DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel with the Mavic: My experience and some tips.

Robert Mitchell

Reactions
First, I don't pretend to be an experienced international traveler. I'll leave advice on that up to others who are.

I've traveled extensively over the years with other drones and some now with the Mavic, but never before on a commercial airline, and never across an international border.

I had the opportunity to travel the Northeast U.S. and Canada, and almost left the Mavic behind due to concerns about inconvenience and unfamiliarity with local laws and regulations. It is somewhat sad that it has come to that complete feeling of uncertainty.

I'm now glad I talked myself out of leaving it at home.

We flew from NC to Boston, U.S. and then drove across the border into Nova Scotia. I packed the Mavic fly-more into carry-on with the extra battery terminals taped. I had previously researched the airline policy for the limits of lithium allowed, and the Mavic and three batteries are well within them. At no point was the Mavic scrutinized or even questioned.

I understand the international flights might be a different story now and it might not be so straightforward with those. Do your research, and others can chime in with the details for this type of travel.

I researched in advance the airspace restrictions in the areas I was going to be and planned on flying in places where there were none. While in the U.S. I was able to get current airspace info from Airmap but, not willing to pay exorbitant cell fees, I took screenshots of the airspace areas in Canada to use while offline. I also cached Google Maps for the area and remained offline the entire time unless on Wi-Fi at the Motel.

For sake of reference, I am still on .0400.

No, I did not, have not, and will not calibrate the compass unless directed to do so by the software. As usual, everything worked perfectly, thousands of miles from my home base.

Some tips:

1. Do plan to pack your Mavic in the carry-on, as I think all domestic airlines now mandate this, at least for the batteries. Also, you'll have quick access to it in case of security questioning.

2. Don't think you will be able to fly when and everywhere you want. Many places attractive to tourists tend to have an abundance of airports. Notifying them all is sometimes impractical or impossible in a short time span.

3. When going across the border, cache your maps, both land and airspace unless you have a good travel cell plan. Leave your device in airplane mode. The Mavic flies perfectly well that way.

4. Don't plan on flying in National Parks no matter what country you are in. Unfortunately they are all off limits here, and in Canada, and will remain so, until the officials pull their heads out and figure how to incorporate them into tens of thousands of square miles where they would disturb no one. But that is a well worn discussion, and you simply don't want to leave your confiscated Mavic behind.

5. Use common sense when in unfamiliar or questionable areas. Launch and land as far away from people as possible, and don't fly directly over them. In some of my video it might appear that I was over folks, but believe me, at no time was I DIRECTLY over anyone. I didn't want to be that guy on CNN who clobbered someone with a defective drone.

I had nothing but positive responses from anyone I came in contact with. Pretty sure, very few were even aware my Mavic was around.

And last, can anyone tell me why I still only have the US "footprint" on my Go-4? I was looking forward to having a Canadian flag as well.

If I made a mistake somewhere, so be it. I gave it my best shot.

Here are the results of my efforts, and if anyone is interested I'll give you the settings used:

Last edited:
Wouldn't call myself an "experienced" international traveler but I've taken a few with the Mavic recently

Went from JFK > SEL > HAN > SGN > SIN > DPS > BKK > TPE > JFK with absolutely zero issues in the airports. I only travel with a carry on if that helps. Also just in the past couple of weeks I went to CTG also no issues. A few weeks prior to that I was in BRU / AMS for a festival but since the vendor explicitly banned drones and we were camping I decided not to bring it at all. Apparently BRU also has very strict drone laws so guess that worked out anyways.

The only time I had issues at the airport with the Mavic was surprisingly JFK > BOS, the Mavic was fairly new at the time and all they did was open my luggage and swabbed for explosives or drugs or whatever that thing is for. I had asked TSA why was the bag chosen she mentioned that since there were so many batteries and the drone itself was blocking a lot of the x-ray and had mention if you leave it in a separate bin similar to laptops it will be easier which I did on the return flight without any issues.

Only issues I've ever had flying was in Hanoi near Ngoc Son Temple? that was a strict NFZ on the DJI app and my first time seeing it. The radius was huge. Had to go a few blocks out of the way to get her up but didn't even bother trying to fly close to the NFZ not to mention the air is completely filled with smog so not the most cinematic footage.

Anyways hope that helps anyone planning to travel.

Edit: Bonus excerpt: while we were doing the motobike trip from North Vietnam to South I set the drone to active track while we were on the HCMC trail and my heart has never dropped faster. I saw a tree with branches up ahead, promptly stopped the bike had a feeling the drone would drift forward a bit and hit the tree which I guessed right. Luckily she recovered and hovered because literally under the drone was a 2000 ft drop off the side of the mountain, one of the first days of filming that would've sucked.

Also when we were in the Fairy Stream? near Mui Ne, battery was running low got her back within maybe 6 inches of my reach then RTH kicked in, I catch her as she was going up. Tried to force the landing via controller and swipe to land she would not stop the RTH and was fighting my grip. Never have I held on harder. Even putting the two joysticks down and in and out didn't stop the propellers after about a minute or two (which felt like an eternity) of fighting I reached over with my other hand and had to manually remove the battery. That was also scary. because if she had successfully RTH she would've flew straight into a waterfall or probably never even made it on the battery left.

Last edited:
Wouldn't call myself an "experienced" international traveler but I've taken a few with the Mavic recently

Went from JFK > SEL > HAN > SGN > SIN > DPS > BKK > TPE > JFK with absolutely zero issues in the airports. I only travel with a carry on if that helps. Also just in the past couple of weeks I went to CTG also no issues. A few weeks prior to that I was in BRU / AMS for a festival but since the vendor explicitly banned drones and we were camping I decided not to bring it at all. Apparently BRU also has very strict drone laws so guess that worked out anyways.

The only time I had issues at the airport with the Mavic was surprisingly JFK > BOS, the Mavic was fairly new at the time and all they did was open my luggage and swabbed for explosives or drugs or whatever that thing is for. I had asked TSA why was the bag chosen she mentioned that since there were so many batteries and the drone itself was blocking a lot of the x-ray and had mention if you leave it in a separate bin similar to laptops it will be easier which I did on the return flight without any issues.

Only issues I've ever had flying was in Hanoi near Ngoc Son Temple? that was a strict NFZ on the DJI app and my first time seeing it. The radius was huge. Had to go a few blocks out of the way to get her up but didn't even bother trying to fly close to the NFZ not to mention the air is completely filled with smog so not the most cinematic footage.

Edit: Bonus excerpt: while we were doing the motobike trip from North Vietnam to South I set the drone to active track while we were on the HCMC trail and my heart has never dropped faster. I saw a tree with branches up ahead, promptly stopped the bike had a feeling the drone would drift forward a bit and hit the tree which I guessed right. Luckily she recovered and hovered because literally under the drone was a 2000 ft drop off the side of the mountain, one of the first days of filming that would've sucked.

Also when we were in the Fairy Stream? near Mui Ne, battery was running low got her back within maybe 6 inches of my reach then RTH kicked in, I catch her as she was going up. Tried to force the landing via controller and swipe to land she would not stop the RTH and was fighting my grip. Never have I held on harder. Even putting the two joysticks down and in and out didn't stop the propellers after about a minute or two (which felt like an eternity) of fighting I reached over with my other hand and had to manually remove the battery. That was also scary. because if she had successfully RTH she would've flew straight into a waterfall or probably never even made it on the battery left.

I just came from HEL (yes, that is the designation for Helsinki, Finland) and they could not care less about drones. It is the batteries that they cared about. I had to show them all three and once that, they were good to go. When leaving to return via JFK, they too asked about the batteries. I guess drones are no longer an issue, but the batteries contained inside. All in all I think traveling is easier. It just depends on if the local country allows drone flying. I may take one with me to Japan to see if I can get permission to fly.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Great video from start to finish! Would love to know what settings you used. Really nailed it!
Thanks! So settings were:
Size: 4K, 30 fps.
Style: custom, -1, 0, 0
Color: normal
Exp: auto, except locked on some scenes.
White Bal: auto, also locked with some scenes.
ND filters: none at darkest (overcast) locations, 4 at partly cloudy locations, and 16 at sunny locations.
Flight mode: normal (no tripod, cinema, etc,)
Gimbal rotation is dialed way down, I think around 3,5 percent of normal.
Video editing: Premire Elements.
Some exposure tuning using shadows and highlights, but mostly just slight exposure tuning in adjustments.
Some WB adjustment in Bay of Fundy late day overcast.
Slight vibrancy increase overall, (+25).

Reactions: Roo

Thanks for your input.
Any compass calibration necessary?

Just as an FYI most countries are MUCH more liberated from service providers than the US.
What we do is just buy a prepaid SIM in Europe and pop it in. Most if not all LTE phones have the necessary bands to operate in Europe. Not sure about Canada - just relaying how we do it in Europe.

I recently flew from Tampa to Portland OR and brought my mavic. Carried it on in a travel case with 3 batteries taped and unattached to the craft along with 2 extra charging sticks for the controller and tablet. No questions asked by security. It went through the scanner and nothing changed in settings or performance. I checked everything before flying. I hope all future travelling goes so smoothly.
link to Mt. Hood video.

I recently flew from Tampa to Portland OR and brought my mavic. Carried it on in a travel case with 3 batteries taped and unattached to the craft along with 2 extra charging sticks for the controller and tablet. No questions asked by security. It went through the scanner and nothing changed in settings or performance. I checked everything before flying. I hope all future travelling goes so smoothly.
link to Mt. Hood video.
Thanks for the input, and nice work!

I just returned from a 10 day golf trip to Southwest Ireland. Brought my Mavic and Spark and had a great time playing and flying. No hassles taking them on the aircraft and all of the courses said have at it. The birds handled the wind except for 1 day when it was raining on and off and winds were 28 gusting to 35. No NFZ's.

Great trip and flying the birds was icing on the cake. All in I got about 70 minutes of footage.

Wonderful video and smooth flying. Loved it. Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland, Hong Kong and Australia with my trusty Mavic. Never quizzed or asked about the Mavic. Always took it and 3 batteries as hand luggage. Flew on following airlines, Iceland Air, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, SAS and Qantas. However one word of caution with Emirates Airline :
Emirates accept drones as checked-in baggage only

I also just returned from a Alaska and Canada trip. Took a cruze to/through Alaska and the ship confiscated my Mavic and held it in the purser's office until we returned to port in Vancouver 7days later so no Alaska flying. Spent most of my time in Canadian National Parks which although not always clear expected that they were no drone zones so wasn't able to get any footage after 20 days.

Great videos. Here's my experience traveling to Cancun, Mexico (after days of struggling whether to bring my new toy). I am glad I did:

Before you get there:
  • Make sure you do your research of local ordinances & regulations - no matter where you fly (legal air spaces). If there is a NFZ on the list, respect it - so you do not lose your quad to local authorities. It is not worth trying to argue your point. Local authorities have power over you, not the other way.
  • I called the hotel one week before arriving letting them know that I intended to fly my drone. They told me there was no problem flying in the resort areas as long as I don't fly too low, to fast, or too close to the general public. Make sure the tell the front desk as to when you plan to fly, most of the time, they just want you to enjoy the trip.
Flying there:
  • Packed my MP in my carry-on along with my DSLR. Everything fit nicely in my carry-on camera bags. Batteries were tape with black electrical tape and stored in Ziploc bags. They were stored in the other carry-on luggage.
  • TSA did not inquiry about my MP.
  • Make sure to make a copy of your invoice just in case you have to pay a fee (of what I've read online) when arriving at Cancun. I did not have to show it at Cancun airport PHEW!
  • Don't flaunt your toy. Only respond when asked. Don't take it out if you don't have to.
  • If the custom agents inquiry about the drone, just say you are on vacation and would like to capture beautiful beaches and landscapes of their country so you can share it with the people back home. That will get you through the lines quickly.
Going through custom at Cancun:
  • Nothing happened. They checked my passport, asked where, how long, and purpose of trip.
  • When through xray machine and no questions asked (PHEW again!)
At the hotel:
  • Since I wanted to catch the sunrise, I woke up early to test.
First issue: condensation on gimbal. Leaving from an A/C hotel room to the beach (80 degrees at 5 AM) created such condensation on the lens that I had to wait for a while to wipe off the excess moisture. I tried again the next day by leaving the drone in the case and left on the hotel porch for about 15 - 20 minutes for the drone to equalize with outside temperatures. That seemed to help a lot.

Second issue: High winds. I was not sure what the wind speed was, but strong enough for me to stay close to shore. However, the wind added some nice effect to the blowing palm leaves.

Third issue: sand on the beach. Since I did not carry the landing pad with me, I resorted to using one of the flat beach chairs as a landing zone. I did not want the props to stir up the sand.
The hotel staff was pleasant. One asked if he could come with me to watch me fly.​
Since waking up early to catch the sunrise, there were only a few staff people and early risers on the beach making it ideal for my flights. I wish I could fly a bit further out, but the high winds kept me at bay most of the time. Oh well, I still have my MP.

Overall, I am glad I brought my MP with me to Mexico. Please note that, by no means, my experience in Mexico is considered the "norm". It can go either way. It is hard to predict how the local authorities will react. "Fly at your own risk" would be my last advise.

Good luck and keep on droning!

Watch my very first drone clips here:

Great videos. Here's my experience traveling to Cancun, Mexico (after days of struggling whether to bring my new toy). I am glad I did:

Before you get there:
  • Make sure you do your research of local ordinances & regulations - no matter where you fly (legal air spaces). If there is a NFZ on the list, respect it - so you do not lose your quad to local authorities. It is not worth trying to argue your point. Local authorities have power over you, not the other way.
  • I called the hotel one week before arriving letting them know that I intended to fly my drone. They told me there was no problem flying in the resort areas as long as I don't fly too low, to fast, or too close to the general public. Make sure the tell the front desk as to when you plan to fly, most of the time, they just want you to enjoy the trip.
Flying there:
  • Packed my MP in my carry-on along with my DSLR. Everything fit nicely in my carry-on camera bags. Batteries were tape with black electrical tape and stored in Ziploc bags. They were stored in the other carry-on luggage.
  • TSA did not inquiry about my MP.
  • Make sure to make a copy of your invoice just in case you have to pay a fee (of what I've read online) when arriving at Cancun. I did not have to show it at Cancun airport PHEW!
  • Don't flaunt your toy. Only respond when asked. Don't take it out if you don't have to.
  • If the custom agents inquiry about the drone, just say you are on vacation and would like to capture beautiful beaches and landscapes of their country so you can share it with the people back home. That will get you through the lines quickly.
Going through custom at Cancun:
  • Nothing happened. They checked my passport, asked where, how long, and purpose of trip.
  • When through xray machine and no questions asked (PHEW again!)
At the hotel:
  • Since I wanted to catch the sunrise, I woke up early to test.
First issue: condensation on gimbal. Leaving from an A/C hotel room to the beach (80 degrees at 5 AM) created such condensation on the lens that I had to wait for a while to wipe off the excess moisture. I tried again the next day by leaving the drone in the case and left on the hotel porch for about 15 - 20 minutes for the drone to equalize with outside temperatures. That seemed to help a lot.

Second issue: High winds. I was not sure what the wind speed was, but strong enough for me to stay close to shore. However, the wind added some nice effect to the blowing palm leaves.

Third issue: sand on the beach. Since I did not carry the landing pad with me, I resorted to using one of the flat beach chairs as a landing zone. I did not want the props to stir up the sand.
The hotel staff was pleasant. One asked if he could come with me to watch me fly.​
Since waking up early to catch the sunrise, there were only a few staff people and early risers on the beach making it ideal for my flights. I wish I could fly a bit further out, but the high winds kept me at bay most of the time. Oh well, I still have my MP.

Overall, I am glad I brought my MP with me to Mexico. Please note that, by no means, my experience in Mexico is considered the "norm". It can go either way. It is hard to predict how the local authorities will react. "Fly at your own risk" would be my last advise.

Good luck and keep on droning!

Watch my very first drone clips here:

Thanks for the additional testimony. Good footage there, but you weren't kidding about having some serious wind!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos