mavic Pro batteries prior to an airplane flight. If I set the discharge time on each battery to 1 day, does anyone know how long it takes for a smart battery to discharge?

I imagine it would be pretty slow since it isn't actually doing much but generating heat. And since heat is bad for batteries, I would suspect they keep it to a minimum. That's all speculation though. Maybe someone that has done it will jump in to give a definitive answer soon. One thing you could do to help it along is maybe use the USB connector to charge a battery pack or something like that.

why do you need to discharge before a flight? I've heard of having to do that before.

FAA is actual the ruling authority here. The TSA repeats a portion of the FAA requirements here. But specifically links to the FAA URL. As long as the batteries are less than 100Wh (Mavic Pro are 43.6 Wh) you can actually carry as many as you want and there is no mention of charge status. One thing to note is that the battery should be protected from short circuit. This can be a number of ways. I carry mine is a case with the Mavic or I put silicone caps over the connectors if they are loose.

I’m in Cancun, MX as I write this post....I took the MP with 3 fully charged batteries through TSA at Chicago O’Hare Airport. I had rubber caps in place and used LiPo bags as an extra measure but just went through the regular X-ray scan. I did have to take the electronics out of the back pack and put them In tray but they did not question the contents.

I’ll post info regarding my return flight and the baggage security at Cancun Airport. I not anticipating any problems based on prior internet research but we’ll see what happens.

I’m in Cancun, MX as I write this post....I took the MP with 3 fully charged batteries through TSA at Chicago O’Hare Airport. I had rubber caps in place and used LiPo bags as an extra measure but just went through the regular X-ray scan. I did have to take the electronics out of the back pack and put them In tray but they did not question the contents.

I’ll post info regarding my return flight and the baggage security at Cancun Airport. I not anticipating any problems based on prior internet research but we’ll see what happens.
I have a trip to Cancun in October, so I am interested in how the Mavic travels though MX customs, both ways.

Please do post about coming back through cancun airport. I leave in 30 days for akumal mexico and plan on bringing my mavic

It's an OLD saying but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Dustproof Plug Cover For DJI Mavic Pro Drone and Battery Terminal Contact Points

I bought these, or something like them and just used them a couple days ago and when I unpacked everything a couple had fallen off. The batteries were separated and in their own little space in a Lowe-Pro bag so it was no big deal but for those thinking about these you might want to tape them on. And if you're going to need tape, that will cover the terminals and you don't need these covers.

No problem on the return flight from Cancun Airport. I did not have to remove the Mavic Pro or accessories (including batteries) from my carry on suitcase. It was easier clearing the airport in Mexico than it was in the USA, but I understand and appreciate the precautions. I flew the MP along a deserted part of the beach in Playa Mujeres about 1/4 mile from my hotel. No problems except I had to wait for the winds to die down. I suggest tyring to fly in the early morning or late afternoon if winds are a problem.

Reactions: dbyantis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent