DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling from these countries? Banned electronics in cabin.

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/us-unveils-new-restrictions-on-travelers-from-eight-muslim-majority-countries/2017/03/21/d4efd080-0dcb-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html

Basically carry on items cannot have electronics larger than a cell/smartphone. So much for carrying your Mavic ...

These new rules kick in within a few days.

So if your return trip comes through, say Dubai, then you'll need to check your laptops, drones and batteries. But wait! You can't check your batteries....

The Donald and his dimwits are at it again....

I've got a big trip planned later in the year and I'm taking the Mavic, so this is troubling for me. Would the rules not permit putting the Mavic into checked baggage but taking the LiPo's in carry on? I think they are under the restricted dimensions?

So if they are really worried about security, why is a laptop bomb safer in the cargo hold than in the cabin?
Hope rest of Europe doesn't follow the example... any travel from South Africa to Europe is half the price through UAE/Qatar

So if they are really worried about security, why is a laptop bomb safer in the cargo hold than in the cabin?
Hope rest of Europe doesn't follow the example... any travel from South Africa to Europe is half the price through UAE/Qatar

The baggage scanners use Computed Tomography to not only image but characterize the contents of the baggage. Much more "sensitive" (if that's the right word) to things that could be explosive.

Bear in mind that 30 attackers could board a flight with small parts in each of their electronics and assemble those into something more capable and dangerous. Putting their stuff in checked baggage would kill that approach.

I've got a big trip planned later in the year and I'm taking the Mavic, so this is troubling for me. Would the rules not permit putting the Mavic into checked baggage but taking the LiPo's in carry on? I think they are under the restricted dimensions?

The Li-ion rule is a safety rule. It's assumed that a small fire in the cabin can easily be contained whereas a small fire in the cargo bay could spread.

The new rule is an anti-terrorism measure that forbids all electronics beyond a cell phone. That (to me) would include separate drone batteries regardless of their size.

The thing to do is call the airline before going to the airport. The fly in that ointment is that the people checking you in will have their own directives and opinions over what is and is not allowed.

Consistency and airport security are rarely in tune.

The baggage scanners use Computed Tomography to not only image but characterize the contents of the baggage. Much more "sensitive" (if that's the right word) to things that could be explosive.

Bear in mind that 30 attackers could board a flight with small parts in each of their electronics and assemble those into something more capable and dangerous. Putting their stuff in checked baggage would kill that approach.

Makes better sense thanks

Makes better sense thanks

I'm not sure that that is the reason behind it all. Speculation. They (Homeland Security) say it's because of some "intel" but they are not sharing any details. As if this announcement hasn't signalled to the origin that their fiendish plot has been detected.

My thoughts on preventing the items coming into the cabin were that the explosive range is probably limited if it's a fairly small device like a laptop therefore positioning is going to be key, in the hold it could be in the middle of a lot of bags but in the cabin, it would be possible to position it exactly where you want (such as at the side of the cabin where the device that did detonate was placed and apparently kicked all this off) to maximise the damage potential.

I'm not a fan of air travel anyway for all the hassle you have to go through, it took a long time to get through security at New York in December and it wouldn't be surprise me if they decide to extend these restrictions beyond the current countries.

There's a possibility this will become the norm. If so, I would think that LiPo bags will be required in checked bags. I am hoping that there will be enough backlash from business folks about checking their laptops, though.

My thoughts on preventing the items coming into the cabin were that the explosive range is probably limited if it's a fairly small device like a laptop therefore positioning is going to be key, in the hold it could be in the middle of a lot of bags but in the cabin, it would be possible to position it exactly where you want (such as at the side of the cabin where the device that did detonate was placed and apparently kicked all this off) to maximise the damage potential.

I'm not a fan of air travel anyway for all the hassle you have to go through, it took a long time to get through security at New York in December and it wouldn't be surprise me if they decide to extend these restrictions beyond the current countries.

OTOH if 50 attackers boarded an A-380, each with 100g of plastique buried in their laptops, that would be a combined 5 Kg charge.... combine that over the course of a 10 hour flight to ...

Saw that this morning. I was wondering how do people travel with UAV's now?
The list of airports is not small.

Then don't travel from those countries. What's so hard about that? Like there are so many Drone Pilots from those countries?

Then don't travel from those countries. What's so hard about that? Like there are so many Drone Pilots from those countries?

Biggest reason is cost.
Flight from South Africa to Europe via Doha on average $200 cheaper than direct flight. Sure other destinations have similar discounts

Biggest reason is cost.
Flight from South Africa to Europe via Doha on average $200 cheaper than direct flight. Sure other destinations have similar discounts

Wow that does suck if you have a transfer from those countries and have to check it. Oh well prepare for the worst. Oh and I know they don't want you to store Batteries in checked luggage, but who doesn't do that already?

Or there is the alternative explanation to consider - that it's an economic /protectionist move disguised as a security measure to prevent the airlines involved from lodging complaints, while forcing businessmen to fly US/UK airlines if they want to get any work done...
Retaliation for heavy subsidies of Arab airlines

Analysis | Trump won’t allow you to use iPads or laptops on certain airlines. Here’s why.

Very plausible. One nit: the ban is not on airlines, it's on flights from named airports of embarkation. But those airports serve a lot more non-US airlines bound for the US than US airlines. And yes, some of those airlines are heavily subsidized, in particular Emirates.

OTOH if 50 attackers boarded an A-380, each with 100g of plastique buried in their laptops, that would be a combined 5 Kg charge.... combine that over the course of a 10 hour flight to ...

If 50 attackers managed to get onto a plane together then they wouldn't need plastic explosives in the laptop to take the plane down, they wouldn't need anything else at all.

Some of these are hubs used in travel from Asia towards the US - Dubai, for example.
If 50 attackers managed to get onto a plane together then they wouldn't need plastic explosives in the laptop to take the plane down, they wouldn't need anything else at all.

How prey tell?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00