DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Monterey/San Francisco area

daveii

Reactions
I'm going to Monterey and then Oakland in September. I would like to bring my M2P and fly some while I'm there. I'm particularly interested in flying in Big Sur. I'm in North Carolina and all state parks here prohibit taking off and landing in state parks. I don't know anything about California and places to fly in the areas that I'll be visiting. Any tips/advise from UAS pilots from the area would be appreciated.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I'm going to Monterey and then Oakland in September. I would like to bring my M2P and fly some while I'm there. I'm particularly interested in flying in Big Sur. I'm in North Carolina and all state parks here prohibit taking off and landing in state parks. I don't know anything about California and places to fly in the areas that I'll be visiting. Any tips/advise from UAS pilots from the area would be appreciated.
Big Sur is off limits.
NOAA 15CFR922 Prohibits any flights below 1,000 feet due to the national Marine Sanctuaries

A lot of the Pacific Coast Highway is restricted and the area around LA for obvious reasons.

There is a thread here giving some details, but I would suggest you learn to read a sectional before you travel then you will understand where you can and cannot legally fly.

You can fly inland from the coast, there’s Forest Service and other public lands, and even some redwoods back there, but check the sectionals first.

Reactions: daveii
Big Sur is off limits.
NOAA 15CFR922 Prohibits any flights below 1,000 feet due to the national Marine Sanctuaries

A lot of the Pacific Coast Highway is restricted and the area around LA for obvious reasons.

There is a thread here giving some details, but I would suggest you learn to read a sectional before you travel then you will understand where you can and cannot legally fly.

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check the sectional and Airmap/KittyHawk in preparing to go and while I'm there. Disappointing but not unexpected that Big Sur would be no joy, but I was hoping local knowledge would steer me to the secret places.

Has anybody flown in the Monterey area?

Airmap shows the coastal areas around the peninsula are beyond the restrictions of the airport. So for instance Point Panos Lighthouse, Asilomar Beach and Spanish Bay appear to be in the clear.

Also understand that you can't fly over the water along the coast south of Carmela nd Monterey. But can you fly over the land along the coast and still get good shots of the water and terrain or you can't even be say within a mile or few miles of the coast? The Airmap map shows the red zone only from the coastline outwards to the water.

Are there good places to launch and land along the coastal highway (not to mention park) or does it get too windy?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost