DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Italy - Regulations

MikeN

Reactions
Hello everyone, hope y'all are having a good day!

I will be traveling to Italy in August and started scouring the Internet for drone laws and such, unfortunately I couldn't find anything solid as many sources contradict each other.... :/

Are there any Italian locals here that could help me figuring the laws out? Do I need a license? If so, where can I apply for one beforehand? Any restrictions on where to fly ? (Crowded places, Airports, helipads etc..)

Thank you in advance, any help is very much appreciated! :)

-Michael

@MikeN Did you get a definitive answer on this one?

I’m also flying to Rome in August and would like to take my Mavic. Contacted Ryanair and they are more than ok with my taking the Mavic and 2 spare battery’s.

Fly with Ryanair isn't a problem, put your MP in hand luggage without battery! Battery in another bag! About Italy rules u can use your MP till you see it... obviously not in NFZ... not high than 70-80 m...

Hello all...

I was eager to come back on here and share my experience with everyone in this same situation since I just got back from my vacation ( Miami to Istanbul to Naples/ Rome). First and foremost I flew with Turkish Airlines, one of the countries on the electronics ban for "us" Americans. On the way to Europe absolutely no problem, I packed my MP in an Amazon ordered MP case and that was put into a back pack... only thing I did was discharge batteries to under 50% and stored them in a liposafe bag and labeled the liposafe bag in ENGLISH AND ITALIAN to state 2 batteries under 50% charge.

Flying over there was a breeze, I was able to fly in Naples, Island of Ischia, Sorrento, Amalfi and Rome. Some places are way over crowded and unsafe to fly so use the common sense and if you feel as if you shouldn't then don't. Example on the island of Ischia I flew from a beach and was questioned by the local authorities, I brought the MP down and basically said it was a drone for me to take nice pictures and films of their beautiful local beach. I kid you not they were perfectly fine with it since I was not flying OVER people but over the water.

Rome and Naples are more crowded but the reason I decided to fly was because in both places I stayed I had access to the roof tops and just literally flew strait up over the roof I launched from, again I didn't think it was the smartest but I was very hesitant to even move the mp around.

I will say that the level of certain places that you can launch from will throw off the MP, in example, launching off of a roof top in the Amalfi the MP prompted I already reach max altitude and would not let me go any higher. I disregarded the message with a swipe and brought it back down. I know I could of maybe adjusted settings but I just didn't want to chance losing the MP at any cost.

Now more nerve wrecking stuff... SO... on the way back to Miami we went Rome - Turkey- Miami.... Rome no problem kept on carry on the same way I had it packed on the way in. Once we reached Turley and went through 3 security stands yes 3, be fore boarding Turkish Airlines has there own security set up where they search everyones carry ones and personal items. I approached a clerk and he asked for what I have placed my book bag on table and said I have a drone and a camera. He asked me to take out the case and open the case to show the MP. He swabbed the MP and case to see if anything was going to activate the swab and politely told me I was good to go. I was nervous because I have read (on here and other sources) that anything larger than a cell phone would be taken from me let alone its a freaking drone. Nothing of that sense happened what so ever, I was relieved and now absolutely more confident in travelling with the MP on many more flights. Im glad I did my research and uploaded maps from the dji offline maps section, ALSO I contacted my cell phone carrier (sprint) and purchased a 5 day data plan that kept my cell data on LTE and did al my flying within those 5 days since I actually had data to use the apps and maps ( maybe over kill but well worth to have flown and capture the beauty of southern Italy)

I was in I was in Italy at the end of June. Traveled Air Ligeus via Dublin to Milan on the way out and British Air through London on the way home. Carried my Mavic and three total batteries in my backpack in a small case I have that holds everything. Had no problems going through security at any airport, went through the x-ray at every airport, screeners never blinked, SFO, Dublin, Milan, London. No issues.

I never flew in Milan. If our hotel had windows that opened wide enough, I probably would have risked it. I flew along the coast in Bonasolla. I read that it is illegal to fly above beaches/sunbathers during the summer so I stayed far enough away that I didn't bug anyone. Didn't see any cops out there, however.

We rented a house outside of Lucca and I got beautiful footage in and around the city. Never launched from city center but launched from the walls several times. Never few close to important buildings so I did have any run ins with local law enforcement. I did read and was also told by locals in Lucca that it was illegal to fly within cities. Locals told me they didn't think cops in Lucca would care unless someone complained, but recommended I didn't fly in Milan or Florence, the major cites I was visiting.

This site explains the laws pretty well. https://www.dronezine.it/english/

Hi guys, very intereting, thx!
I heard that for the cique terre we need a special autorisation? can somebody relate?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS